How-To - Add a home screen shortcut to the Debug Menu

digiblur

I've only tested this on the Samsung Note2, but I believe it also works on the S3 since they are so close in code bases.  If anyone can test this on a S4 please let me know.

If you've used an HTC device before you probably know how easy it is to add a shortcut to the Debug screen.  On the Samsung devices it's a little bit harder.  Here's how to set it up:

Install SL4A from here:
https://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/downloads/detail?name=sl4a_r6.apk&can=2&q=

Open the App

Hit your Menu button -> Preferences -> Scroll down and check Hide Notifications.  (I think that's the only one I changed)

DEBUGS4LA1.png

Hit Menu -> Add -> Shell -> Type in debugmenu in front of the .sh
Type this exactly in the box below the file name(it is case sensitive!)

You can download the 4.3 Android Scripts with the information already typed and skip this step of creating the scripts, extract the zip to the sl4a folder on your sdcard:  -Download 4.3 Scripts-

For Android 4.3:

su -c 'am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://DEBUG'

For pre-Android 4.3:

am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://DEBUG

DO NOT put a space at the end.  I had to hit space as my keyboard was underlining the last word.

DEBUGS4LA2.png

Hit Menu -> Save & Exit

Tap debugmenu.sh -> then the little silver gear (2nd icon)

DEBUGS4LA3.png

It should open your debug menu.  Go ahead and back out to your home screen.

Tap and hold on your home screen and pick the option to add a Shortcut (this depends on your launcher)

Pick the S4LA Icon with description of Scripts

DEBUGS4LA4.png

Pick your debugmenu.sh

Make sure you pick the little silver gear

DEBUGS4LA5.png

That's it! 

Of course if you are running my ROM you won't have the 777468 code on the debug screen either, basically two actions to get into the LTE engineering screen.  

• Like 5

Tried on stock unrooted S4 for you but get this when running:

Broadcasting: Intent { act=android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE dat=android_secret_code://DEBUG }                                                                                 java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: broadcast asks to run as user -1 but is calling from user 0; this requires android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS_FULL or android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS                                                                                                                                                            at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1425)                                                                                                                                at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1379)                                                                                                                                at android.app.ActivityManagerProxy.broadcastIntent(ActivityManagerNative.java:2435)                                                                                                at com.android.commands.am.Am.sendBroadcast(Am.java:616)                                                                                                                            at com.android.commands.am.Am.run(Am.java:121)                                                                                                                                      at com.android.commands.am.Am.main(Am.java:82)                                                                                                                                      at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.nativeFinishInit(Native Method)                                                                                                              at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeInit.java:243)                                                                                                                   at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Tried on stock unrooted S4 for you but get this when running:

Broadcasting: Intent { act=android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE dat=android_secret_code://DEBUG }                                                                                 java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: broadcast asks to run as user -1 but is calling from user 0; this requires android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS_FULL or android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS                                                                                                                                                            at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1425)                                                                                                                                at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1379)                                                                                                                                at android.app.ActivityManagerProxy.broadcastIntent(ActivityManagerNative.java:2435)                                                                                                at com.android.commands.am.Am.sendBroadcast(Am.java:616)                                                                                                                            at com.android.commands.am.Am.run(Am.java:121)                                                                                                                                      at com.android.commands.am.Am.main(Am.java:82)                                                                                                                                      at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.nativeFinishInit(Native Method)                                                                                                              at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeInit.java:243)                                                                                                                   at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I'd be curious to see if runs using the terminal emulator.  The command will be the same.  To be honest I've never tried this command on a non-rooted phone though.

Yesssss I've been waiting for this forever. I was actually gonna PM you and ask if you had any ideas about this. I mean, SignalCheck Pro can now give me the hidden menu too, but this is faster. And more awesome.

Yesssss I've been waiting for this forever. I was actually gonna PM you and ask if you had any ideas about this. I mean, SignalCheck Pro can now give me the hidden menu too, but this is faster. And more awesome.

Not to take away from Mike's app by any means as his is easier to set up. I wonder who helped point him in the right direction?

• Like 1

Not to take away from Mike's app by any means as his is easier to set up. I wonder who helped point him in the right direction?

If you're trying to take credit, you're doing a spectacularly bad job :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stock Rooted SGS4 user here

I typed the command in terminal and got same error as compneo.

HOWEVER... if i enter su and get root access and run the command, it does indeed pop up the unlock code screen for the 777468 code.

now is there a way to get S4LA to call for root access before running the script?

actually i answered my own question...

su -c 'am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://DEBUG'

for the script will call root access for the command and thus allow you to enter Unlock Code to get into Debug menu :)

• 1 month later...

Digiblur

I typed followed the instructions and the little icon appears for a second then nothing? Here is what I typed?

Posted Image any thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Digiblur

I typed followed the instructions and the little icon appears for a second then nothing? Here is what I typed?

Posted Image any thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Make sure there are no spaces after it.

Try doing an adb shell from a PC and running the same command manually to see if it works.

Make sure there are no spaces after it.

Try doing an adb shell from a PC and running the same command manually to see if it works.

Yeah no spaces? adb shell? Thats way above my skill level digiblur i am running your rom does that change anyting being rooted?

Yeah no spaces? adb shell? Thats way above my skill level digiblur i am running your rom does that change anyting being rooted?

Nope that's all fine.

If you have the Note2 toolkit still there is a adb-toolkit file in the folder. Go to a command prompt. Plug up your phone. Go to that folder and type adb-toolkit shell and then you can do whatever commands you want to your phone. Type the one for the broadcast and see if it opens the debug on your device.

Nope that's all fine.

If you have the Note2 toolkit still there is a adb-toolkit file in the folder. Go to a command prompt. Plug up your phone. Go to that folder and type adb-toolkit shell and then you can do whatever commands you want to your phone. Type the one for the broadcast and see if it opens the debug on your device.

ok it worked doing it that way. Now what?

lol well Thanks digiblur it works now and i learned something new as well. This site is like an IT academy for dummies! So I wanted to figure out why it wouldnt work the first time so  I went back and was looking at the screen shot....well i might have spelled a word wrong. Sometimes its the simple things! I guess Ill head to work and do a little tower hunting still to many white dots in Utah!