Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

Haha yall need to bring some extra batteries since you guys seem to be running 20 apps at once unnecessarily or yall got some terrible signal.

-100  to -108 most of the time. I work in a RF shielded room fixing pagers, when I have to close the door nothing gets in or out. I just bought a 2nd battery on ebay for $10. I playback Coast Coast AM for 4 hours in the morning. I use TuneIn Radio Pro to record it while on my home WiFi.

I want the Note 3 to have a 5000 mah battery

5000 mah is about right for a phone with an 1080p HD screen and LTE. 3100 mah is barely tolerable now.

My Note 2 is dead about the time I get back to work from lunch.

What the actual...?!?!? What are ya'll running that is eating your batteries so fast?!?!  My Note 2 lasts all day for me unless I'm using it as an e-reader, then its 75% of the day.  You need to get BetterBatteryStats from the Play Store and monitor what WakeLocks are eating your battery, then have those developers clean up their apps.

-100 to -108 most of the time. I work in a RF shielded room fixing pagers, when I have to close the door nothing gets in or out. I just bought a 2nd battery on ebay for $10. I playback Coast Coast AM for 4 hours in the morning. I use TuneIn Radio Pro to record it while on my home WiFi.

Do you put your phone in airplane mode when you go in the RF shielded room?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Do you put your phone in airplane mode when you go in the RF shielded room?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Exactly those users should be putting their phones in airplane or 3G only mode.  No battery is going to be large enough to compensate for consistent weak signal.  That is a network issue and not a device issue.

Exactly those users should be putting their phones in airplane or 3G only mode. No battery is going to big large enough to compensate for consistent weak signal. That is a network issue and not a device issue.

No doubt about that.. I can easily last two days on the stock Note2 with average usage. Heavy usage gets me about a day.

A removable battery and sd card is a must for me on a phone. I don't use the removable battery often but when I am trips away from power sources it sure is nice to just pop in a new battery.

Come on barely tolerable?  Most people can get through a day with the Note 2 even with heavy use on a 3100 maH battery from what I have read.  Well sorry to break it to you but a 5000 maH ain't happening for the Note 3.  A bump of 0.2 in (5.5 in to 5.7 in) on the screen and a 720p to 1080p screen does not warrant a need for an additional 1900 maH on the battery.  That is just crazy.  Why stop at 5000 maH when you should ask for a 8000 maH battery while you are it.

Ahhh the ole, "heavy use" standard. If a phone can't last 1.5 days with constant web surfing and a weak data signal the battery is not big enough, IMO.

• Like 1

Ahhh the ole, "heavy use" standard. If a phone can't last 1.5 days with constant web surfing and a weak data signal the battery is not big enough, IMO.

Ahhh the ole "heavy use" unrealistic standard I see.  Really constant web surfing?  Let me guess you want a battery where you can stream youtube, netflix, spotify, pandora, iheartradio all at once along while being able to web surf on chrome, firefox, dolphin browser all at once also being able to talk on the phone, text, and use the S-note.  Is this a good enough heavy use profile?

How many hours is defined as 1.5 days?  You certainly aren't web surfing when you are sleeping, showering or driving.  Man I guess you don't get any work done if all you are doing is constant web surfing on your phone.  Also the chances of you not being in an area where you don't have access to some power source to charge your phone in 1.5 days is pretty rare. 

Please don't say ...well if I were in the woods and I really need a battery to last a week then what.  All I can is get extra batteries if this is such a "first world problem".  A battery bump to 3500-3600 maH for the Note 3 should be good enough for most folks.

Ahhh the ole "heavy use" unrealistic standard I see.  Really constant web surfing?  Let me guess you want a battery where you can stream youtube, netflix, spotify, pandora, iheartradio all at once along while being able to web surf on chrome, firefox, dolphin browser all at once also being able to talk on the phone, text, and use the S-note.  Is this a good enough heavy use profile?

How many hours is defined as 1.5 days?  You certainly aren't web surfing when you are sleeping, showering or driving.  Man I guess you don't get any work done if all you are doing is constant web surfing on your phone.  Also the chances of you not being in an area where you don't have access to some power source to charge your phone in 1.5 days is pretty rare. 

Please don't say ...well if I were in the woods and I really need a battery to last a week then what.  All I can is get extra batteries if this is such a "first world problem".  A battery bump to 3500-3600 maH for the Note 3 should be good enough for most folks.

I'm still waiting for a battery breakthrough here.. lol I mean our phones are becoming beast and can match laptops.. But it seems they're stuck on that :/

• Like 2

1.5 days = 36 hours. Sorry for that brainbuster.

Let's use a real world scenario of a Friday or Saturday for people who have a life and wouldn't be tied to a charger. Go to work, lunch, work, happy hour, out for dinner, club/bar/sporting event. Phone is easily dead before the end of the night. You have to take into account weak signal because of Sprint's admittedly spotty coverage.

Sure you might be able to "access to some power source" but how much fun is that to hunt for when you're out trying to do stuff? Sorry didn't get your message cuz my phone was dead since I decided to not find a power source.

I'm not quite sure why you're acting like the one appointed to determine what "most folks" need in a battery.

• Like 1

1.5 days = 36 hours. Sorry for that brainbuster.

Let's use a real world scenario of a Friday or Saturday for people who have a life and wouldn't be tied to a charger. Go to work, lunch, work, happy hour, out for dinner, club/bar/sporting event. Phone is easily dead before the end of the night. You have to take into account weak signal because of Sprint's admittedly spotty coverage.

Sure you might be able to "access to some power source" but how much fun is that to hunt for when you're out trying to do stuff? Sorry didn't get your message cuz my phone was dead since I decided to not find a power source.

I'm not quite sure why you're acting like the one appointed to determine what "most folks" need in a battery.

Oh you mean literally 36 hours nonstop? But even your scenario is not even 24 hours and I know you sleep.  You can charge it while you are sleeping. Anyways besides that point I am not saying I am the "appointed one" to determine battery life for each person..LOL.  I am just expressing a realistic battery size capacity that Samsung could be pondering.   Sorry if you feel this way. The fact is that most people can get by with the current battery capacity of 3100 maH.  Could Samsung make the battery even bigger?  Sure but the trade off and the compromise of a 4000 or 5000 maH battery could be more weight or thickness and not to mention the cost.

Also what is so wrong with the idea of carrying an extra battery around for your Note 2? If certain folks like yourself are just power users on their smartphones, just spend the money to buy a spare battery and problem solved.  My cousin uses his smartphone a lot due to work and he always has spare batteries he swaps in and out.  If the Note 2 had a non-removable battery you may have a point for that small group but the fact is that the Note 2 battery is removable makes this debate rather silly.  I expect the Note 3 to have a removable battery since now it appears they are the only major OEM that still has removable batteries which sets them apart and what consumers love.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with carrying an extra battery, except you have to buy one and have it pre-charged, and most manufacturers are not making cradles that charge just the battery.

I saw a pic of what was claimed to be the Note 3 without a back cover and it showed the battery - was not focused enough to show the size. Definitely made it seem like the battery would be removable. Just fyi.

• Like 1

Oh you mean literally 36 hours nonstop? But even your scenario is not even 24 hours and I know you sleep.  You can charge it while you are sleeping. Anyways besides that point I am not saying I am the "appointed one" to determine battery life for each person..LOL.  I am just expressing a realistic battery size capacity that Samsung could be pondering.   Sorry if you feel this way. The fact is that most people can get by with the current battery capacity of 3100 maH.  Could Samsung make the battery even bigger?  Sure but the trade off and the compromise of a 4000 or 5000 maH battery could be more weight or thickness and not to mention the cost.

Also what is so wrong with the idea of carrying an extra battery around for your Note 2? If certain folks like yourself are just power users on their smartphones, just spend the money to buy a spare battery and problem solved.  My cousin uses his smartphone a lot due to work and he always has spare batteries he swaps in and out.  If the Note 2 had a non-removable battery you may have a point for that small group but the fact is that the Note 2 battery is removable makes this debate rather silly.  I expect the Note 3 to have a removable battery since now it appears they are the only major OEM that still has removable batteries which sets them apart and what consumers love.

Maybe you are one of the folks who hardly uses their phone? but I think it is a totally reasonable standard for a battery to last AT LEAST 1.5 days with heavy use. I currently have the S3 and the battery is terrible I have to charge twice a day at least usually and do not use it very heavily at all. Maybe you are too young to remember when phones (basic ones) lasted several days and bragged about a week of standby.

Its insane for a user to have to stress when out whether their is going to die when they charged it overnight. Carrying an extra battery is a pain. Put decent capacity battery in a phone to start with.

IMHO Most of the battery issues I have are app related. I could get a full day but the apps I run don't do a acceptable job managing battery drain. I just spent about $30 on ebay for a spare battery and 2 docks that can charge the phone and a 2nd battery in the back. I think I may get a 2nd spare battery too. One dock and battery at home and the another set at work.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Maybe you are one of the folks who hardly uses their phone? but I think it is a totally reasonable standard for a battery to last AT LEAST 1.5 days with heavy use. I currently have the S3 and the battery is terrible I have to charge twice a day at least usually and do not use it very heavily at all. Maybe you are too young to remember when phones (basic ones) lasted several days and bragged about a week of standby.

Its insane for a user to have to stress when out whether their is going to die when they charged it overnight. Carrying an extra battery is a pain. Put decent capacity battery in a phone to start with.

Sorry but yes I do know when cell phones use to last for several days but they were small 1.5-2 inch screens though.  I am not a young pup.  Now granted I don't have a Note 2 to vouch for how long a typical day for me would last me.  I do have a Photon 4G and I know when I sat at my old desk at work I had a huge battery drain and that was due to me being deep indoors.  Since I have moved to my new desk where I am near a window, my battery life has been drastically improved since my phone is not constantly screaming for a signal.

I do agree that 1.5 days is totally reasonable and there are people here who can get that on the Note 2 currently with a 3100 maH battery.  It was just that when some people were requesting battery capacities that can last for 1.5 days literally 36 hours of constant web surfing/video browsing that is a different story.  

I don't know about your situation but I have to guess that your battery problems are due to you being in an area where you have an extremely weak signal (far away from tower or deep indoors) OR your battery in general is bad where you may need to buy a swap a new battery to verify if this is the case.  I doubt you get a huge battery drain when you are out in an area with great 3G/LTE signal.  There are too many folks that can vouch for better battery life while in that situation.  In your case unless you have a 8000 maH battery that is not going to do anything.   Again carrying an extra battery is not a pain.  You can keep the extra battery in your car or at work.

At some point adding a 8000 maH battery does not make any sense since it would weigh a lot and phones would need to be made so huge to accommodate that size (for a reference the Nexus 10 tablet has a 9000 maH battery.  Do you really to carry a 10 inch phone just to have crazy battery life?).  An advancement in battery technology is really the true solution to have phones, tablets, etc last for days which is in the works.

I think it speaks volumes to the service we currently have when people's default suggestion is to turn off the service we are paying for.

This is why CDMA 800 and LTE 800 are going to be crucial to enhancing the Sprint network overall.  I mean there is not much you can do if your main frequency band is 1900 MHz.  The physics of 1900 MHz frequency are what they are in that the signal doesn't travel as far indoors.   This is why Tmobile is in the same pickle as Sprint which is why Sprint and Tmobile are the 3rd and 4th major carriers.  Verizon and ATT have the edge because they have 700 and 850 MHz for LTE, voice and 3G.  However once Sprint does deploy CDMA 800 and LTE 800 nationwide it will help close the gap against Veriozn and ATT although both ATT and Verizon still have more capacity at lower bands.  

This is where 600 MHz will come into play in the future.  Sprint and especially Tmobile need to score big on the 600 MHz auction to get on par with Verizon and ATT for LTE.

I think it speaks volumes to the service we currently have when people's default suggestion is to turn off the service we are paying for.

It's a more obvious sign that battery technology hasn't kept up with usage demands. Until then, you don't need to leave 3g/4g constantly on - otherwise it'll drain your battery.

Current rumored specs:

• Display: 5.68-inch Full HD SuperAMOLED
  • Chipset: Exynos 5 Octa 5420 CPU at 1.8GHz with Mali-T628 MP6 GPU (3G version only, chipset for 4G version unknown)
  • RAM: 3GB (4G version)
  • Camera: 13-megapixel with Optical Image Stabilization
  • Storage: 16/32/64GB + microSD
  • Battery: 3,200mAh

Source
This phone is going to be a damn beast. 3GB of ram and an octo core? That's more core than my laptop xD lol. If this is true, I'm getting it.

• Like 3

Rukin1, on 12 Aug 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

Current rumored specs:

• Display: 5.68-inch Full HD SuperAMOLED
  • Chipset: Exynos 5 Octa 5420 CPU at 1.8GHz with Mali-T628 MP6 GPU (3G version only, chipset for 4G version unknown)
  • RAM: 3GB (4G version)
  • Camera: 13-megapixel with Optical Image Stabilization
  • Storage: 16/32/64GB + microSD
  • Battery: 3,200mAh
Source

This phone is going to be a damn beast. 3GB of ram and an octo core? That's more core than my laptop xD lol. If this is true, I'm getting it.

You forgot to mention that there will be 2 variants of the Note 3 phone. From the link you posted the US version should be the SM-N9005 given the unknown CPU/GPU (pretty obvious its going to be Snapdragon 800) and the LTE connectivity capability. The Exynos processor is only for the SM-900 model and doesn't support LTE.

The most disappointing part of these specs that I am not to keen on is the 3200 maH battery.... :( . I was really hoping to see a 3500 maH battery to account for the slight increase in screen size.  I guess maybe the trade off is a little more slimness to the phone instead of making it a larger battery device.  This probably leads me to believe that the dimensions of the Note 3 are going to be similar to the Note 2 in terms of width and height but the depth (thickness) of the phone will be reduced by several mm.

I am glad to hear that it will have the latest Android 4.3 software, micro SD card support and most likely removable battery.  Thanks for the link.

About the core thing, you do know that only 4 cores will be active any time.  Four of the cores are used for heavy tasks (video, gaming, etc) and the other four cores are low power that are used for (email, web browsing, texting).

• Like 1

I am looking forward to this phone also.  I had the first note and loved it but had to get the S3 when my son broke my screen.  I wanted the Note II but it was not out in time.  Now I have managed to break my S3 screen and do not want to make the same mistake again.  I do hope the Note 3 comes with a 32GB option.  The 16 is just too small. it is impossible to load movies and things on it for offline use with so little space.  Play movies does not allow you to use the SD card for storage.  

You forgot to mention that there will be 2 variants of the Note 3 phone. From the link you posted the US version should be the SM-N9005 given the unknown CPU/GPU (pretty obvious its going to be Snapdragon 800) and the LTE connectivity capability. The Exynos processor is only for the SM-900 model and doesn't support LTE.

The most disappointing part of these specs that I am not to keen on is the 3200 maH battery.... :( . I was really hoping to see a 3500 maH battery to account for the slight increase in screen size.  I guess maybe the trade off is a little more slimness to the phone instead of making it a larger battery device.  This probably leads me to believe that the dimensions of the Note 3 are going to be similar to the Note 2 in terms of width and height but the depth (thickness) of the phone will be reduced by several mm.

I am glad to hear that it will have the latest Android 4.3 software, micro SD card support and most likely removable battery.  Thanks for the link.

About the core thing, you do know that only 4 cores will be active any time.  Four of the cores are used for heavy tasks (video, gaming, etc) and the other four cores are low power that are used for (email, web browsing, texting).

There is also this rumor that it will come with a 3,450mAh battery that ran today so I guess it is still up in the air

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/12/rumors-point-towards-the-galaxy-note-3-launching-with-android-4-3-and-3450mah-battery/

There is also this rumor that it will come with a 3,450mAh battery that ran today so I guess it is still up in the air

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/12/rumors-point-towards-the-galaxy-note-3-launching-with-android-4-3-and-3450mah-battery/

Nice.  I would much rather take a 3450 maH battery than a 3200 maH battery.