Novatel MiFi 500 (Sprint Tri-Band Hotspot)

dedub

Is anyone that has this device also having LTE issues like the people that have the LG G2 and the Nexus 5?

No. The LTE problem being experienced on Triband devices are only with models that have phones. Hotspots are data only and unaffected. It's because of the eCSFB on the Triband LTE devices that allow the use of a single radio for LTE and voice. The network is not ready to handle this capability in all places and is being upgraded.

So Triband hotspots and USB dongles are unaffected. Even Triband smartphones will work on LTE if the voice is disabled by putting the device in LTE only mode.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

No. The LTE problem being experienced on Triband devices are only with models that have phones. Hotspots are data only and unaffected. It's because of the eCSFB on the Triband LTE devices that allow the use of a single radio for LTE and voice. The network is not ready to handle this capability in all places and is being upgraded.

So Triband hotspots and USB dongles are unaffected. Even Triband smartphones will work on LTE if the voice is disabled by putting the device in LTE only mode.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

ok thx.

• 3 weeks later...

Random question: but on the Nexus 5, I can put in my inactive Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile SIM to check out some network data and scope into the work going on in my area on each network even though I don't have service. Would I be able to do something like this with the hotspot to see when I start picking up 800 / 2500 LTE (using an inactive SIM)?

On the mifi 500, is there a way to prioritize LTE bands in the settings? Can you force it to only look for/connect to a certain band LTE? Thanks.

Not that I am aware of. IIRC it wont even tell you which band you are on.

On the mifi 500, is there a way to prioritize LTE bands in the settings? Can you force it to only look for/connect to a certain band LTE? Thanks.

With your msl you can change the configuration

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

With your msl you can change the configuration

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

That brings up my next question: is Sprint reluctant to give that number to customers? What's a good way to get it?

I purchased one off of eBay recently to see if I could simply take my SIM from my Torque and put it into the MiFi.

First off, I got the MSL very easily by doing a chat with Sprint, under contact us. I was not logged in nor did I give any more info than then needed to start the chat. Here's how it went:

Customer Name: *** ****
EMAIL: UPdownLoAD@*****.***
Chat Type: Device / Network
Chat Reason: I am trying to factory reset an inactive hotspot, but I need the 6 digit code (MSL) to reset it please. The ESN is 256691XXXXXXXXXXXX Thanks!!
  Customer: I am trying to factory reset an inactive hotspot, but I need the 6 digit code (MSL) to reset it please. The ESN is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Thanks!!
  Chad H: I can try to get that for you just a moment .
  Customer: Thank you :)
  Chad H: No problem.
  Chad H: Just another second .
  Chad H: Its 356075.
  Customer: That worked, thank you very much!! I'll leave you a great survey!! Enjoy the rest of your day

So that should hopefully be how easy it is for anyone to get an MSL. And yes, I did leave him a great survey as promised :)

Simply put, I cannot put my SIM card from my Torque in the MiFI and get it to work. It appears even for LTE only mode that I need to have it match my phone number/MSID for "authentication" before it will "connect" to LTE. I'm not trying to connect to 3G, as that would require me to clone my ESN, not just simply program it to match my number. Unfortunately even with the MSL I have yet to figure out how to manually program it.

But I can access DEBUG info and change the priority!! I can definitely see an LTE signal strength and sector ID like the iPhone. I do not have an inactive SIM, as it didn't come with one, so I can not verify that this info can be seen without an activated SIM card.

• Like 1

I purchased one off of eBay recently to see if I could simply take my SIM from my Torque and put it into the MiFi.

First off, I got the MSL very easily by doing a chat with Sprint, under contact us. I was not logged in nor did I give any more info than then needed to start the chat. Here's how it went:

Customer Name: *** ****

EMAIL: UPdownLoAD@*****.***

Chat Type: Device / Network

Chat Reason: I am trying to factory reset an inactive hotspot, but I need the 6 digit code (MSL) to reset it please. The ESN is 256691XXXXXXXXXXXX Thanks!!

Customer: I am trying to factory reset an inactive hotspot, but I need the 6 digit code (MSL) to reset it please. The ESN is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Thanks!!

Chad H: I can try to get that for you just a moment .

Customer: Thank you :)

Chad H: No problem.

Chad H: Just another second .

Chad H: Its 356075.

Customer: That worked, thank you very much!! I'll leave you a great survey!! Enjoy the rest of your day

So that should hopefully be how easy it is for anyone to get an MSL. And yes, I did leave him a great survey as promised :)

Simply put, I cannot put my SIM card from my Torque in the MiFI and get it to work. It appears even for LTE only mode that I need to have it match my phone number/MSID for "authentication" before it will "connect" to LTE. I'm not trying to connect to 3G, as that would require me to clone my ESN, not just simply program it to match my number. Unfortunately even with the MSL I have yet to figure out how to manually program it.

But I can access DEBUG info and change the priority!! I can definitely see an LTE signal strength and sector ID like the iPhone. I do not have an inactive SIM, as it didn't come with one, so I can not verify that this info can be seen without an activated SIM card.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. You said you can set the band order priority, but can you force it to just seek one particular band of LTE?

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. You said you can set the band order priority, but can you force it to just seek one particular band of LTE?

Unbelievably, yes, I just tried. I set it to 41 only by deleting 25 & 26. It rebooted and saved the settings, but it did kick the MiFi to "LTE Preferred" whereas I had it on "LTE Only".

There are also options to enable/disable 26 & 41 without needing to do my method if you are still wanting 25.

uploadfromtaptalk1385849609072.jpg

• Like 1

<snip...>

Out of curiosity, like some phones, can you see what Band it *would* be connected to without your account being active? On my Nexus, my engineering screens populate, even with inactive AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs / accounts. 

Guys, experimentation for the sake of knowledge is fine.  Heck, we encourage it.  But my spidey sense is tingling here.

At least one of you is probably trying to get "unlimited" LTE data on a tri band hotspot by using your handset SIM card, which is provisioned for "unlimited" data.  Know that is cheating the system, violating your Sprint Ts and Cs.  If this discussion pushes the envelope, we will shut it down, and members may be subject to disciplinary action.

AJ

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, like some phones, can you see what Band it *would* be connected to without your account being active? On my Nexus, my engineering screens populate, even with inactive AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs / accounts.

I have no clue. Because it's not giving permission to access LTE but letting me view Debug info, I think it can be treated as an inactive SIM.

Just got my mifi activated and rolling along on LTE. Question: how do i see which band I'm connected to in the web interface? I can't seem to find it. Also, I have my msl from Sprint. Does anyone know where to enter that or how? I'm really curious because my phone LTE (b25) is always dead slow at work while outside, and the mifi had me cruising along at 15mbps. I want to know if it's 26 or 41. Thanks.

Just got my mifi activated and rolling along on LTE. Question: how do i see which band I'm connected to in the web interface? I can't seem to find it. Also, I have my msl from Sprint. Does anyone know where to enter that or how? I'm really curious because my phone LTE (b25) is always dead slow at work while outside, and the mifi had me cruising along at 15mbps. I want to know if it's 26 or 41. Thanks.

For the band you're on, go to http://192.168.1.1/debug (it'll ask you for your password). I think you only need your MSL for advanced settings, where you can change band order and en/disable the 800 and 2500 bands.

• Like 1

Anyone with a MiFi notice it has LTE connection problems? Specifically on band 25. I've factory reset it twice, and re-activated. I'm starting to think it has a defective radio. It will only connect to band 41. When there's no band 41, but a solid coverage of 25, it just sits on 3G. Anyone experience this?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My MiFi downloaded a software update today. The display looks a little different (now shows a 3G icon at the top), and instead of Sprint it says "00307" ?? Not sure what that's about!

I believe it's a SIM error. Pull battery, pull SIM, try again. If that doesn't work, you might need to reprovision it or factory reset. Good luck!