Netgear Zing 771S tri band LTE mobile hotspot discussion

delta772er

Kris,

Did you ever get this working. I see some on Amazon 

Side note, I took apart my previous Sierra Hotspot dock and attached the antennas connectors to the Zing and the signal got about -10 dBm improvement. So I just ordered the official dock for work, but I can't see myself getting a second one to put it in the car. 

TS

Never got the chance to get the antenna for it....May not for the forseeable future too....wanna know why....

Funny story....

My wife text me today and said, "Bad News" and i said oh shit....what happened....she sends me a picture of my Zing in the washer.....after the cycle was done....It was in one of my pockets....SMDH.....In rice now....gonna let it sit for a few days....

DAMN...

• Like 1

so whats the lowest lte threshold you guys have noticed with a zing indoors and decent speed/ping? 

Im thinking of ditching satellite internet and getting one of these with a 12gb plan which would be 2 more gb than what i have now.

so whats the lowest lte threshold you guys have noticed with a zing indoors and decent speed/ping?

Im thinking of ditching satellite internet and getting one of these with a 12gb plan which would be 2 more gb than what i have now.

It varies by signal quality and sector burden. However, I have had a usable Band 41 LTE signal down to as low as -139dBm RSRP. I couldn't touch it, or it would drop the connection. But I could manage around 3-4Mbps DL with that signal strength.

Most of the time, I would drop out between -120dBm and -130dBm.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

U can always look into getting hotspot that can be hooked up to external antenna, otherwise I would recommend putting it up on the upstairs/highest floor of the house.

my bad its the 2500, googled it and came right up. Anyone know what the 1900 lte threshold is? The tower i would be suing is only going ot have 1900 lte for at least i assume another two years.

• Like 1

my bad its the 2500, googled it and came right up. Anyone know what the 1900 lte threshold is? The tower i would be suing is only going ot have 1900 lte for at least i assume another two years.

Not sure you could "Sue" a tower...but hey...why not!  ;)

• Like 2

Not sure of the Zing but the older SW Tri -Fi has connected for me at -104 at about 4 mbps; you also need to

look at signal quality as well not just strength..this was for 1900 mHz (inside)

Not sure you could "Sue" a tower...but hey...why not!  ;)

In the case of dmaxx67 v. monopole...

:P

AJ

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

P.S...The logo doesn't "spin" when there's activity...

It just sits there?  It does not spin?  So, it does not sit and spin?

:P

AJ

• Like 2

NTG9X15C_45.04.12.00

12/20/2013

Enhancements:

• Improved Network hand-offs between LTE bands
  • B41 throughput improvements
  • Spark icon
  • Wi-Fi popup when tethered

Raw...my tri-fi comes up for an upgrade here in 10 days; do you like your Zing?  Do the radios have

good reach?  Have you actually connected to band 41 with your device here in Vegas?

Raw...my tri-fi comes up for an upgrade here in 10 days; do you like your Zing?  Do the radios have

good reach?  Have you actually connected to band 41 with your device here in Vegas?

Yes, I actually do like it a lot. The touchscreen could be a tad more responsive, but it's nothing that I would make a big stink over. I do like Netgear's Zing Manager software to administer the device from your smartphone, tablet or computer. Not surprisingly, it does seem to pull an LTE signal better than my Note II does. The desktop dock available for it is a worthwhile option if you plan on using it in stationary locations frequently. I use it together with the Zing at work with my iPad as sometimes I prefer not to use the company computer in my office to casually browse the internet. I haven't found any Band 41 to connect to here in Vegas yet. The only time I did was in SoCal back in August. I pulled down speeds in the mid-30 Mbps range tethered to my phone over WiFi while riding in a vehicle at ~70 MPH so it performed admirably on Band 41 to me when given a chance.

If you're still finding WiMAX more than LTE it might be worth it wait a bit longer for Sprint to fill in more LTE sites. Also I know waiting for new technology is often a bad idea because there's always something new and improved coming eventually. However, I don't think that the Zing (or the Novatel MiFi) support carrier aggregation so when Sprint starts deploying 20+20+20 TD-LTE, this device won't be able to take full advantage. Presumably, the next generation of hotspot devices that Sprint releases will support carrier aggregation. That's only glaring downside that I can think of at the moment.

• Like 3

P.S...The logo doesn't "spin" when there's activity...

Interesting. I was under the impression that it spins when a data is coming through. At least that's what I thought on the phone. I've yet to update the Zing to see if the Spark icon and software is updated. Good to know.

Yes, I actually do like it a lot. The touchscreen could be a tad more responsive, but it's nothing that I would make a big stink over. I do like Netgear's Zing Manager software to administer the device from your smartphone, tablet or computer. Not surprisingly, it does seem to pull an LTE signal better than my Note II does. The desktop dock available for it is a worthwhile option if you plan on using it in stationary locations frequently. I use it together with the Zing at work with my iPad as sometimes I prefer not to use the company computer in my office to casually browse the internet. I haven't found any Band 41 to connect to here in Vegas yet. The only time I did was in SoCal back in August. I pulled down speeds in the mid-30 Mbps range tethered to my phone over WiFi while riding in a vehicle at ~70 MPH so it performed admirably on Band 41 to me when given a chance.

Yeah I like the software and I've been wanting toi get the external dock port that has boost antennas but just keep forgetting to do so for work.

TS

Well i turn on the Zing this morning and there is an update, I install it and get the message that no SIM card is installed. needless to say a reboot is necessary after apply any update, so no message after that. But for some reason i cannot get a GPS fix. It just continues to try to search for a satellite and nothing.

Well i turn on the Zing this morning and there is an update, I install it and get the message that no SIM card is installed. needless to say a reboot is necessary after apply any update, so no message after that. But for some reason i cannot get a GPS fix. It just continues to try to search for a satellite and nothing.

Yeah I had the problem with the SIM card message too. As you mentioned, a reboot fixed it. I didn't have the GPS issue. Mine works just fine so I have no suggestions to offer. :(

My Zing just pulled down the update. I had the same SIM card message, also solved by a reboot.

I am perplexed by the Spark logo. It lights up on band 25. AFAICT, it is just an ordinary LTE signal. No CA, not even band 41. Not sure what it tells me that the "LTE" indicator doesn't already.

What am I missing?

I had the SIM card issue top when I first loaded the update. But a reboot fixed it. Interesting....

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My zing was working perfectly until the upgrade. The connection keep droping and when LTE is gone, it takes zing a while to pick up 3G.

Looks like after upgrade, Zing requires a pretty good LTE signal to connect to. If signal is weak, it will keep disconnecting.