Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Brazil is closer to us in size and population and they have four major and about 3 more significant minor carriers.

Personally I wouldn't consider those minor operators significant. One has less than a hundred thousand subs, another has less than a million subs and then there's Nextel Brazil with less than 4 million subs.

As far as the four major operators, their subscribers are *relatively* close in size. The difference between the largest and the smallest is only @ 26 million subs. It just seems like a different dynamic than the wireless landscape here in the USA.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't necessarily fall definitively on one side or the other on the notion of the merger, I can see elements of both argument sides I suppose.   But I'll simply say this:  when I keep seeing people against it base any significant portion of their argument/reasoning based on basically 'it works well/doesn't work well in X' country I cringe and shake my head.  I don't think you should ever automatically take any situation in life and think that simply trying to mimic what's done elsewhere is going to be right/good/successful, much less best for you or anyone else.  Humanity is a conglomerate of individuals, and in this context, the same can be said of the world of nations: each one is different with different circumstances.  There may be similarities in some cases, but there will always be differences too.  AJ touched on this same thought process in a bit more specifics.

If there's one thing history teaches, its that at least some of the greatest successes are forged by people who think outside the box or otherwise dare to buck against the grain/status quo and dare to try something others poo-poo'ed and summarily proved the naysayers wrong.  I'm certainly not saying Sprint nor T-mo merging should automatically be approved or praised based on that mindset alone, everything should be evaluated based on its merits ideally by those in power---but I don't ever like seeing progress hindered based primarily on the notion that 'well it didn't/doesn't work there/for them, so it would only be a negative/detriment for us/if done in our situation'.  Ever. 

• Like 2

To the student body, I pose this question: what country is the analog for the US in terms of population size, geographic area, and wireless coverage extent?

I contend there is none. The US stands alone.

AJ

• Like 5

Sprint buying T-mobile would be a mess in my opinion, different technologies, different frequencies.  It would of been a benefit if Sprint bought Cricket, Metro PCS, US Cellular and n-telos.... Although Cricket not that I think about it probably not much there, they are on in very select markets.  In the future US Cellular and n-telos I would think would be a good chance they could buy them out; with out FCC and the other major carriers giving fuss about it.   I guess I just dont see where why T-mobile bought Metro and AT&T bought Cricket (different technologies).... Sometimes makes me wonder what they have in mind.... 

So with the latest news of the possible break down of a buyout agreement with tmobile coming from DT. What are the chances of Sprint and Dish working on an agreement to piece together a network share agreement and mobile video plan as stated in this article. http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/221050-dish-secures-spectrum-for-150mbps-lte-wireless-broadband-to-rural-homes-in-the-us

• Like 1

I don't know but it looks like the tmobile merge is a dead letter. It would be foolish for them to continue give both the DOJ and FCC have indicated that it won't pass muster with them. In my opinion Sprint should focus on increasing their time table for their 2.6 rollout, get aggressive with promotion and go after market share the old fashion way. Maybe look at acquiring a regional carrier.

• Like 1

So with the latest news of the possible break down of a buyout agreement with tmobile coming from DT. What are the chances of Sprint and Dish working on an agreement to piece together a network share agreement and mobile video plan as stated in this article. http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/221050-dish-secures-spectrum-for-150mbps-lte-wireless-broadband-to-rural-homes-in-the-us

Interesting wonder how all this will play out

Sprint buying T-mobile would be a mess in my opinion, different technologies, different frequencies.  It would of been a benefit if Sprint bought Cricket, Metro PCS, US Cellular and n-telos.... Although Cricket not that I think about it probably not much there, they are on in very select markets.  In the future US Cellular and n-telos I would think would be a good chance they could buy them out; with out FCC and the other major carriers giving fuss about it.   I guess I just dont see where why T-mobile bought Metro and AT&T bought Cricket (different technologies).... Sometimes makes me wonder what they have in mind.... 

Technology isn't a concern with LTE being the new de-facto standard in wireless technology. T-Mobile is already converting their AWS holdings to LTE and moving HSPA to PCS where they can. All Sprint would have to do is add the necessary equipment into newer phones, and voila!

• Like 1

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-05/deutsche-telekom-ceo-said-to-consider-t-mobile-sale-less-likely.html?cmpid=yhoo

Is DT being sincere or posturing to try and get a higher bid?

Deutsche Telekom Said to See T-Mobile Sale as Less Likely

Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE) Chief Executive Officer Timotheus Hoettges told directors yesterday that a sale of the T-Mobile US Inc. (TMUS) unit is less likely in the near term because of regulatory hurdles, according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter.

While selling its 67 percent holding in the fourth-largest U.S. wireless operator to SoftBank Corp. (9984) remains the preferred option, Bonn-based Deutsche Telekom is open to alternatives, said the people, asking not to be identified because the deliberations are private. One option is a disposal of some of the shares after a lockup expires in November, although that isn’t preferred because it would mean missing out on a premium from a straight sale, they said. Hoettges wasn’t more specific about the timetable of a potential sale of the T-Mobile stake, which has a market value of about $17 billion, the people said.

• Like 2

Interesting wonder how all this will play out

Someway or another, Sprint and Dish will be involved in somekind of tie-up. Sprint could not make a business of of the wireless cable (BRS), but maybe with the help of Dish, they can ....

• Like 1

I think you may be on to something here. Consider that if the rumors are true that Softbank are/were in discussion with Deutche Telecom this past year and as close as a few weeks ago, about acquiring T-mobile, why wouldn't DT inform Son that they are not going to sell T-Mobile? It wouldn't make sense for Son to be going to Washington to make a presentation about consolidation in the wireless industry (thus alluding to a T-Mobile purchase). Either DT is stating this to get a higher bid or Son has an xyz plan that no one has yet thought of and will do the presentation as to that plan.

Someway or another, Sprint and Dish will be involved in somekind of tie-up. Sprint could not make a business of of the wireless cable (BRS), but maybe with the help of Dish, they can ....

If Sprint recently announced a Sparks wifi home router, I wouldn't doubt they can do a Hopper like device for Dish, if they do a sharing agreement of some kind.

I wonder if that presentation next week will be streamed.

TS

• Like 1

...Son will still have a hard time convincing policy wonks inside the Beltway of his plan. Even though a merger with T-Mobile would effectively double Sprint's customer base, it does very little to improve its spectrum position or expand its footprint. And it's these two factors -- footprint especially -- that determine success in the wireless market.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57620021-94/why-sprints-push-for-a-t-mobile-merger-will-likely-be-in-vain/

Discuss...

AJ

• Like 1

I thought Sprint had way more coverage than tmobile? They basically said that Sprint also has no rural presents which at least in my city I know is not true. I was getting LTE in the middle of nowhwere on my way to Clearwater using the boondocks route.

I think the article is mostly on point. Although it would probably be a quick way for sprint to increase cell site density in many cities. But out side of that I can't see a real boon for the consumer here. And the point about rural coverage is a good one too. When I go out to the sticks it is very hard to be stuck on 1x.

That being said the article is wrong about the roll of the DOJ and FCC in mergers. It is my understanding the DOJ is by statute only able to fight a merger on the basis of it violating anti-trust laws and I don't know how anyone can argue that. The FCC has more room to maneuver but it is still hard to see on what grounds they would deny it.

I thought Sprint had way more coverage than tmobile? They basically said that Sprint also has no rural presents which at least in my city I know is not true. I was getting LTE in the middle of nowhwere on my way to Clearwater using the boondocks route.

In overall footprint, she correctly gives the nod to Sprint over T-Mobile...

Meanwhile, Sprint and T-Mobile each lack the breadth of network footprint as well as the scope of wireless spectrum holdings. T-Mobile especially is primarily confined to urban markets with little to no coverage in adjacent suburban or rural markets. Sprint isn't much better in terms of coverage.

AJ

I think the article is mostly on point. Although it would probably be a quick way for sprint to increase cell site density in many cities. But out side of that I can't see a real boon for the consumer here. And the point about rural coverage is a good one too. When I go out to the sticks it is very hard to be stuck on 1x.

I do not think Sprint, T-Mobile, or Sprint-T-Mobile will ever be able to compete with VZW and AT&T on a total native footprint basis.  Remember, the duopoly largely did not build their rural coverage.  Rather, they acquired scads of already constructed Cellular 850 MHz properties over the past decade.  And those Cellular 850 MHz properties had already been constructed and optimized over the previous decade or two.

So, even if Sprint, T-Mobile, or Sprint-T-Mobile were to acquire substantial nationwide 600 MHz spectrum, the time needed to deploy to match the duopoly would probably be another decade.  And even then, that would not guarantee a return on investment, since buildout, unlike acquisition, would not include any subs in the transaction.

That is why Sprint-T-Mobile is not necessarily a bad idea.  It would allow the combination to destroy the duopoly with speed and capacity in cities and along highway corridors.  Wireless users might then actually have to choose between better service in cities and along highways from Sprint-T-Mobile or better service in rural areas from VZW or AT&T.  Right now, with the duopoly, people can have their cake and eat it, too.  And that just puts Sprint and T-Mobile in terrible positions.

AJ

• Like 11

I do not think Sprint, T-Mobile, or Sprint-T-Mobile will ever be able to compete with VZW and AT&T on a total native footprint basis. Remember, the duopoly largely did not build their rural coverage. Rather, they acquired scads of already constructed Cellular 850 MHz properties over the past decade. And those Cellular 850 MHz properties had already been constructed and optimized over the previous decade or two.

So, even if Sprint, T-Mobile, or Sprint-T-Mobile were to acquire substantial nationwide 600 MHz spectrum, the time needed to deploy to match the duopoly would probably be another decade. And even then, that would not guarantee a return on investment, since buildout, unlike acquisition, would not include any subs in the transaction.

That is why Sprint-T-Mobile is not necessarily a bad idea. It would allow the combination to destroy the duopoly with speed and capacity in cities and along highway corridors. Wireless users might then actually have to choose between better service in cities and along highways from Sprint-T-Mobile or better service in rural areas from VZW or AT&T. Right now, with the duopoly, people can have their cake and eat it, too. And that just puts Sprint and T-Mobile in terrible positions.

AJ

Totally agree with you on everything but the last paragraph. I think even if tmobile/sprint tie up gave an edge to the new company in terms of speed and capacity it wouldn't be large enough to offset the fact that their customers would be stuck with very limited data connectivity in areas where they vacation or visit. I only get out to those types of areas maybe three to four times a year but it is painful.

Further ATT and vzw are not going to let their networks fall apart. Speed isn't that big of a deal to an end user after a point and I can't see either of the big two letting their networks fall below those levels for any longer than a short period. They both have plenty of spectrum to re-farm and in vzw they have there AWS spectrum.

It would be better to either buy rual carriers or for the FCC to force cheap data (3G and lte) roaming deals. At least in my opinion for what it is worth.

I wish Sprint knew how to advertise. Their framily commercial makes me sad, especially when the Verizon More Everything commercial plays right after it.

I have some marketing/advertising ideas: Who else wants to see a karate kid-esque commercial with Oto-san as Mr. Miyagi and the dynamic duo daniel/son(masayoshi) go head to head with the "can you here me now guy" and the "magenta biker chick" on the mat in perhaps what appears to be the control deck of the death star?

They can end the it with some happy go lucky slogan that integrates network vision/spark/etc in a similar fashion to KK moral/takeaway of there being more to the martial art than fighting....

sounds cheesy i know, but it is 1000 percent better than the current campaigns. but some level of nuanced subtlety, humor, nostalgia etc...

From what I've seen in numerous forums this pretty much sums it up/hits home for so many..

Consider this: Many people who work in large cities live in the suburbs. So even if they could subscribe to a Sprint or T-Mobile service that works fine in the city where they work, these services may not work at their homes. And even if the service works at home and at the office, it may not function on the way to and from work.

What's more, many people travel throughout the country, and they expect their phones to work wherever they go. This is especially true of so-called high-value customers who are more likely to travel for work or to have vacation homes in areas where a wireless operator whose network is concentrated in an urban area may not have coverage.

Son may have a 300 year plan, but I sure hope that doesn't mean that's how long it will take to catch up to Verizon/AT&T.

TS

• Like 2