Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Wow, they actually GAINED postpaid subs! Someone trolled us, that's for sure.

Added 682K subs total, 58K net postpaid additions. So to go to the previous comments, apparently the market wasn't truly saturated yet and had some growth left in it since ALL tier 1 providers added subs.

Are you going to watch them eat crow :)?

It is (was) funny (sad) to see how quickly the tone went negative even on a site like this. It'll be interesting for sure to see the reactions roll in this morning.

• Like 4

I'd say the subscriber adds are dodging a bullet, but the financial side is still kind of ugly. That's not surprising due to the point Sprint is at with Network Vision. 

The financials are probably going to remain ugly (even if they are improving) for the next few quarters at least. I still wouldn't be suprised by a modest subscriber lost in Q1 either.

I'd say the subscriber adds are dodging a bullet, but the financial side is still kind of ugly. That's not surprising due to the point Sprint is at with Network Vision. 

The operating losses were due to spend on NV.

I listened to the webcast. Nothing really new. They expect to complete NV 1.0 by midyear. They are adding 8001x voice at a feverish pace and 800LTE and Spark. $8B in NV+Spark spend throughout the year. They expect margins to improve from the 20% that they are right now to the industry average as the spend tapers down.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Anyone else think next quarter they will see a huge revenue hit with existing customers finding a way you get into a $25 + data framily plan? Right now I'm saving $;35 a month they won't get and there is a good chance Google may get the money for my next phone not Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-L900

I am happy sprint dodged a bullet, not near the gains of others but a plus is a plus.

Do tablets count as new customers if you already have a sprint account?

Lets hope sprint can keep it going.

On a side note, I was in the sprint store looking at the flex, the sales rep was pushing to a note 3 I explained to him that it wasnt triband - he and his boss agreed it was and told me to check. Anyways, I asked them to get the boxes out and showed them it wasn't. They looked online and finally agreed. My point is, this could also be a reason of disappointment if customers are being misguided into something that they are told will work for whatevEr their needs may be. These guys swore the note 3 was spark enabled!

I am happy sprint dodged a bullet, not near the gains of others but a plus is a plus.Do tablets count as new customers if you already have a sprint account?Lets hope sprint can keep it going.On a side note, I was in the sprint store looking at the flex, the sales rep was pushing to a note 3 I explained to him that it wasnt triband - he and his boss agreed it was and told me to check. Anyways, I asked them to get the boxes out and showed them it wasn't. They looked online and finally agreed. My point is, this could also be a reason of disappointment if customers are being misguided into something that they are told will work for whatevEr their needs may be. These guys swore the note 3 was spark enabled!

They must not know their product

• Like 1

Do tablets count as new customers if you already have a sprint account?

Unless you know of a plan that allows you to add a tablet to it (vs its own separate plan) then yes.

For anyone interested, there is good article on GigaOM about Sprint and NV that just come off the presses.  It hits on many of the topics Robert alluded to last night in his post about the spectrum assets of B41 and the plan for additional carriers and wide spectrum pipes in the future.

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/12/sprint-ceo-dan-hesse-4g-lte-network/

They already are. Rob Gronkowski and 2 other NFL players have seperate commericals of their "break up" letters with Sprint. Check the tmobile youtube page. All 3 are leaving Sprint (if they even had sprint before who knows)

Where is the Aaron Hernandez "break up" letter with Sprint?  Or would that be more of a "parting shot"?

AJ

• Like 1