Network Vision/LTE - West Kentucky Market (Louisville, Evansville, Bowling Green)

bgguy

What part. I had LTE at my dentist office there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one remaining legacy tower active in Shepherdsville. They have put NV equipment up at another location nearby but have yet to turn it on. The LTE in Shepherdsville is from other neighboring sites, mostly due to B26 coverage. The heart of Shepherdsville is the worst spot. 

Yes. Dial this number and press send: *3001#12345#*

Then select serving cell info.

What would Freq Band Indicator 26 mean? How about Download Bandwidth of 5MHz?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just at the Kentucky Derby this weekend and wanted to comment on my experience in Churchill Downs. On both the Friday of the Oaks and the Saturday of the Derby, I had good strong LTE (B25) signal at Churchill Downs, but could not get any internet access at all; the connection consistently timed out. Early in the morning on Saturday, I was able to pull meager speeds of about 1mbps down, but the connection started to time out as more people arrived, which led me to believe that whatever tower(s) is/are responsible for covering that area was/were just overburdened by the sheer number of people in the area. I didn't see any B41, so that certainly didn't help congestion either. I figure with upgraded backhaul for the tower or towers in question and possibly having 1-2 carriers of B41 coverage there next year, the experience might be noticeably different.

For the sake of comparison, I had friends on AT&T and Verizon who both had consistent service with no interruptions, so it is obviously possible. No info on T-Mobile in the area.

• Like 1

What would Freq Band Indicator 26 mean? How about Download Bandwidth of 5MHz?

Band 26 is Sprint's 800MHz SMR (Specialized Mobile Radio) band for LTE service, the download bandwidth (5MHz) means Sprint has deployed 5x5MHz on the 800 band, 5MHz for the uplink and 5MHz for the downlink.

Band 25 is Sprint's 1900MHz PCS (Personal Communications Service) which is also deployed on 5x5MHz nationwide on the "G" Block.   

I was just at the Kentucky Derby this weekend and wanted to comment on my experience in Churchill Downs. On both the Friday of the Oaks and the Saturday of the Derby, I had good strong LTE (B25) signal at Churchill Downs, but could not get any internet access at all; the connection consistently timed out. Early in the morning on Saturday, I was able to pull meager speeds of about 1mbps down, but the connection started to time out as more people arrived, which led me to believe that whatever tower(s) is/are responsible for covering that area was/were just overburdened by the sheer number of people in the area. I didn't see any B41, so that certainly didn't help congestion either. I figure with upgraded backhaul for the tower or towers in question and possibly having 1-2 carriers of B41 coverage there next year, the experience might be noticeably different.

For the sake of comparison, I had friends on AT&T and Verizon who both had consistent service with no interruptions, so it is obviously possible. No info on T-Mobile in the area.

I would assume it's probably because Sprint uses 5x5mhz for bandwidth while Att and Verizon use 10x10mhz. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would assume it's probably because Sprint uses 5x5mhz for bandwidth while Att and Verizon use 10x10mhz.

Precisely, and with band 41, Sprint uses a 20x20 configuration, which gives far greater capacity and, generally, speeds. And that's without carrier aggregation initially. So things will only get better and better.

Precisely, and with band 41, Sprint uses a 20x20 configuration, which hives far greater capacity and, generally, speeds. And that's without carrier aggregation initially. So things will only get better and better.

Sprint uses 20 MHz TDD carriers which are about equal to 10x10 FDD carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Sprint uses 20 MHz TDD carriers which are about equal to 10x10 FDD carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 5

To clarify, when I said "gives far greater capacity," I was referring to vs. Sprint's own 5mhz carriers on bands 25 and 26.

• 2 months later...

Haven't seen any activity on this thread jn a while and thought I would post. Got a second B41 carrier in Radcliff today.

Can't seem to upload pics anymore via Tapatalk.

Found EARFCN 41176 and 40978 sitting at the same spot.

• Like 3

Haven't seen any activity on this thread jn a while and thought I would post. Got a second B41 carrier in Radcliff today.

Awesome. I didn't realize CA was live anywhere in Kentucky outside of the southern metro Cincinnati area. Good to know.

Awesome. I didn't realize CA was live anywhere in Kentucky outside of the southern metro Cincinnati area. Good to know.

Me either. And Radcliff of all places. There are a couple of B41 sites in Elizabethtown which is close by. I'll have to check them out this weekend.

• Like 1

Me either. And Radcliff of all places. There are a couple of B41 sites in Elizabethtown which is close by. I'll have to check them out this weekend.

I've noticed a lot of our 8t8r sites now broadcasting the B41 second carrier. I'm not sure about CA, since my phone doesn't support it. should be a fairly quick roll out for sites that can support it. Those two EARFCNs seem to be the standard so far. I haven't noticed any deviation from it yet anywhere.  

I've noticed a lot of our 8t8r sites now broadcasting the B41 second carrier. I'm not sure about CA, since my phone doesn't support it. should be a fairly quick roll out for sites that can support it. Those two EARFCNs seem to be the standard so far. I haven't noticed any deviation from it yet anywhere.

I can't confirm CA either with my iPhone of course. Maybe in a couple weeks if I can convince my wife I should get the new iPhone. [emoji2]

Edited by AppleFanBoy

Anyone here close to Carbondale? Anyone find B41 there yet?

I may be going out to do some work at the Kroger there in a few weeks. Not sure which one of my team is going to make the drive.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Also live on the site in Northeast Louisville at I 265 and I 71. Better speeds too. I would love to break the 100 megabits per second barrier. Sprint would be the first carrier in Louisville to do so. Verizon has twin 10x10s on AWS here and I know they are also firing up carrier aggregation but I haven't seen it from them here yet. I will say though that my Verizon line typically pegs at the max speed the spectrum will allow so they dont seem to have the back haul issues Sprint does around here. I'm rooting for Sprint to hit that triple digit Speed first!!!

72e0d438d3034d4c4899c531b5ec4b07.jpg

b5020f51e45e111523a474a03c4573b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Also live on the site in Northeast Louisville at I 265 and I 71. Better speeds too. I would love to break the 100 megabits per second barrier. Sprint would be the first carrier in Louisville to do so. Verizon has twin 10x10s on AWS here and I know they are also firing up carrier aggregation but I haven't seen it from them here yet. I will say though that my Verizon line typically pegs at the max speed the spectrum will allow so they dont seem to have the back haul issues Sprint does around here. I'm rooting for Sprint to hit that triple digit Speed first!!!

Thanks for confirming CA. We've seen the second carrier live for awhile now, but none of us in the premier thread in Louisville have CA capable phones. The second carriers is widespread at this point, so I would assume CA would be as well. Let us know if you keep seeing it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

72e0d438d3034d4c4899c531b5ec4b07.jpg

b5020f51e45e111523a474a03c4573b5.jpg

With all the second band 41 carrier showing up in this market I'm betting they will all have CA soon if they don't already.