Network Vision/LTE - West Kentucky Market (Louisville, Evansville, Bowling Green)

bgguy

Yeah man, I understand, its okay.  I guess I just thought that some little country town would be "last" instead of one of the biggest metro areas in the state.

Its not like its completely void of LTE. There are sites complete in the East end. It just happens to be the highest concentration of legacy sites remaining. Pforst stated the other day that he though he saw conversion ongoing at one of the remaining towers. The city as a whole is roughly 85% complete. Deep downtown and the East End are the majority of remaining sites. The only time I see 3G on my phone anymore is when i go into my office building near Hurstbourne and Westport Rd. 

I feel everyone's pain. But for how late the West Kentucky market got started, its progress has been impressive. One of the fastest deployment rates of all the markets.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Its to the point now that most of the legacy sites remaining are Samsung equipment. I thought for sure that Samsung would finish before Ericsson, especially since they only have about 10% of our market if that. Surprisingly its not the first time Ericsson has impressed me in a good way recently.  

• Like 1

Its not like its completely void of LTE. There are sites complete in the East end. It just happens to be the highest concentration of legacy sites remaining. Pforst stated the other day that he though he saw conversion ongoing at one of the remaining towers. The city as a whole is roughly 85% complete. Deep downtown and the East End are the majority of remaining sites. The only time I see 3G on my phone anymore is when i go into my office building near Hurstbourne and Westport Rd. 

There is a difference between having LTE and having usable LTE. For the most part, at least in my area, while I technically have LTE, the signal is so weak that it is not usable. Kind of annoying having to switch to 3G only mode.  But hey, hopefully when its all done it will just be like having 3G... but faster. =)

Anyone in bg had problems with the three springs rd site hete lately it actually started running its 3g through the nv panels cause i was getting pretty good speed and then all of a sudden the whole site went down friday i dont know what the deal is with it. Maybe they are fixing to fire up 4g on it that would be nice but probably not the problem. Also does the ticket numbers have any consitency with a perticular site or what kind of work is being done?

I have some indirect evidence that zip code 62901 (Carbondale IL) has been added to the LTE-active list...will poke around more. I did receive a text from Sprint today along the lines of 'LTE comong soon'. Speed-testing the 3G connection for my venerable Palm Pre yields a rdiculously high number...just as it did on MLK day while in downtown STLMO. Confirmation, fraydog?

I have some indirect evidence that zip code 62901 (Carbondale IL) has been added to the LTE-active list...will poke around more. I did receive a text from Sprint today along the lines of 'LTE comong soon'. Speed-testing the 3G connection for my venerable Palm Pre yields a rdiculously high number...just as it did on MLK day while in downtown STLMO. Confirmation, fraydog?

There should be quite a bit of lte in Carbondale now. Its not fully complete yet but someone has mapped some of the coverage on sensorly.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Noticed twice in the last few days where my clock was an hour off. My sister in law had the same issue today. Anyone else experience this problem? It fixes itself but it's a little annoying. Hopefully it's a sign of some more progress.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Noticed twice in the last few days where my clock was an hour off. My sister in law had the same issue today. Anyone else experience this problem? It fixes itself but it's a little annoying. Hopefully it's a sign of some more progress.Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem Mine is with the LTE if I switch it over to 3G it will have the right time. I have experienced this in several different states. What I do is manually set my phone to NY time zone

• 5 weeks later...

I have never posted with a pic...here goes. 4G LTE is indeed in 62901.

Day 2 with iPhone 5c...FaceTime 4G from inside el Greco to home (15 minute ride) with daughter in Chicago was nearly flawless (1 hiccup).

My clock was an hour off last night...and, oddly, two radio stations I listen to did not work via LTE, but worked fine via 3G.

In case the pic doesn't work, Sensorly indicates download speeds in excess of 22 Mbps.

...will report back.

post-4676-0-74403200-1393426485_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone in bowling green picked anything up from the site up at wku campus. I recently been up there last couple weeks and i havent been able to pick up anything even 3g. And its really put a strain on the site by power st cause the couple speed tests that i did from that site bately worked or timed out completly. Im guessing from the site at wku being down. If anyone has info please let me know.

Something weird is going on with LTE in downtown Louisville. I used to be able to reliably get LTE sitting at my desk, in fact it was the very first LTE I picked up anywhere in the city. For the last week or so, that signal's been very spotty and I'm on 3G most of the time at the office.

Something weird is going on with LTE in downtown Louisville. I used to be able to reliably get LTE sitting at my desk, in fact it was the very first LTE I picked up anywhere in the city. For the last week or so, that signal's been very spotty and I'm on 3G most of the time at the office.

Might be an issue with that one tower if that is the only spot you have issues. I have been all over louisville this week for work and haven't noticed any difference. The only area i have issues with lte is the east end as there are still several sites left to be converted.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Any news on the Shepherdsville site ?

Nothing yet. I check it at least once per week. The only sign of NV work at the site is the Windstream fiber that was ran over a year ago. I think at this point it has to be some sort of permitting or engineering issue specific to Shepherdsville with the city. Several of the neighboring towers are similar structures (water towers) and have been upgraded either as a full build site or as a GMO. Those close sites also are using Windstream fiber so I doubt there is an issue with that. Even if there was an issue with backhaul, they have been converting the sites and 3G accepting the equipment using the old T1 lines. The fact that there is not a trace of work leads me to believe that the city is holding something up. 

This site needs NV badly. Tonight at 11:30 in the middle of town EvDo was so bad I could not stream spotify on the lowest quality settings at all. Couldn't even get my email to update. This site seems to be way overburdened, which is a bit shocking seeing that all of its neighboring sites are broadcasting LTE. These sites bleed significantly into this cells territory, which should help to relieve some of the stress from this site. The fact that it is still under performing so badly means that either there is just not enough T1s bonded together, or that there is a data abuser somewhere on the cell sucking up the bandwidth. I think (hope) it is the first one, meaning that Sprint is not adding additional T1s to the site as they are getting ready to rip out the old equipment anyway. This site has been bad for as far as I can remember. I have to use my tmo hot spot if I need data in town. As soon as I go north, south, or east, I pick LTE back up. Its a fairly small area that this site still serves for 3G. 

Long story short, I have no idea what the issue is, but I hope it gets resolved quickly. 

• 1 month later...

Galaxy S4 Tri-Band in Louisville KY

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Galaxy S2 to a Tri-Band S4.
LTE is live in Louisville, but not Spark. 

What should I expect from a S4 Tri-Band in Louisville? Would I essentially be 3G only (I need to be able to receive voice calls at all times) due to Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) or Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback (eCSFB) troubles, or is that problem resolved in Louisville?
Edited by COZisBack
Topic Merged Into Market

Galaxy S4 Tri-Band in Louisville KY

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Galaxy S2 to a Tri-Band S4.

LTE is live in Louisville, but not Spark.

What should I expect from a S4 Tri-Band in Louisville? Would I essentially be 3G only (I need to be able to receive voice calls at all times) due to Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) or Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback (eCSFB) troubles, or is that problem resolved in Louisville?

Legacy equipment in Louisville is Nortel, so there are no CSFB issues. I'm typing this on a triband phone in southern Louisville over LTE right now, as a matter of fact. Nortel legacy equipment is the best out there considering it's CSFB capable. If only we didn't have stupid Motorola legacy equipment in Charlotte...

Legacy equipment in Louisville is Nortel, so there are no CSFB issues. I'm typing this on a triband phone in southern Louisville over LTE right now, as a matter of fact. Nortel legacy equipment is the best out there considering it's CSFB capable. If only we didn't have stupid Motorola legacy equipment in Charlotte...

Every legacy equipment is capable of csfb as long as incumbent and network vision vendor is the same thanks to propriety ip used in the equipment.

Csfb will work for FDD lte but will not work for band 41. You'll need ecsfb when band 41 is available.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Thank you for the information and the quick reply.

I'm real happy with Ting but their @help address has not been good for me lately. Their reply to my first inquiry mistakenly said that only the S4 Mini was Tri-Band. After pointing them to their own product page, that issue was cleared up.

My next inquiry was two days ago regarding CSFB / eCSFB in Louisville. I was told by Ting that I would need to keep the S4 Tri-Band on 3G. 

Meanwhile, the Ting S4 Tri-Band seems to be very popular, they cut the price to $500 last week and it has sold out twice since then. When they get more in, I will grab one. I hope Sprint follows through with spreading Spark.
  • Like 1

Every legacy equipment is capable of csfb as long as incumbent and network vision vendor is the same thanks to propriety ip used in the equipment.

Csfb will work for FDD lte but will not work for band 41. You'll need ecsfb when band 41 is available.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Unfortunately for me, I don't really understand your answer. FDD? Floppy Disk Drive?  :-)  Seriously, I don't even know what FDD is, in this context.

Ting doesn't easily issue refunds for phones so I want to be sure before I pay my hard earned $500. Would the Tri-Band phone take incoming calls while I'm connected to 4G or not? 

I'm asking specifically about Louisville KY, not what may or may not happen if I were to be elsewhere. Obviously, no Spark in Louisville yet, but other than that is there any downside to having a Tri-Band phone in Louisville?

Unfortunately for me, I don't really understand your answer. FDD? Floppy Disk Drive?  :-)  Seriously, I don't even know what FDD is, in this context.

This thread might help you catch up to speed with all of the terms we use around here. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1704-frequently-asked-questions/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on the Shepherdsville site ?

Nothing yet. I check it at least once per week. The only sign of NV work at the site is the Windstream fiber that was ran over a year ago. I think at this point it has to be some sort of permitting or engineering issue specific to Shepherdsville with the city. Several of the neighboring towers are similar structures (water towers) and have been upgraded either as a full build site or as a GMO. Those close sites also are using Windstream fiber so I doubt there is an issue with that. Even if there was an issue with backhaul, they have been converting the sites and 3G accepting the equipment using the old T1 lines. The fact that there is not a trace of work leads me to believe that the city is holding something up. 

This site needs NV badly. Tonight at 11:30 in the middle of town EvDo was so bad I could not stream spotify on the lowest quality settings at all. Couldn't even get my email to update. This site seems to be way overburdened, which is a bit shocking seeing that all of its neighboring sites are broadcasting LTE. These sites bleed significantly into this cells territory, which should help to relieve some of the stress from this site. The fact that it is still under performing so badly means that either there is just not enough T1s bonded together, or that there is a data abuser somewhere on the cell sucking up the bandwidth. I think (hope) it is the first one, meaning that Sprint is not adding additional T1s to the site as they are getting ready to rip out the old equipment anyway. This site has been bad for as far as I can remember. I have to use my tmo hot spot if I need data in town. As soon as I go north, south, or east, I pick LTE back up. Its a fairly small area that this site still serves for 3G. 

Long story short, I have no idea what the issue is, but I hope it gets resolved quickly. 

Still no change for this site. Besides fiber, there is absolutely no sign that an upgrade is even planned. Going on 15 months now since I noticed the Windstream fiber. All of the other sites that were pulled around the same time have been active for 6 months or more. It pretty much has to be a city issue at this point. I wish I knew someone within engineering. If the city is giving them too much grief on their current location, then there is an actual cell tower not more than 1/4 mile from the current site where every other carrier is setup. There is plenty of space at the same elevation or even much higher that the current setup. I got another message from Sprint telling me that they are upgrading one of the towers I use most, hopefully it means this one. I'll check it again at the end of the week when I get back from Nashville.