Original EVO or Galaxy S III have better signal strength

Dudersup

I have a friend that upgraded from an original htc evo to a galaxy s3. When you look at the coverage map it shows that he is on fair coverage but really close to "good" coverage. He said his Evo worked just fine at home but his s3 will continually drop calls and does not have enough signal strength.

Is there a difference between the frequencies that these two devices operate on and the signal strength that either is able to pull?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Both phones function on Sprint's PCS 1900MHz spectrum. Additionally, the Galaxy SIII also can connect to CDMA 800 MHz (former Nextel's iDEN ESMR band, not to be confused with Celluar 850Mhz). What could be happening is the phone is trying to connect to a tower broadcasting at 800 but the signal is not the best it can be. Also the dropped calls could be a handoff issue between 800 and 1900. I know I have had call drops in areas with fringe 800.

I hope this is a bit helpful. I am sure others can provide even more useful information (and probably even more accurate and detailed)

Both phones function on Sprint's PCS 1900MHz spectrum. Additionally, the Galaxy SIII also can connect to CDMA 800 MHz (former Nextel's iDEN ESMR band, not to be confused with Celluar 850Mhz). What could be happening is the phone is trying to connect to a tower broadcasting at 800 but the signal is not the best it can be. Also the dropped calls could be a handoff issue between 800 and 1900. I know I have had call drops in areas with fringe 800. I hope this is a bit helpful. I am sure others can provide even more useful information (and probably even more accurate and detailed)

What you are saying makes sense. But what would be different about the Evo that is giving better results? I mean I can see why calls might drop by switching between 800 and 1900. Does the Evo just connect through one of these and not both, therefore no handoff resulting in lost call?

Edited by Dudersup

In S4GRU device testing, the GS3 scored better in RF performance than the old generation EVO and much better than the EVO LTE. However, it is possible that it could be an issue with his specific GS3.

If he is figuring his signal strength on bars alone, that is problematic. Bars are poor indicators of exact signal strength as each OEM configures what they mean differently. So 3 bars on an EVO may equal one on a GS3...etc.

He should get an app called SignalCheck created by a S4GRU member. It will tell him exactly what his signal level is on each device.

Most likely as pointed out above, the GS3 has 800MHz capability. If they recently deployed 800MHz service at a distant site, it could cause him to experience what he has. The more distant 800 could have a weaker signal than nearby 1900. Also calls handing off between 800 and 1900 sites are more likely to drop.

A PRL update may help because the newest PRL prioritize 800 and 1900 the same. Some of the previous Android PRL's prioritized 800 higher.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

In S4GRU device testing, the GS3 scored better in RF performance than the old generation EVO and much better than the EVO LTE. However, it is possible that it could be an issue with his specific GS3.If he is figuring his signal strength on bars alone, that is problematic. Bars are poor indicators of exact signal strength as each OEM configures what they mean differently. So 3 bars on an EVO may equal one on a GS3...etc.He should get an app called SignalCheck created by a S4GRU member. It will tell him exactly what his signal level is on each device.Most likely as pointed out above, the GS3 has 800MHz capability. If they recently deployed 800MHz service at a distant site, it could cause him to experience what he has. The more distant 800 could have a weaker signal than nearby 1900. Also calls handing off between 800 and 1900 sites are more likely to drop.A PRL update may help because the newest PRL prioritize 800 and 1900 the same. Some of the previous Android PRL's prioritized 800 higher.Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thank you Robert.

In S4GRU device testing, the GS3 scored better in RF performance than the old generation EVO and much better than the EVO LTE. However, it is possible that it could be an issue with his specific GS3.If he is figuring his signal strength on bars alone, that is problematic. Bars are poor indicators of exact signal strength as each OEM configures what they mean differently. So 3 bars on an EVO may equal one on a GS3...etc.He should get an app called SignalCheck created by a S4GRU member. It will tell him exactly what his signal level is on each device.Most likely as pointed out above, the GS3 has 800MHz capability. If they recently deployed 800MHz service at a distant site, it could cause him to experience what he has. The more distant 800 could have a weaker signal than nearby 1900. Also calls handing off between 800 and 1900 sites are more likely to drop.A PRL update may help because the newest PRL prioritize 800 and 1900 the same. Some of the previous Android PRL's prioritized 800 higher.Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Is the signal check app on the Play Store by Blue Line computing?

Is the signal check app on the Play Store by Blue Line computing?

Yes.  Very good app.

There is a FREE one.  However, the Pro version is much better if you really want to get into watching things.  Well worth the price.

• Like 1

Yes.  Very good app.There is a FREE one.  However, the Pro version is much better if you really want to get into watching things.  Well worth the price.

I only see the Pro version on the play store. I would like to try it out. Where is the free one?

I only see the Pro version on the play store. I would like to try it out. Where is the free one?

I think it was pulled off of Google play to fix an issue that was plaguing a particular phone type.

I thought it was back after being updated but maybe not.   The paid version is only $1.99 if I remember correctly and it is superior to the free version.

If the free version is not there, keep looking as it will be back.

• Like 1

I think it was pulled off of Google play to fix an issue that was plaguing a particular phone type.

I thought it was back after being updated but maybe not. The paid version is only $1.99 if I remember correctly and it is superior to the free version.

If the free version is not there, keep looking as it will be back.

Thanks guys! Yes, I took the free version down for a few days last week because of a bug I could not get fixed.. it was fixed and updated over the weekend. Should be all set now.

-Mike