halcyoncmdr

Current Sprint PRLs

Nope, that's what the SIM card is for. PRLs are CDMA only, and control non-roaming connectivity as well (prioritizing some channels over others, some carriers over others, etc). The device will not connect to a network, or even channel on a network, via CDMA that isn't in the list.

The SIM controls what GSM (including LTE) networks your phone connects to. It may have some defaults to scan for (Sprint starts with B25 or B26 I believe) or other "smarts" on the SIM microcontroller, but if it doesn't find native service (and the phone doesn't "remember" a previously connected network), then it starts cycling through all the bands it supports looking for something. It'll attempt authentication on every network it finds, if it fails, then it moves on. Usually once on a roaming network that network takes over and can move the device to another band or technology (say GSM to UMTS/HSPA).

The modem does sort of keep a memory of connected sites and bands, and tends to scan for them first. So when entering a new country it will often take a bit (several minutes) for it to find roaming service. Once it does though it'll remember and quickly hop back on it if you reboot or airplane toggle or anything.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Thanks, your post has been very informative.

I was reading an article how many carriers were GSM unlocking by default the Samsung Galaxy S3 phones to be able to roam overseas.  I read that Verizon did it, but was not able to confirm if Sprint did it.  Do you know if the Galaxy S3 Triband (SPH-L710T) has its GSM radio unlocked by default?  How can I test to see if my GSM radio is actually unlocked for international use, I have the MSL code and would like to unlock it or enable the GSM radio if at all possible if its not already enabled.

Do you know if the Galaxy S3 Triband (SPH-L710T) has its GSM radio unlocked by default?  How can I test to see if my GSM radio is actually unlocked for international use, I have the MSL code and would like to unlock it or enable the GSM radio if at all possible if its not already enabled.

Does the Samsung Galaxy S3 tri band have an external SIM slot?  I do not recall on the later tri band variant, but the original Galaxy S3 does not.  And if no external SIM slot, then there is nothing to unlock for international roaming, which is either unsupported or limited to Sprint's international roaming agreements.

AJ

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does the Samsung Galaxy S3 tri band have an external SIM slot?  I do not recall on the later tri band variant, but the original Galaxy S3 does not.  And if no external SIM slot, then there is nothing to unlock for international roaming, which is either unsupported or limited to Sprint's international roaming agreements.

AJ

Physically speaking, I dont see any SIM slot, but some people are saying that the SIM could be hidden behind a sticker or a compartment/case protected by screws, etc.  If not at all, it would be good to know if this particular phone at least has a functional GSM radio that can be use to assist the phone to roam on GSM based network when offshore for people who would like to at least take advantage of some type of roaming features.  This is exactly what Verizon did with their CDMA Galaxy S3 variant, they released an update that enables GSM to work offshore so that their customers can be able to roam on GSM international networks makes extra money on roaming fees, etc.  Just figuring out if Sprint did the same thing, since Samsung had confirmed that they only released one Galaxy S3 for the US, and all variants had the same type of technical abilities, just that depending on the carrier some might have its GSM radio active/CDMA disabled while others might have CDMA active and POSSIBLY GSM active only for international roaming uses (this is what I am trying to figure out in the case of Sprint) just like Verizon did.

Edited by FNetV1
  • Like 1

Could someone please share PRL 55061?  Please and thank you!

New PRL ending with ###62. Unlocked BYOD Android phones now on 55062.

55062 Note 5.

• Like 1

55062 on my iPhone 6S.

55062 Note 5.

Note 5 here also on 55062..just manually updated..what's new?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

55062 on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

Note 5 here also on 55062..just manually updated..what's new?

Couldn't tell you lol.

• Like 1

Same on my iPhone 7 Plus as well with 55062

• Like 1

Same on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Nexus 6p *61 updated to *62

55062 here on the Pixel XL. Anyone able to dig in and see what has changed??

Hopefully this is useful to somebody as pulling this caused my HTC 10 to hard brick. Apparently I clicked a wrong button somewhere along the line and when I rebooted Saturday morning it became an expensive paperweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ ouch. I hate when that happens.

Hopefully this is useful to somebody as pulling this caused my HTC 10 to hard brick. Apparently I clicked a wrong button somewhere along the line and when I rebooted Saturday morning it became an expensive paperweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that just sucks.

But on an interesting note, my EVDO roaming with Verizon is gone (not that data roaming ever worked to begin with). Seems like my phone will no longer scan Verizon EVDO carriers in my neck of the woods after the PRL update. Just 1x and that's it. Data never worked while roaming, so I'm not complaining.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

• Like 1

Well, that just sucks.

But on an interesting note, my EVDO roaming with Verizon is gone (not that data roaming ever worked to begin with). Seems like my phone will no longer scan Verizon EVDO carriers in my neck of the woods after the PRL update. Just 1x and that's it. Data never worked while roaming, so I'm not complaining.

are you picking up anyone up as an alternative? or simply no service?

Posted (edited)

are you picking up anyone up as an alternative? or simply no service?

Ignore previous post. EVDO was back later that night.

Who knows what this PRL change brought us.

Edited by greenbastard

I'm sorry I've not had a chance to check into it; I've been utterly swamped at work for the past two weeks and I don't know when it will.

- Trip

• Like 1

Physically speaking, I dont see any SIM slot, but some people are saying that the SIM could be hidden behind a sticker or a compartment/case protected by screws, etc.  If not at all, it would be good to know if this particular phone at least has a functional GSM radio that can be use to assist the phone to roam on GSM based network when offshore for people who would like to at least take advantage of some type of roaming features.  This is exactly what Verizon did with their CDMA Galaxy S3 variant, they released an update that enables GSM to work offshore so that their customers can be able to roam on GSM international networks makes extra money on roaming fees, etc.  Just figuring out if Sprint did the same thing, since Samsung had confirmed that they only released one Galaxy S3 for the US, and all variants had the same type of technical abilities, just that depending on the carrier some might have its GSM radio active/CDMA disabled while others might have CDMA active and POSSIBLY GSM active only for international roaming uses (this is what I am trying to figure out in the case of Sprint) just like Verizon did.

For those still using a Galaxy S3 it would be good to know if this particular phone at least has a functional GSM radio that can be use to assist the phone to roam on GSM based network for domestic 911 calls -- if Verizon sunsets CDMA in a couple of years.

• Like 1

For those still using a Galaxy S3 it would be good to know if this particular phone at least has a functional GSM radio that can be use to assist the phone to roam on GSM based network for domestic 911 calls -- if Verizon sunsets CDMA in a couple of years.

I thought the GS3 was the same generation as the Note 2 which had a physical hard wired SIM.

Well, that just sucks.

Data roaming on vzw hasn't worked in my area for years; only voice calls work. Fortunately, I rarely roam now, but vzw data roaming does work when I travel to other regions. Whenever I get EVDO while getting a 1x roaming signal, it ends up being Sprint anyway when I check the EVDO engineering screen.

Posted (edited)

New PRL's are out. Now running 55064 on my iPhone 7 Plus

Edited by JDP121
  • Like 4