Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

My friend, you're geographically limited. Now if you can make it out to the East Coast, we'll chat :)

Just mention you found some amazing fried chicken joint out there and how its the best the world has seen and, Robert will likely be on the next flight out east, with Sprints new Netgear Hotspot in tote. ;)

• Like 1

I was told that clearwire will be less than 100 employees within a few months, lots have already been layed off.

As far as the network and existing wimax customers, its hard to say what Son and Hesse have up their sleeves.

I would like to see them do an unlimited lte hotspot, with the current plans caps used for 3g usage.

But if they don't, I will be keeping my clearspot $50 unlimited plan until they shut down wimax for good.

Actually nobody has been layed off yet, and they are shutting retail down very soon.

The microwave backhaul is 10GB / channel x 3 channels per site.

Just mention you found some amazing fried chicken joint out there and how its the best the world has seen and, Robert will likely be on the next flight out east, with Sprints new Netgear Hotspot in tote. ;)

I'll hook Robert up with some Publix Iced Tea if he comes to the East Coast and tests the LTE out here. :P
  • Like 4

Robert might be brave enough to come to the East Coast, but getting him into JERSEY might be much more difficult.

NYC is right across the river!

• Like 1

So has anyone else picked up BC41 LTE service? I'm up for my rebate soon so I'll pick up the Netgear hotspot and test.

What? Is my experience not enough for you?

I think we need to start calling Deval, "McKayla"...

74271.jpg

AJ 

So has anyone else picked up BC41 LTE service? I'm up for my rebate soon so I'll pick up the Netgear hotspot and test.

What? Is my experience not enough for you?

Alternatively, we could start calling Robert, "Maximus"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqJFIJ5lLs

AJ

• Like 5

Actually nobody has been layed off yet, and they are shutting retail down very soon.

The microwave backhaul is 10GB / channel x 3 channels per site.

I went to my local Best Buy and I saw a Clearwire employee still trying to sell the 4G service.  I am thinking by the end of 2013 they will shut down the retail store service and just have the option online.  Until Sprint feels comfortable enough to shut down the Wimax service, I don't mind if customers can still sign up for Wimax home internet service given that it is now month to month as a way to get some revenue from the Wimax network.

I went to my local Best Buy and I saw a Clearwire employee still trying to sell the 4G service.  I am thinking by the end of 2013 they will shut down the retail store service and just have the option online.  Until Sprint feels comfortable enough to shut down the Wimax service, I don't mind if customers can still sign up for Wimax home internet service given that it is now month to month as a way to get some revenue from the Wimax network.

The retail store shut down is a big push, I doubt the website will last until the end of the year.

Here is some points today of my Denver Band 41 TD-LTE testing.

• Netgear TriBand LTE Hotspot is awesome.  Love the color touch screen display.  Easy to use.  And in Network Settings, it will tell you which LTE Band you are using.  Around Denver I used Band 41 (2600) in most places, and occasionally Band 25 (1900).

• I bounced around between -130dBm RSRP and -55dBm RSRP all over the Denver Metro area.  Zero to six bars.  This MiFi will hold on to some very weak signals.  I don't know if triband smartphones will be able to do the same.  However -120dBm signals were usable most of the time with 2-6Mbps speeds.  Even at -130 RSRP I was able to get 1-2Mbps download.  I kept the device in LTE Only mode, and it may not do so well in mixed LTE/CDMA mode.

• Another point about the hotspot, but not Band 41 (TDD-LTE) related, is that it is a RF beast.  The Netgear MiFI tends to best my Note 2 on Band 25 LTE signals by 6-10dBm.  That's a lot.  In Castle Rock, Colorado with a 10dBm difference, my Note 2 would do 11Mbps on its own, but connected to the hotspot it would do 20Mbps.  Huge difference in speed with 10dBm.  Also, my CDMA RSSI is roughly 4-8dBm better too.

Robert

Robert,

Glad to hear that the hotspot is an "RF beast".  I know LTE is active on my closest tower but I can't pick it up with my S3 at home.  With this thing though, I'm wondering if it would be possible.  Right now, with my wireless broadband card I can get a -100dBm EVDO signal with an external antenna but that's RSSI.

Does the Zing have an input for an external antenna?  Any thoughts on whether usable signal MIGHT be picked up by this thing?

Thanks.

• Like 1

My shiny new Zing hotspot is connected to LTE Band 41 (2500 MHz) as I type this. I have attached a screenshot of the Zing Manager "4G Details" page. I am getting ~100 ms pings, ~8.0 Mbps downloads, but rather poor ~1.0 Mbps uploads.

That's all wonderful, because I live on the fringes of the Chicago market, so I really didn't expect to get any Band 41 coverage at all, at least this early in the deployment.

But . . .

I cannot figure out where the signal is coming from. According to the Clear coverage map, there is a WiMax site about 1.5 miles southwest of me, and no others within ~5 miles. Logically, then, one would think that my coverage would be coming from that closest tower, and the speeds seem to agree with that scenario. Except that I have driven to within 500 feet of the tower (I could clearly see the 2500 MHz antennas and the MW backhaul dishes), AND I DIDN'T GET ANY LTE CONNECTION. I have done this twice. I was parked. With the car window open. I have also driven to within 500 feet of 2 other Clear sites north of my closest site: No LTE there, either.

I am puzzled:

Is Band 41 coverage only being turned on at certain times of the day (I have gotten it at night), maybe for testing?

Did Clear install Band 41 on some sites that aren't co-located with WiMax, and thus don't show up on their map?

Am I going crazy, and will I be forced to share A J's padded cell (Ugh, not a pleasant thought!)?

If anyone knows more about this than I do (and that won't take much knowledge), please chime in.

EDIT: Also, I thought this thread was about 2500/2600 MHz LTE, not about name-calling and insults wrapped around what bands Apple would be putting on future iPhones.  Maybe the Mods need to take a close look at some of the posts and posters.

Screenshot_2013-07-29-21-11-53.png

• Like 1

How about English's Fried Chicken from Ocean City, MD?  That's fairly close to Jersey, and NYC (and PA!)...closer than NM, anyway!  They sell the chicken also in Salisbury, MD on Route 13.

Not to get it derailed ... I'mm wondering if the Lehigh Valley/Allentown PA is a "big enough city" to get any LTE 2600.  We never got Wimax, so there aren't any current Clear sites here.

Please take your debate to personal messages. It's not helping the "Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion" discussion. You know the main point of this thread.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My shiny new Zing hotspot is connected to LTE Band 41 (2500 MHz) as I type this. I have attached a screenshot of the Zing Manager "4G Details" page. I am getting ~100 ms pings, ~8.0 Mbps downloads, but rather poor ~1.0 Mbps uploads.

That's all wonderful, because I live on the fringes of the Chicago market, so I really didn't expect to get any Band 41 coverage at all, at least this early in the deployment.

But . . .

I cannot figure out where the signal is coming from. According to the Clear coverage map, there is a WiMax site about 1.5 miles southwest of me, and no others within ~5 miles. Logically, then, one would think that my coverage would be coming from that closest tower, and the speeds seem to agree with that scenario. Except that I have driven to within 500 feet of the tower (I could clearly see the 2500 MHz antennas and the MW backhaul dishes), AND I DIDN'T GET ANY LTE CONNECTION. I have done this twice. I was parked. With the car window open. I have also driven to within 500 feet of 2 other Clear sites north of my closest site: No LTE there, either.

You might be in the "shadow of the signal". In other words there is not enough downtilt for you to get a signal that close to the tower.

Am I going crazy, and will I be forced to share A J's padded cell (Ugh, not a pleasant thought!)?

Actually, I am well groomed and exceedingly polite in person.  Just do not mention certain topics:  AT&T, GSM cartel, data abuse, etc.  Those make me go all Bruce Banner.

AJ

• Like 1

Actually, I am well groomed and exceedingly polite in person.  Just do not mention certain topics:  AT&T, GSM cartel, data abuse, etc.  Those make me go all Bruce Banner.

AJ

Why do you specifically single out AT&T and not include Verizon? From my vantage point they're basically the same thing.

The microwave backhaul is 10ghz, not gb.

No it isn't. There is no 10 GHz band for fixed microwave in the United States. There is in Russia and some other countries, however. Within the past few weeks, however, there was a petition to the FCC to create an unlicensed 10 GHz band.

Many Sprint links are 11 GHz, but I've also seen 18 Ghz and 23 GHz. I have not seen any 6 GHz, 7 GHz, or 13 GHz.

• Like 1

Well on the Sprint conference call this morning they confirmed 2.5 will be in all current Sprint sites plus Clearwire and they'll be building out more 2.5GHz coverage than there current 38K sites

Zoning and such are being done now along with negotiations with their partners who'll be deploying the new 2.5GHz spectrum. They expect it to move faster as back haul should be mostly in place at all sites. More information will be provided as they get further along with planning.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 15

Well on the Sprint conference call this morning they confirmed 2.5 will be in all current Sprint sites plus Clearwire and they'll be building out more than 2.5GHz coverage than there current 38K sites

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Holy smokes!!! That's awesome news. I had a feeling they were going to use that spectrum on all cell sites.

This is great news. Most places right now have 1 LTE carrier on 1900. When they are done there will be 3, one on each of 3 bands.