Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

It's their supply chain advantage keeping them in the way from doing this more than anything - that's how they get the super high margins on the phone. Average Joe consumer isn't going to know about why tri-band is the steakballs, just that he gets fast "4g" ("you know, the next thing after 3g!").

Meanwhile, Qualcomm mass produces the chips, Apple buys a boatload, and then outfits devices. Then, the marketing magic happens.

Or, it's the Underpants Gnome paradox. :)

Yeah Okay.. Keep drinking what they are pouring during those keynotes. You are right.. there weren't massive amounts of UMTS/HSDPA chipsets out there for all the other smartphones in 2007 either.

Yeah Okay.. Keep drinking what they are pouring during those keynotes. You are right.. there weren't massive amounts of UMTS/HSDPA chipsets out there for all the other smartphones in 2007 either.

The Apple hooch is pretty good. You should try it. ;-)

But seriously, Apple's Supply Chain is a huge constraint to market. It encumbers them from being nimble and writing off losses to yell "FIRST". That's really never been their thing. I hated my one-button mouse. :P

I'm impressed with the initial TD-LTE rollout in Denver. Sounds like Sprint is matching other carriers' 10x10 FD-LTE performance, and this is just the beginning. Though having a honkin' hotspot vs. a phone probably helps a lot. When I was in Denver my Epic's WiMAX wasn't the most solid thing out there. But TD-LTE seems to be turning out the same kinds of speeds that I was seeing earlier this month on my Nexus 4 running on T-Mobile 10x10 LTE.

FWIW, if you've got dual antennas for it you can run 130 Mbps in 802.11n in 2.4GHz in 20MHz channels. MCS15. Which, even in the bad RF environment that is my apartment complex, churns out a pretty reliable 50 Mbps for me (then again, I'm connecting to an Amped Wireless R10000G, which is a more expensive router with high-end RF components).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Netgear (fka Sierra) hotspot only has single-chain WiFi on board, though it'd be somewhat of a disconnect as the LTE side is certainly using two Rx antennas.

I won't have time to do it this/next week, but when I'm back from a trip that will hit West Texas, Dallas, East Texas and Arkansas markets I'll drop by the Sprint store near me in Austin, which has WiMAX very nearby with plenty of backhaul. That site is a good candidate for TD-LTE, as are many here, though Sprint's blanket of PCS G LTE may mean that Band 41 is a lower priority here.

• Like 1

I would bet on history repeating itself and the iPhone being behind the curve as they have done this since the very first edge only iphone.

This is because Apple likes to leave themselves some wiggle room just in case they can't come up with anything major that's new. You leave one aspect out that people want and that's cutting edge so you can add it later and tout it, and only it. See:NFC on iPhone 5.

I have yet to find a single feature Apple touts as having invented or created that wasn't already available elsewhere. Apple just makes it slightly easier to use and markets it better.

• Like 8

This is also relevant http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12696

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

None of the screens on the Netgear MiFi show channel selection or channel width. There are more options when I sign into through the browser. But it won't take the Admin password that came with it. Still trying.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I ordered the new Novatel Mifi yesterday, arrived today. Tried to activate it and was on the phone for several hours - they decided it was defective and sending me a new one.  Except now they are on back order!! After only 1 day!

I've never had a device be DOA before.  Frustrating.

I could probably find out since I work for Clearwire.

What's the word? Is Clearwire still using microwave for backhaul for the TD LTE sites? I would've thought an upgrade to fiber would be needed at least if the towers are going to have both Wimax and TD LTE...

What's the word? Is Clearwire still using microwave for backhaul for the TD LTE sites? I would've thought an upgrade to fiber would be needed at least if the towers are going to have both Wimax and TD LTE...

Yes, still using microwave.

What's the backhaul speed of the microwave connection?

Beverage, popcorn, or defrost?

:P

AJ

• Like 5

I have a question about TD-LTE.  My understand is that we believe that Clearwire's network uses 4:3 downlink to uplink ratio for their time slots. I am wondering if it would be possible for Sprint to adjust the ratio to reach 100+Mbps without needing to add another 20Mhz. 

What's the backhaul speed of the microwave connection?

I have the question out, there will let you know when I find out. I think it must be a full deployment in the Denver area as there has been usage generated on almost 100 towers already. 

I have the question out, there will let you know when I find out. I think it must be a full deployment in the Denver area as there has been usage generated on almost 100 towers already. 

Sprint must have sold a lot of the portable hotspots. Triband phones aren't out yet.

Considering that Wirefly is literally giving them away. Lol.

Maybe this MiFi 500 loophole is actually not a loophole? I doubt they would allow it if it weren't planned.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 5, not the old one (using Tapatalk 2).

My guess is that Sprint's 100% subsidizing them and that we're going to end up with a new two year agreement by activating.  ;)

My guess is that Sprint's 100% subsidizing them and that we're going to end up with a new two year agreement by activating. ;)

Exactly my point. Sprint is most-likely subsidizing these things.

Sprint is being weird about this Tri-band launch. First, a totally soft-launch with very little fan-fare, then the apparent subsidizing on the Novatel Tri-band hotspot???

Seems like they have a trick or two up their sleeves.

I do hope I can activate this hotspot on a pay-as-you-go plan, but I doubt that very seriously.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 5, not the old one (using Tapatalk 2).