Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

He's asking if it is 802.11b, G, or n. Then of course you have channel size, MIMO type and SGI used to determine the handshake rate.

I bet that thing is N. But depending on the device it could max out at 72 handshake. I believe the Note2 maxes out at 65 handshake unless you are on 5ghz. So cut that in half for real world performance.

I

I didn't word it right but yes that's what tried to get at that the wifi link to the phone could be limiting the max speed. Sneaking phobe use at work. Shhhhh....

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Do you know up to which MCS the Netgear device supports?  I never thought about the wifi being the bottle neck with these hotspot devices.

Good question.  Sometimes, the FCC OET docs do list the max supported MCS index.  I will see if I can locate it.

AJ

Do you know up to which MCS the Netgear device supports?  I never thought about the wifi being the bottle neck with these hotspot devices.

Good question.  Sometimes, the FCC OET docs do list the max supported MCS index.  I will see if I can locate it.

The FCC OET application docs do not explicitly state 802.11n max MCS index for the Netgear tri band hotspot.  But they do provide enough info to deduce it, as the docs state that the hotspot is limited to 20 MHz carriers.  So, a 20 MHz carrier with a single spatial stream would cap out at 65 Mbps or 72 Mbps, depending on guard interval.  In other words, it is MCS index 7, and that could be a bottleneck with TD-LTE 2600 using 20 MHz TDD carriers.

AJ

The FCC OET application docs do not explicitly state 802.11n max MCS index for the Netgear tri band hotspot. But they do provide enough info to deduce it, as the docs state that the hotspot is limited to 20 MHz carriers. So, a 20 MHz carrier with a single spatial stream would cap out at 65 Mbps or 72 Mbps, depending on guard interval. In other words, it is MCS index 7, and that could be a bottleneck with TD-LTE 2600 using 20 MHz TDD carriers.

AJ

Now the question is.. will it do two spatial streams? Only Robert can tell us if he can find or has a laptop that does MIMO.

EDIT: and of course the laptop has the ability to show info like this: 

zvmsx.jpg

I even talked with store manager and threw around the S4GRU name.  They looked for all rate codes and anything they could do to sell it off contract.  They couldn't do it.  If I wanted to walk out the door with the new Netgear Triband LTE MiFi today in Lone Tree, Colorado, I had to sign a two year agreement.  So I did, even though I had planned to pay full retail and do a month to month.

Robert

Did anyone recognize the name when you threw it out there? When I was still with Sprint I was the only person, I would talk about this site but would join.

I imagine the conversation went a little something like this...

:P

AJ

"I'm Robert from the website S4GRU" haha the 2nd Anchorman end if this year! :-)

It was around -80dBm RSRP.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just wondering but shouldn't speeds be higher for such a strong signal?  

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think i read somewhere that Clearwire LTE network was capable of up to 100 Mbps

Especially considering the limited amount of devices that are capable of using 2500/2600 LTE right now. 

You were probably the only person on that tower LOL

Just wondering but shouldn't speeds be higher for such a strong signal?  

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think i read somewhere that Clearwire LTE network was capable of up to 100 Mbps

Especially considering the limited amount of devices that are capable of using 2500/2600 LTE right now. 

You were probably the only person on that tower LOL

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4083-sprint-td-lte-25002600mhz-discussion-was-clearwire-lte/?p=173307

• Maximum speed test hit was 40Mbps in all my testing.  Maximum upload hit was almost 25Mbps.  Lowest ping time was 100ms.  But remember that this was from a hotspot, so some ping is lost there.  When I could test on Band 25, my hotspot was adding between 75-150ms to pings over what my Note 2 was doing from the same site/sector.
  • It seems in the current Denver deployment, LTE 2600 download speeds seemed limited on Clearwire's existing backhaul that is being shared with WiMax.  For instance, I had a WiMax Galaxy S2 that I was using side by side with my TD-LTE hotspot.  When I hit 40Mbps DL on TD-LTE, I was hitting 14-16Mbps DL on WiMax (although I cannot guarantee I was on the same site).  However, when I would hit 8Mbps DL on TD-LTE with a full signal, I would also only hit about 6-8Mbps DL on WiMax.  So with this, I concluded that Clearwire is sharing their LTE and WiMax on the same backhaul.  So if the LTE/WiMax 2600 site has more backhaul speed available than the WiMax airlink could support, then the LTE would be much faster than WiMax, up to whatever speed the backhaul was currently running.  If the backhaul was burdened to a speed lower than the WiMax airlink, then the LTE and WiMax 2600 were the same speed roughly.
  • Upload speeds.  Upload speeds were good to great.  I averaged 8-10Mbps upload speeds.  Sometimes hitting into the 20's.  At sites where speeds were below 7-8Mbps, the upload was averaging higher.  WiMax upload was limited to 1.5Mbps, but Clearwire TDD LTE is much higher.  This leads me to conclude that these are indeed 20MHz channels.  I don't think we would see 20Mbps+ upload speeds on Time Division with only 10MHz channels.

Now the question is.. will it do two spatial streams? Only Robert can tell us if he can find or has a laptop that does MIMO.

EDIT: and of course the laptop has the ability to show info like this:

If nothing else, I have a couple of MacBook variants that support 2x2 MIMO plus display MCS indices and handshake levels.  Robert and I could each hop short flights to Denver, then unleash "two wild and crazy guys" on the Mile High City for a few hours of testing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPy1D-bsFDE

AJ

• Like 1

What WiFi dies it use 54 mbps or one of the faster/newer ones. Won't the wifi on 2.5 cause issues withe tge 2.5 ghz faster wifi sigals?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Man I make a lot of typo's, even more at work trying to sneak in texts past the boss....

My Note 2 connected to my home wifi then to the 50Mbps cable does not top out much faster than Robert got on the MyFi (MiFi?).

The cable is pretty fast too I bet 50Mbps on it using the browser Speedtest page on the desktop most all the time.

I hear AJ walking up....

Actually there is a MCS index for 600 megabits on N with 4 spatial streams (MIMO).

Since our phones only have one wifi antenna you are limited to 1 spatial stream and since many are limited to only 20mhz channels it becomes less. Depending on the guard interval the router has at 1 spatial stream at 20mhz you are limited to 65 or 72 megabits based on the GI. And generally rule of thumb I've found is to cut this in half for real data rate. So basically this is why the Note2 and many other phones at 802.11n 2.4ghz you are limited to about 35 megabits.

I see this with my home wifi when doing speedtests on 2.4ghz. When I switch to 5ghz where I have a 40mhz channel and my device can use this 40mhz on the 5ghz side, I can hit a speedtest around 45 mbit down which is probably due to my bottleneck at the cable modem then.

Also be aware that some laptops only have on spatial stream so they will also cap out at 65/72. Then another laptop might be handshaking at 200+ megabits right next to it. I see this all the time with the various devices on my router as the device list on my router shows the current handshake rate for up/down on each device and the signal strength/quality of each device.

I get 100 mb/s on my PC. With my s3 on the same network I get 45mb/s

Well that's one way to keep one hotspot from sucking up all the data at once, have the WIFI slower than the LTE.

If it supports MIMO on the wifi side then that will not be true.

Honestly I wouldn't be worried about it with those speeds anyways. Don't you have a cap with these devices anyways?

Well that's one way to keep one hotspot from sucking up all the data at once, have the WIFI slower than the LTE.

If limited to the 2.4 GHz ISM band, using only 20 MHz carriers is practically de rigueur.  So few channels are available in the band that using 40 MHz carriers is basically being a bad neighbor.

AJ

• Like 1

Nice find!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks. I'm going to assume the next Triband phone will be the note 3. I doubt this years iPhone model "5s" will be Triband however rumor specs says the newer iPhone will have an upgraded LTE radio chip. Not sure what that means but I hope it means it will will support all of sprints LTE bands.

Thanks. I'm going to assume the next Triband phone will be the note 3. I doubt this years iPhone model "5s" will be Triband however rumor specs says the newer iPhone will have an upgraded LTE radio chip. Not sure what that means but I hope it means it will will support all of sprints LTE bands.

Chipset support is only one minor piece of the battle. Still need antennas, filters, and amplifiers to go with it.

• Like 2

Looks like the new LG G2 will be Triband for sprint. It was just cleared through the FCC today

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/discuss.php?ff=12696

Triband is coming y'all!!

You forgot to mention it is also a world phone. International lte roaming anyone?

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12696

• Like 1

Chipset support is only one minor piece of the battle. Still need antennas, filters, and amplifiers to go with it.

True. I'm just going to say the next year iPhone will support Triband. By then LTE should be (hopefully) deployed nationwide and most of the major markets are above 60% competition

True. I'm just going to say the next year iPhone will support Triband. By then LTE should be (hopefully) deployed nationwide and most of the major markets are above 60% competition

I would bet on history repeating itself and the iPhone being behind the curve as they have done this since the very first edge only iphone.

I would bet on history repeating itself and the iPhone being behind the curve as they have done this since the very first edge only iphone.

It's their supply chain advantage keeping them in the way from doing this more than anything - that's how they get the super high margins on the phone. Average Joe consumer isn't going to know about why tri-band is the steakballs, just that he gets fast "4g" ("you know, the next thing after 3g!"). 

Meanwhile, Qualcomm mass produces the chips, Apple buys a boatload, and then outfits devices. Then, the marketing magic happens.

Or, it's the Underpants Gnome paradox. :)

• Like 1