Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

http://www.wirefly.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=21427_227e16dc06ef4ac796662fd54752d6c6

note the month to month plan, the device costs 329$, else with contract plan is 19.99$

They wouldn't let me do it. Said it required a two year agreement. And since I was in Denver for only 10 hours, I didn't have a lot of options.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So were you conflicted on whether to map it on sensorly or not? Edit: just realized you can't do it from a hot spot. Duh. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, that was a major bummer not to be able to Sensorly map. And since Clearwire LTE has a different network ID, it would probably not appear even if it was on a smartphone until Sensorly adds it as a Sprint LTE network in their database.

Yeah, that was a major bummer not to be to Sensorly map. And since Clearwire LTE has a different network ID, it would probably not appear even if it was on a smartphone until Sensorly adds it as a Sprint LTE network in their database.

If theres a different netowkr ID, it WOULD be easy for sensorly to have it be mapped into a new color, yes?

If theres a different netowkr ID, it WOULD be easy for sensorly to have it be mapped into a new color, yes?

As DaQue mentions, Sensorly sees a smartphone connected to a hotspot as a WiFi connection. Just like if you were at home. No mapping done. :td:

Yeah, that was a major bummer not to be to Sensorly map. And since Clearwire LTE has a different network ID, it would probably not appear even if it was on a smartphone until Sensorly adds it as a Sprint LTE network in their database.

Do you know if it shows up as a different MCC/MNC?  Otherwise it might be not mappable in different colors.

If there's a different network ID, it WOULD be easy for sensorly to have it be mapped into a new color, yes?

Likely Sensorly will have to create a new map, because, as you note, LTE 2600 is a different network ID, and also because it would conflict with Wimax on the Wimax map and with LTE 1900 on Sprint LTE map. It will be interesting to see what they do with LTE 800.

http://www.lightreading.com/blog/smartphones-handsets/sprints-duallte-future-looms-help-wanted/240158714

Sprint job listing.

• As the Manager of RAN Development and Integration, you will be responsible for the design, development, architecture and testing of the Radio Access network elements that will support Sprint's LTE network development and integration. This team will have the responsibility for the delivering an end-to-end RAN design and architecture for the TD LTE network that will co-exist with an existing FD LTE network.

• Like 2

The first article on Sprint/Clearwire TD-LTE 2600 has been published.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/162029-sprint-turns-on-lte-tdd-allowing-it-to-compete-with-att-and-verizons-coverage-and-performance

It appears to draw a lot of its info from this very thread.

AJ

• Like 13

The first article on Sprint/Clearwire TD-LTE 2600 has been published.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/162029-sprint-turns-on-lte-tdd-allowing-it-to-compete-with-att-and-verizons-coverage-and-performance

It appears to draw a lot of its info from this very thread.

AJ

Tsk tsk, no credit for the speedtest picture

edit: now I see it. I wonder why it didn't show up under the pic until after I refreshed. Oh well :P

Imagine what the higher ups in AT&T and VZW are thinking right now. " How did they get there before we did, we are bigger, it's not fair, they cheated"

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

I'm getting TD-LTE all over Denver. So far, everywhere I've gone between Centennial and Aurora. It seems better than WiMax because it can hold on to weaker signals and a very weak signal is quite usable. And way better than Sprint 3G. Here is my best speed test so far:

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1374530812831.jpg

I'm averaging 10Mbps. And considering that my average connection is -110dBm RSRP, that's pretty darn good.

What was the signal strength for the 35 Mbps speedtest you attached?

What WiFi dies it use 54 mbps or one of the faster/newer ones. Won't the wifi on 2.5 cause issues withe tge 2.5 ghz faster wifi sigals?

What WiFi dies it use 54 mbps or one of the faster/newer ones. Won't the wifi on 2.5 cause issues withe tge 2.5 ghz faster wifi sigals?

Wifi runs on 2.4 GHz frequency not 2.5 GHz.

• Like 1

Wifi is on 2.4 GHz. I didn't think there was any other wifi in the 2 GHz bands.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Wifi is on 2.4 GHz. I didn't think there was any other wifi in the 2 GHz bands.

He's asking if it is 802.11b, G, or n. Then of course you have channel size, MIMO type and SGI used to determine the handshake rate.

I bet that thing is N. But depending on the device it could max out at 72 handshake. I believe the Note2 maxes out at 65 handshake unless you are on 5ghz. So cut that in half for real world performance.

• Like 1

He's asking if it is 802.11b, G, or n. Then of course you have channel size, MIMO type and SGI used to determine the handshake rate.

I bet that thing is N. But depending on the device it could max out at 72 handshake. I believe the Note2 maxes out at 65 handshake unless you are on 5ghz. So cut that in half for real world performance.

It was running N. I thought N maxed out at 300Mbps?

Ah, ok. Does 802.11ac have the same max speed as N?

What was the signal strength for the 35 Mbps speedtest you attached?

It was around -80dBm RSRP.

• Like 1

He's asking if it is 802.11b, G, or n.

OBGYN?

:P

AJ

• Like 4

Ah, ok. Does 802.11ac have the same max speed as N?

No.  The hardware configurations (MIMO, guard interval, etc.) in both router and device are usually the bottleneck.  But 802.11ac supports up to 160 MHz carriers, while 802.11n maxes out at 40 MHz carriers.

AJ

• Like 1

It was running N. I thought N maxed out at 300Mbps?

I hear AJ walking up.... 

Actually there is a MCS index for 600 megabits on N with 4 spatial streams (MIMO). 

Since our phones only have one wifi antenna you are limited to 1 spatial stream and since many are limited to only 20mhz channels it becomes less.  Depending on the guard interval the router has at 1 spatial stream at 20mhz you are limited to 65 or 72 megabits based on the GI.  And generally rule of thumb I've found is to cut this in half for real data rate.  So basically this is why the Note2 and many other phones at 802.11n 2.4ghz you are limited to about 35 megabits. 

I see this with my home wifi when doing speedtests on 2.4ghz.  When I switch to 5ghz where I have a 40mhz channel and my device can use this 40mhz on the 5ghz side, I can hit a speedtest around 45 mbit down which is probably due to my bottleneck at the cable modem then.

Also be aware that some laptops only have on spatial stream so they will also cap out at 65/72.  Then another laptop might be handshaking at 200+ megabits right next to it.  I see this all the time with the various devices on my router as the device list on my router shows the current handshake rate for up/down on each device and the signal strength/quality of each device.

No.  The hardware configurations (MIMO, guard interval, etc.) in both router and device are usually the bottleneck.  But 802.11ac supports up to 160 MHz carriers, while 802.11n maxes out at 40 MHz carriers.

AJ

Do you know up to which MCS the Netgear device supports?  I never thought about the wifi being the bottle neck with these hotspot devices.