IPv6 support

Another thing to keep in mind that even though a website may return IPv6 addresses in DNS, the DNS servers that the website itself uses may be v4 only. This isn't a problem now, but could be in the future if we start having Internet connections that only have v6 addresses.

The first site in the list (cybermod) will only load if you have IPv6 on the device that is trying to load it.  That site itself is an example of an IPv6 only site.  You must not have a working IPv6 path to the internet on your home computer.  I suggest you go to: http://test-ipv6.com and test your computer to see if it has both IPv4 and IPv6 stacks running with connectivity to the internet.

ahhh well i guess time warner does not use IPv6 then. its weird because we are upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 and i know for a fact that supports v6. perhaps its the DNS server they use? ive never changed it before.

ahhh well i guess time warner does not use IPv6 then. its weird because we are upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 and i know for a fact that supports v6. perhaps its the DNS server they use? ive never changed it before.

I have TWC and they definitely support IPv6. You'll have to get a router that supports it/turn it on in your router's settings but it is there.

I am connected straight to my Motorola modem and there is nothing in my modems control panel about IPv6.

I don't think it's supposed to say on the modem's page. Which modem are you using?

• 5 months later...
Interesting, my Nexus 6 is still IPv4 only. I wonder if IPv6 would work if I edited the APN... Unfortunately 5.1.1 took away the ability to view or edit the APN with a Sprint SIM inserted (though I could probably edit the db manually).

Does the S6 edge let you view the APN that's being used? I'm also curious what happens if you drop to 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 6

When I drop to 3g this is what I get.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5751491E40D9FD7F!11345&authkey=!ALgraVRY0UB9WtA&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

I can view my APNs ,I am connected to APN2 LTE internet (n.ispsn)

My market is South Jersey and Philly Metro

Edited by benji827

When I drop to 3g this is what I get.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5751491E40D9FD7F!11345&authkey=!ALgraVRY0UB9WtA&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

I can view my APNs ,I am connected to APN2 LTE internet (n.ispsn)

My market is South Jersey and Philly Metro

OK, so you lose IPv6 on 3G, which was what I suspected.

If you tap on that APN, it should list a bunch of stuff (it's greyed out so you can't edit it), one of which is APN protocol. Does it say IPv4, IPv6, or IPv4/IPv6 in that field?

Sent from my Nexus 6

AT&T and T-Mobile LTE are not using IPV6 for me.

T-Mobile has their APN set to use IPv6 by default on newer devices. You can change the APN and it'll work (set it to IPv6, not IPv4/IPv6). Some things may be faster since it won't have to go through their carrier grade NAT.

Sent from my Nexus 6

No IPv6 here.

So I suspect that it can be "forced" by editing the APN. But I'm not sure if that is necessarily a good thing. It'll mean anything using IPv6 (Google for example) will need to re-establish a connection upon dropping to 3G. If Google Play Services, for example, doesn't know it lost IPv6, then it could delay push notifications for several minutes until the heartbeat times out.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

IPv6 was just turned on in San Francisco

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Actually, it seems to be phone specific. My Nexus 6P gets an IPv6 address, but my partner's Galaxy S5 does not.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• 3 weeks later...