Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

They have been doing fiber backhaul upgrades on cell site right now. my question is the ones that aren't showing upgrades (network.sprint.com) on the map they will still get the upgraded backhaul when NV hits.

Fiber/microwave backhaul is not being done to cell sites until the site is having NV tower upgrade.

The stuff on the website u referenced is NOT fiber its only bundled T1 lines being used as patch work temporarily to help the area get by till NV upgrades are done.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Fiber/microwave backhaul is not being done to cell sites until the site is having NV tower upgrade.

The stuff on the website u referenced is NOT fiber its only bundled T1 lines being used as patch work temporarily to help the area get by till NV upgrades are done.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Or as Robert likes to refer to them, "Band-Aid Fixes"

• Like 3

There is something going on in phoenix area.. 3g towers will go offline.. ill be running 1x in areas I normally get all 5 bars. Then back 3g full bars half hour later.3g got an upgrade or two at the airport recently I noticed at work some really nice speeds between terminal 3 and 4 by the faa tower...

Have you heard any rumblings about lte in the phx metro area? Vzw launched here... att is here... tmobile though not real 4g... better 3g is here as well. I feel like I have been stood up at the dance by sprint... I would hope that as they are upgrading speed and connectivity issues they would also be doing nv upgrades and lte as well.. I would hope...

There is something going on in phoenix area.. 3g towers will go offline.. ill be running 1x in areas I normally get all 5 bars. Then back 3g full bars half hour later.3g got an upgrade or two at the airport recently I noticed at work some really nice speeds between terminal 3 and 4 by the faa tower...

Have you heard any rumblings about lte in the phx metro area? Vzw launched here... att is here... tmobile though not real 4g... better 3g is here as well. I feel like I have been stood up at the dance by sprint... I would hope that as they are upgrading speed and connectivity issues they would also be doing nv upgrades and lte as well.. I would hope...

It would be nice if they were deploying NV/LTE in PHX. You guys deserve it.

However, likely what you are experiencing in PHX is related to temporary band aid fixes of additional carriers and additional T1 backhaul upgrades as shown at network.sprint.com.

By my sources, NV work has not begun in Phoenix except for some minor backhaul improvements to some sites is beginning. However, many of the vendors doing this work won't be hooking it up to existing services. They are just being terminated there. It will take a visit from Ericsson (Sprint's network vendor) or Alcatel/Lucent (Sprint's NV vendor for PHX) to hook these up.

I do appreciate you bringing us up to speed on what you are experiencing there in PHX. Also, thanks for joining S4GRU and :welc:

Stay tuned to S4GRU.com for all the latest deployment news. We will be announcing the next NV/LTE city in live chat tonight and the next article will be posted early tomorrow morning.

- Robert

Posted via Forum Runner

Just curious, because when I was driving to the airport today (I live in KC) I noticed several towers that had the radio behind the antenna, but there was an antenna right next to it without a radio directly behind it. I remember from the Lawrence drawings this looked like the case like it was done in phases. So my guess these towers are ready they just have to turn on the new antennas and remove the old, or am I completely missing the mark.

Yes, the legacy 1900 MHz antennas will remain mounted during a transition phase. My supposition is that -- even after the new 800/1900 MHz dual band antennas and radios have been mounted -- CDMA1X 1900 will continue to operate from the legacy 1900 MHz infrastructure during at least part of that transition phase. So, the mere presence of antenna mounted radios does not mean that you are experiencing Network Vision enhanced coverage -- yet. But I will leave it to Robert to chime in and confirm or correct my supposition.

AJ

• Like 1

Yes' date=' the legacy 1900 MHz antennas will remain mounted during a transition phase. My supposition is that -- even after the new 800/1900 MHz dual band antennas and radios have been mounted -- CDMA1X 1900 will continue to operate from the legacy 1900 MHz infrastructure during at least part of that transition phase. So, the mere presence of antenna mounted radios does not mean that you are experiencing Network Vision enhanced coverage -- yet. But I will leave it to Robert to chime in and confirm or correct my supposition.

AJ[/quote']

This is correct. Based on the Lawrence drawings and the Chicago cluster sequencing docs, the antennas/radios (RRU's) appear to go up first, side by side with the operational legacy equipment. New base station cabinets get installed beside legacy base equipment. The NV contractors will deploy antennas, RRU's and base station cabinets over the entire cluster, while leaving legacy equipment active during that time.

Once the entire cluster is prepared with tower hardware complete, the next phase will include connecting new enhanced backhaul, preparing additional carriers (as needed for capacity), preparing and programming base hardware/software. New coax runs from the base cabinets to RRU's will be installed side by side with legacy coax.

At this time, the NV side will become live and testing will commence. However, most customers will be oblivious. Testing will occur in G Block, even CDMA testing, so as to not interfere with customers. They will start with with 1x testing on G Block, including 911 drive route testing in each cell. Once accepted, they will perform EVDO testing in G Block frequencies. Then finally LTE testing. Then all carriers get configured to their permanent frequency set.

Once everything is tested and confirmed ready, the switch over will begin. Legacy systems are disconnected and new NV configuration goes live. Over the entire cluster. This is likely when Sprint customers will notice something different is going on with how the network is performing.

In most cases, there are two or three clusters being worked on in a market at any given time. Each cluster takes about two to four weeks to complete, based on size, number of sites and complexities. The number of clusters in a Sprint market is highly variable based on the density population and coverage of each market.

After all the NV sites are confirmed operational, legacy equipment will start to be decommissioned and removed. This is exciting stuff to me. I have an article planned on this subject. Hopefully I can get to it this week.

- Robert

Posted via Forum Runner

• Like 6

Exceptions would probably be in smaller towns.

I'm thinking exceptions would be sites that cannot get fiber, nor a microwave line of sight established. There are lots of rural canyons and valleys in the West where this could occur. Also, there could be places that temporarily cannot get the fiber or microwave backhaul they need. But will be able to in a few months.

Being in between Mass and NYC sucks.

It's similar to being between LA and Dallas, except we have beautiful mesas and mountains. And the taxes are lower. :tu:

• Like 2

Tonight we announced the newest market: South Bay, which includes San Jose, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Mountain View, Santa Cruz, Watsonville, Salinas, Monterey, Gilroy, Hollister and Morgan Hill.

Here is the map...http://s4gru.com/index.php?/gallery/image/107-sprint-market-map-south-bay/

We will be announcing the next two markets at once at the Live Chat on Thursday night...http://s4gru.com/index.php?/calendar/event/2-live-chat-two-nvlte-cities-to-be-announced/

Columbus, Ohio please

Sent from my EVO 3D w/ MeanRom

Columbus' date=' Ohio please

Sent from my EVO 3D w/ MeanRom[/quote']

I'll let Hesse know that you placed an order for a Columbus at the drive through window. ;)

Would you like fries with that?

Posted via Forum Runner

I'll let Hesse know that you placed an order for a Columbus at the drive through window.

Would you like fries with that?

Posted via Forum Runner

He better take care of his fellow alumni in South Bend.

Sent from my EVO 4G via Tapatalk

He better take care of his fellow alumni in South Bend.

Sent from my EVO 4G via Tapatalk

For the size of the South Bend market, I think you will be quite happy about its location in deployment schedule. Stay tuned.