WiMax Protection Site Operation Confirmation

S4GRU

Robert' date=' fantastic site. Flooded with great information.

Quick question. My son has a Samsung Galaxy Epic S2, I realize it's only compatible for 4G WiMAX. My area (zip code 23456, Virginia Beach), currently has very spotty 4G WiMAX coverage, the closest main location for a strong 4G signal is in Richmond. Is Clear going to be upgrading their current WiMAX coverage, or are we S.O.L. in our area ??

Thanks in advance....[/quote']

Welcome to S4GRU. :welc:

Unfortunately, expansion of WiMax is over. Where WiMax is already deployed, Sprint and Clearwire have worked out a deal to keep the existing WiMax network operating until at least 2015. But Sprint and Clearwire are spending every dollar they have for 4G expansion on getting LTE deployed as soon as possible.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Welcome to S4GRU. :welc:

Unfortunately, expansion of WiMax is over. Where WiMax is already deployed, Sprint and Clearwire have worked out a deal to keep the existing WiMax network operating until at least 2015. But Sprint and Clearwire are spending every dollar they have for 4G expansion on getting LTE deployed as soon as possible.

That's what I feared. Oh well, I see you bumped up the Norfolk/VA Beach area for LTE, let's hope that gets activated soon and I'll look into getting him a compatible phone.

Thanks again....

That's what I feared. Oh well' date=' I see you bumped up the Norfolk/VA Beach area for LTE, let's hope that gets activated soon and I'll look into getting him a compatible phone.

Thanks again....[/quote']

I have rearranged the list based on my interpretation of the schedule and market launches of the Second Round markets. I am now about to start the Second Round market schedule update article series and will have some more detailed info about NV/LTE deployment in the Norfolk market soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote this a few weeks ago....

Greetings,

For a long time, the http://www.clear.com/coverage map has shown 4g service in Fresno.

The sensorly app has confirmed it works....

Or at least used to. I was at various locations in the area shown to have 4G and not once did I connect. Was at a bar on Van Ness south of Fresno City College for a bit, and it never connected. Then drove to Shields/Blackstone and nothing as well. Coverage is also shown downtown by the amtrak station, I was there last week and nothing either.

I have a feeling the towers have been turned off.

I was wondering, if the tower is indeed off, or broken, or whatever, would either sprint or clear respond to complaints and have it fixed....? Fresno probably wont see LTE until 2014, so some wimax would be nice....

I wrote this a few weeks ago....

I was wondering' date=' if the tower is indeed off, or broken, or whatever, would either sprint or clear respond to complaints and have it fixed....? Fresno probably wont see LTE until 2014, so some wimax would be nice....[/quote']

I was under the understanding that clearwire was still maintaining the WiMax towers. The pre-WiMax equipment however, is not going to be fixed. I would enter a trouble ticket with Sprint and/or clearwire.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

a bit late to the game here, but i finally got to test out a wimax device and can confirm an active protection site in Salinas, CA specifically around zip code 93905 and partially in 93901.

I have since switched back to my Apple device so I dont' recall the data speed results but I know in one area it reached more than 7Mbps down. and it reached the cap of 1.5Mbps up.

I was under the understanding that clearwire was still maintaining the WiMax towers. The pre-WiMax equipment however, is not going to be fixed. I would enter a trouble ticket with Sprint and/or clearwire.

Its certainly a wimax tower (or two). Ill give sprint a call and see if they can trouble ticket it.

• 2 weeks later...

Pre wimax (expediance) equiptment is being fixed period. IF somthing major happens like a watertank refurb or tower mover etc. it's flat out being decomissioned. The repair SLA's are low(long) but still functioning

• Like 1

Pre wimax (expediance) equiptment is being fixed period. IF somthing major happens like a watertank refurb or tower mover etc. it's flat out being decomissioned. The repair SLA's are low(long) but still functioning

How do you know?

How do you know?

He knows. If he wants to say more, he can.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• 4 weeks later...
Well' date=' the wimax tower in Fresno is working. Got 5mbps or so last night. The signal is weak though, cant even get it inside a carboard single story building, you have to be outside.[/quote']

Wow, outside coverage in Visalia is like that and it's a full rollout city. Glad to hear it's working. Last December I couldn't get a signal from it.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Wow, outside coverage in Visalia is like that and it's a full rollout city. Glad to hear it's working. Last December I couldn't get a signal from it.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

It wasnt working just a couple of months ago when I was at the exact same place. I was going to call sprint about them but I was having other issues so I let it go.

In case youre wondering, I was at this location

http://goo.gl/maps/GNMnG

Speed test results:

Best upload was 1238

It wasnt working just a couple of months ago when I was at the exact same place. I was going to call sprint about them but I was having other issues so I let it go.

In case youre wondering, I was at this location

http://goo.gl/maps/GNMnG

Speed test results:

Best upload was 1238

Oh, ok. I was up by Shaw and the 41. Sprint won't comment about Protection sites as they aren't even listed on their coverage maps. You might want to complain about the issues to Clear since they acknowledge their existence. But those are pretty decent speeds for a Protection Site. Latency is terrible though.

Oh, ok. I was up by Shaw and the 41. Sprint won't comment about Protection sites as they aren't even listed on their coverage maps. You might want to complain about the issues to Clear since they acknowledge their existence. But those are pretty decent speeds for a Protection Site. Latency is terrible though.

Ping was 130-160

Was in Kerrville yesterday. Since my SIII only picks up LTE 4G, I stopped by the local Sprint store to see if their E4GT could pick up WiMAX in town. It couldn't.

I'll be back there in a few weeks, and will have a Clear Spot to test things out with.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a Clear Spot they could loan (or sell cheaply to) me for a day or two surrounding 9/18? Doesn't need to be active; I'm just trying to get around paying $79 for the Voyager plus a month's access if I can (Clearwire is having a promo on their branded service right now). i'd grab a NetZero hotspot, since 200MB is more than enough to do testing, but that's $20 more than the Clear device.

• Like 1

Was in Kerrville yesterday. Since my SIII only picks up LTE 4G, I stopped by the local Sprint store to see if their E4GT could pick up WiMAX in town. It couldn't.

I'll be back there in a few weeks, and will have a Clear Spot to test things out with.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a Clear Spot they could loan (or sell cheaply to) me for a day or two surrounding 9/18? Doesn't need to be active; I'm just trying to get around paying $79 for the Voyager plus a month's access if I can (Clearwire is having a promo on their branded service right now). i'd grab a NetZero hotspot, since 200MB is more than enough to do testing, but that's $20 more than the Clear device.

There is an online sale right now for only $24.99 for the device.

There is an online sale right now for only $24.99 for the device.

Please reread what I wrote. That sale requires you to purchase a month's worth of access right then. I don't need a month's worth of access. I want a two-hour pass to test speeds in Kerrville, plus either a two-hour or a day pass to test speeds in Austin. So that's $15 worth of service, not $35 or $50 (and I'd want the $50 one because I guarantee you that speeds in both instances are going to be above 1.5/0.5 down/up)

Please reread what I wrote. That sale requires you to purchase a month's worth of access right then. I don't need a month's worth of access. I want a two-hour pass to test speeds in Kerrville, plus either a two-hour or a day pass to test speeds in Austin. So that's $15 worth of service, not $35 or $50 (and I'd want the $50 one because I guarantee you that speeds in both instances are going to be above 1.5/0.5 down/up)

Clear offers a 2 hour pass for $4.99, a day pass for $9.99, and a week pass for $24.99.

Exactly :) So my total outlay for service, ideally, would be $14.98.

How did you calculated $14.98 if the device is $24.99 and the plan being a 2 hour pass for $4.99, a day pass for $9.99, and a week pass for $24.99?