IOS7 Announcement at WWDC

nobius

Was reading afar until I saw this comment... anyone who continues to bring up the fragmentation comment today is an absolute idiot as they have no idea what they are talking about. They should pull their heads out of the sand/apple sauce as this hasn't been the case for a long time.

I believe the laughable situation is the druthers that Iphone brings with their closed loop Nazi like attitude of an app store. Too late too little, most of smartened up and left due to many reasons like 2 yr old tech and features being groundbreaking.

I'm no developer, but lower fragmention sounds like a boon to me. Having to support older hardware in addition to outdated software sounds like a daunting task, especially as new API's and features come along, but I could be wrong. Never mind potential security issues that may arise with 2+ year old software, you're essentially a sitting duck for some sort of problem/attack, does Google issue patches for older versions of Android?

Personally, when I had an Android phone, I found being trapped on 1.5/1.6, while 2.0 was available for quite some time, to be pretty annoying. But then again, Android was quite terrible/clunky back then. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like having the ability to update my device to the newest version of the OS the minute it's released.

Can we please not make this a bash Apple thread? I'm begging now so that a war doesn't start. Apple has their strengths and Android does too. So lets not pass the blame game because some of us hate Apple and some hate Android.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I see the trolls have arrived.

Sent from my iPad/iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed they have.

Unfortunately. :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370916399.167356.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised to see they are correctly identifying the network type now. Not even my Note II does that without a hack.

• Like 2

Yep.. y'all rang the dinner bell with post 3.

Glad to see that you admit you're a troll. I never go into the Android sub forums here. Why can't you just ignore this forum?

Yep.. y'all rang the dinner bell with post 3.

I need to award style points for dropping the "y'all" in there. :)

Sorry no fox spin zone here. Never said that. Just a truth speaker.

I am not forum-racist to any forum, brand, market, thread, etc.

Somethingwrongontheinternet.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1370916399.167356.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised to see they are correctly identifying the network type now. Not even my Note II does that without a hack.

I bet the new signal strength dots are actually quantum dots.

AJ

• Like 1

The multitasking enhancements are smart... You have to register for what you want (periodic background time to download updates vs wake the app up when a push notification is received), but the OS waits for good signal strength or when the user wakes the device to do something else, then it takes advantage of the really strong signal or the user waking the device to also do the background updates. The OS also learns which apps you use frequently and gives them priority, so an app you haven't used in six months won't ever have its background updates scheduled (presumably).

That's rather nice, much better than what Android does. Wakelocks (especially system ones, but things like Facebook and Google Maps and Google+ do plenty on their own) are murderous to Android battery life. I should probably amend that to "being awake" is murderous to battery life on "embedded ARM systems", but eh.

Also, what in the world happened in here while I was gone? Are we still arguing who copied who? I'm a power user who likes to do things like chroot in to (full) Linux and compile code when I'm away from my home desktop, and I love Android's ROM development community, so the iPhone isn't for me. I still recommend them to most customers who ask. Apple makes a quality product. Their OS is very intuitive. Apple's customer service is stellar. They also do some of the best phone refurbishing/reconditioning I've seen. And Applecare covers things above and beyond other warranties, even if you didn't purchase it. No Android-producing company can claim all that. So, my point is - quit bashin' things you don't like. Celebrate the things that you do.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370916399.167356.jpg

I bet the new signal strength dots are actually quantum dots.

AJ

What are quantum dots? (Please put it in a nutshell. My brain hurts too much to read a Wikipedia page or something just as large.) Thanks.

Yes. Pointing out facts makes you a troll. Making a statement like that makes you a fanboy.

I can bash any platform just as much as apple, but if it's not what YOU want, we are trolls.

iOS7 is case positive proof that Apple is not the company it was when Steve Jobs was around. Deal with it. He's not coming back.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

does this really have to turn into an IOS vs Android??  I ve had both and just recently switched to Iphone5, at this point in the game is there really a whole lot different or new that is gonna come out and shock us.  Both platforms are becoming more similar by the update IMO.  On an opinion note, one little thing that bugs me.. the dots for signal strength,,,weird gonna take some getting used to LOL

Edited by bmattox79

Also, what in the world happened in here while I was gone? Are we still arguing who copied who? I'm a power user who likes to do things like chroot in to (full) Linux and compile code when I'm away from my home desktop, and I love Android's ROM development community, so the iPhone isn't for me. I still recommend them to most customers who ask. Apple makes a quality product. Their OS is very intuitive. Apple's customer service is stellar. They also do some of the best phone refurbishing/reconditioning I've seen. And Applecare covers things above and beyond other warranties, even if you didn't purchase it. No Android-producing company can claim all that. So, my point is - quit bashin' things you don't like. Celebrate the things that you do.

Right on brotha!

Edited by bmattox79

does this really have to turn into an IOS vs Android??  I ve had both and just recently switched to Iphone5, at this point in the game is there really a whole lot different or new that is gonna come out and shock us.  Both platforms are becoming more similar by the update IMO.  On an opinion note, one little thing that bugs me.. the dots for signal strength,,,weird gonna take some getting used to LOL

Definitely not, but unfortunately they were ringing the bell calling in the crews.  I was just going to read the new features but....

Huh? Who's copying who now?

Control Center: Copy of Android's quicksettings

Notification Center: looking rather Jelly-bean like with the expanded notifications

Multitasking: MUCH more Android-like with full-screen previews

iTunes Radio: right on the heels of Google Play Music All Access...

Airdrop: Galaxy S3's Allshare

It definitely looks like a nice update, with a very sleek interface - but I don't think Android is going to be copying much from it. Frankly, I figured we could leave the OS fights out of this, but...

My thoughts exactly, people venerate Apple way too much to realize that Apple does take features from competitors. It's not a bad thing, it's good. Competition leads to innovation, and in the end it's all the better for the consumer. I like the new iOS7, I have a few qualms about it, but over all I think it's finally up to par with Android and it's functionality.

-Luis

Yeah, those dots are really odd, but I use signal numbers from the Field Test bug (Force Quit Field Test app by holding power until 'Slide to Power Off' shows up, then hold down the 'Home' button until you return to the main screen.)

Looking at the features Apple has shown off so far, the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is Control Center so I can quickly turn on/off Bluetooth for connecting to a speaker in my car, and on/off airplane mode when looking for new LTE sites.

I'm a little nervous about the typography and hope that the fonts aren't too thin to read quickly.

The signal dots are different but I'll get used to it. I don't normally look at the signal much unless I notice that call reception is poor.

I'm glad they lost the skeumorphism or whatever it was called. Wasted too much space in Calender.

I like the increased gestures to make one-handed operation easier.

Multitasking improvements look nice.

AirDrop I'll definitely be using as my family have iPhones as well, so I can share photos more easily than via email or Drop Box.

I suggest checking out the keynote around the 1:30 mark to get a good overview of things.

I like it! Looks sleek! The new Siri voices and functions should be cool, as I use her alot, especially when traveling. It's easier than opening the browser and searching for places that way. I also like the control center. I will say it reminds me of my droid 3 in a way.....but that's cool! Best of both worlds! Thumbs up from me so far!

• Like 1