Samsung GS4 SPH-L720T [TRI-BAND] (was "Sprint GS4 with Tri-Band support this Fall Official Thread")

Ascertion

I'm edging toward getting a new Verizon hotspot myself, but I'm waiting for a global model with AWS LTE onboard and active.

The "good news" on Sprint's front is that unless Sprint decides to bid on AWS-3 spectrum too, Sprint's spectral portfolio will remain the same for at least 24 months after the AWS-2 auction.

I need an update on everyone's spectrum. lol

I need an update on everyone's spectrum. lol

Here's the bands everyone has (using Name+3GPP band numbers)

T-Mobile US

Cellular+B5 | PCS+B2 | AWS+B4 | 700MHz+B12 (perhaps AWS-E+B10 or a new one for AWS-3 in the future)

Sprint

ESMR/Cellular+B26 | PCS+B2 | PCS+B25 | IMT-E_TDD+B41 (eventually new band for PCS to add PCS H will be added)

AT&T

Cellular+B5 | PCS+B2 | AWS+B4 | 700MHz+B17 | WCS+B30 | 700_SDL+B29

Verizon

Cellular+B5 | PCS+B2 | AWS+B4 | 700MHz+B12 | 750MHz+B13 (perhaps AWS-E+B10 or a new one for AWS-3 in the future)

Dish/Echostar

AWS-4+B23 | 700_SDL+B29

These are only the Big Four and Dish, but USCC basically has the same bands as TMUS.

Currently, T-Mobile's MetroPCS division is working on constructing 700MHz Band 12 operations in the Boston BEA to meet the FCC buildout requirements. T-Mobile currently uses Cellular in one area, the Myrtle Beach CMA in South Carolina.

I listed PCS twice for Sprint because Sprint treats PCS A-F and PCS G (and PCS H) as separate bands internally.

I'm also worried that in order to cram all that LTE in there that some of the GSM/UMTS bands will be sacrificed (like they were in the HTC One). Right now the only other CDMA model of the S4 that also supports GSM is VZ's, and that's just dual-band LTE. Quad-band GSM/UMTS/HSPA+, tri-band CDMA/EVDO, tri-band LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, etc seems like a bit much to cram in, but I hope for all you waiting that they can do it!

There's no real "cramming" for multiple technologies anymore, especially with Qualcomm radio chains. The RF frontend of most CDMA2000 devices can be tweaked in software to work for UMTS. The only extra RF part required is a quad-band GSM PA if you want GSM support. While UMTS/LTE and UMTS-only RF frontend parts exist, these days no RF frontend parts exist for CDMA2000 that don't support UMTS. And the only CDMA2000 baseband that doesn't support UMTS is the VIA Telecom one. Qualcomm basebands support both just fine.

It is truly the operator's fault you don't have UMTS enabled out of the box on your CDMA2000 phone.

• Like 3

Interesting. I did not know T-Mobile had anything under 1ghz. When did they obtain spectrum in the 700mhz?

T-Mobile's sub 1 GHz spectrum is so limited as to be trivial -- just two licenses.  They include SunCom's Cellular A block 25 MHz license in the Myrtle Beach CMA, and MetroPCS' Lower 700 MHz A block 12 MHz license in the Boston BEA. 

AJ

• Like 2

Thats the thing, does soon mean August 15.......or black friday?

I want to dump my galaxy 2 into a volcano.

I wish I bought the GS2. I am stuck with a Photon 4G with Gingerbread.  At least the GS2 has official stock Jelly Bean and can support the latest Google apps.  Never touching Motorola again.

Based on what we know this year there are some exciting devices coming out that will be released in the Fall: iPhone 5S/6, Galaxy Note 3, HTC One Max, LG Optimus G2, perhaps a Galaxy S4 tri-band LTE model. 

Based on last year's schedule I expect the following release schedule for this year.

iPhone 5s/6: Sometime by end of Sept/early Oct

Galaxy Note 3: Sometime by end of October

HTC One Max:  if it comes to Sprint sometime in early October to get a jump before the Galaxy Note 3.

LG Optimus G2:  Sometime in early November

• Like 2

T-Mobile's sub 1 GHz spectrum is so limited as to be trivial -- just two licenses.  They include SunCom's Cellular A block 25 MHz license in the Myrtle Beach CMA, and MetroPCS' Lower 700 MHz A block 12 MHz license in the Boston BEA. 

AJ

It is crazy that we are the one place that T-Mobile has 850 coverage.  What sucks is being in the country this means that Verizon is the only 850 carrier I have out here that has 3G/4G since T-Mobile is 2G the moment you cross over the ICW (even Little River SC is only 2G for T-Mobile!!!)... Both Sprint and AT&T are 1900 out here and the signal is horrible inside.  I can't wait for Sprint to take my GMOs and get 800 on them!

I wish I bought the GS2. I am stuck with a Photon 4G with Gingerbread.  At least the GS2 has official stock Jelly Bean and can support the latest Google apps.  Never touching Motorola again.

The thing about "never touching Moto again" is that they are now part of Google.. The new Moto X really seems to be a new version of my Nexus 4 -- It appears it would be a phone that will be updated faster than pretty much anything out there (other THAN the Nexus phones)...  I remember waiting for updates that never came way back on my Moto Q WM phone though...

The thing about "never touching Moto again" is that they are now part of Google.. The new Moto X really seems to be a new version of my Nexus 4 -- It appears it would be a phone that will be updated faster than pretty much anything out there (other THAN the Nexus phones)... I remember waiting for updates that never came way back on my Moto Q WM phone though...

Well even then the Moto X doesn't seem to be a high end smartphone with high end specs so that is another failure on Motorola's part. Again I don't care if Google is taking over, the fact is that Motorola has a tainted reputation and Google is going to have to prove to the public that they can get software updates in a timely matter. So all I can say is time will tell. There is a reason why the majority of the smartphones sold out there are either Samsung or HTC. I rarely see Motorola smartphones floating around nowadays and I see why because the software support is just not there.

The least Motorola could have done with the Photon was release the ICS source code that they were working on so that devs can take over and build on it.

Well even then the Moto X doesn't seem to be a high end smartphone with high end specs so that is another failure on Motorola's part. Again I don't care if Google is taking over, the fact is that Motorola has a tainted reputation and Google is going to have to prove to the public that they can get software updates in a timely matter. So all I can say is time will tell. There is a reason why the majority of the smartphones sold out there are either Samsung or HTC. I rarely see Motorola smartphones floating around nowadays and I see why because the software support is just not there.

The least Motorola could have done with the Photon was release the ICS source code that they were working on so that devs can take over and build on it.

everything I have seen indicates the moto x is not supposed to be a top of the line phone! It is supposed to hit the nexus 4 demographic. I really think they are going to come out with a fantastic unsubsidized price on this phone. If they can make it cheap and have the still very good specs that have been leaked it so definitely be a winner.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I am with you on that, no argument on my part..

Thanks to your post you got me thinking about my Motorola history... My first phone was a MicroTAC 6000e (just found it and took a pic, which is now my pic on the left)... my next and last Moto was the Moto Q (with a bunch of phones in between)...

Then I entered the world of HTC with a the Touch Pro, Touch Pro2, EVO, EVO3D, and EVOLTE (among other phones in between including my Nexus and a few iPhones)... I will probably be on the Note3 this fall though...

We are you looking for in a phone?  Screen size, LTE capability, brand?

My ideal phone is the GS4 Active, but it looks like Sprint wont be getting it.

So I want the GS4 with triband.

Upgrade date is August 1.

Con of upgrading on that day:

-No triband

-Lose my 4G coverage

Pro

-Get to throw GS2 in front of a truck*

- Start the 20 month upgrade clock

*will keep it in drawer as backup, but you know what I mean.

-No triband

-Lose my 4G coverage

Pro

Unless you are the type that buys phones out of contract (not me, I only upgrade every 2 years) I would suck it up and wait until oct/nov phones to come out to upgrade.  While you might have those 2 months of pleasure of 1900 MHz LTE, you are going to regret not waiting 2 more months for deep building penetration 800 LTE and blazing fast 2500 LTE (although in Fresno that is going to be awhile.  I am fairly shocked that given the GS2 got the Jelly Bean upgrade I would be able to hang on for another 2 months.  Besides doesn't Fresno not have that much LTE coverage so how much LTE are you going to really experience?  Hopefully by the Fall there should be more LTE in the Lower Central Valley area.

I have the Photon and I am stuck on Gingerbread. That is such a struggle to wait to upgrade my phone especially when my tablet is running Jelly Bean.  I have been able to upgrade since June and trust me I know its hard to wait until the Fall to upgrade.  The current GS4 being only single band LTE didn't help or else I might have considered upgrading already.  However because of this additional wait I have had a change of heart  and am now gunning for the Note 3 as my phone of choice.

Unless you are the type that buys phones out of contract (not me, I only upgrade every 2 years) I would suck it up and wait until oct/nov phones to come out to upgrade.  While you might have those 2 months of pleasure of 1900 MHz LTE, you are going to regret not waiting 2 more months for deep building penetration 800 LTE and blazing fast 2500 LTE (although in Fresno that is going to be awhile.  I am fairly shocked that given the GS2 got the Jelly Bean upgrade I would be able to hang on for another 2 months.  Besides doesn't Fresno not have that much LTE coverage so how much LTE are you going to really experience?  Hopefully by the Fall there should be more LTE in the Lower Central Valley area.

I have the Photon and I am stuck on Gingerbread. That is such a struggle to wait to upgrade my phone especially when my tablet is running Jelly Bean.  I have been able to upgrade since June and trust me I know its hard to wait until the Fall to upgrade.  The current GS4 being only single band LTE didn't help or else I might have considered upgrading already.  However because of this additional wait I have had a change of heart  and am now gunning for the Note 3 as my phone of choice.

Im not in Fresno right now, Im in the central jersey market.

LTE is 2 miles away, but expanding without rhyme or reason (it's been within 5 miles for a year), wimax is strong and reliable here.

I probably wont be back to Fresno until December, which offers neither.

My GS2 has bad battery and enjoys turning itself off randomly at least once a week. Not so good when its my alarm and decides to so at at night - even when plugged in.

My dad has the photon. The lack of android update has been enough to ensure this family won't be purchasing any Motorolla product in the future.

Im not in Fresno right now, Im in the central jersey market.

LTE is 2 miles away, but expanding without rhyme or reason (it's been within 5 miles for a year), wimax is strong and reliable here.

I probably wont be back to Fresno until December, which offers neither.

My GS2 has bad battery and enjoys turning itself off randomly at least once a week. Not so good when its my alarm and decides to so at at night - even when plugged in.

My dad has the photon. The lack of android update has been enough to ensure this family won't be purchasing any Motorolla product in the future.

I know what you mean.  All the Wimax phones that were ever built have horrible battery life to be honest and not just the GS2.  I turn off my data when I am not using it at work but that is because I sit in a office area that is like a cave and has horrible signal so it drains the battery.  Even when I am out and about, I try to use 3G first for the battery savings and only use 4G when I have to.  I don't know if you have tried reflashing the stock ROM via Odin and see if it helps fix the random boot/turn off issue.  Maybe try flashing a custom ROM and see if you have any issues.

It seems like your GS2 is in a really funky state so depending on how much you can bare with the inconveniences you might be better off upgrading on Aug 1st to not deal with this crap anymore OR if you really want to hold off, try buying a $10 alarm clock from walmart and use it as your alarm.  If my phone was that unreliable I wouldn't risk continuing to use my phone as my alarm in fear of being late to work.  Also I looked at the NV Running list and I only see Central Jersey have 9% covered in LTE.  That is not really a lot of LTE anyways.

I have sworn off Motorola for now.  Even the Moto X isn't impressive given its going to be a mid tier phone based on the specs and not to mention its going to be single band 1900 LTE.  Also I need Google to show me that they can keep up with software updates for 2 years because as of now, I only see Verizon customers have Motorola phones because of the Droid series.

-No triband

-Lose my 4G coverage

Pro

The other option is to take your phone to an MVNO like Ting until Triband phones arrive. This is what I am doing and without changing my habits much I pay about 45% less per month. However, I know my data usage (and therefor cost at Ting) will go up on a triband phone so I do plan to go back to Sprint. FYI, The "back to new" customer timeout at Sprint is like 45 days. Just something to think about.