Samsung GS4 SPH-L720T [TRI-BAND] (was "Sprint GS4 with Tri-Band support this Fall Official Thread")

Ascertion

It said the band information (♪!) on the best buy phone boxes on one for which I checked.

I figured that would be a good way to know if it had the benefits of sprint

spark℠

(The one I checked only mentioned band 25/1900 MHz, by the way).

Edited by hhm0

It said the band information (♪!) on the best buy phone boxes on one for which I checked.

I figured that would be a good way to know if it had the benefits of sprint

spark℠

(The one I checked only mentioned band 25/1900 MHz, by the way).

At least one tri band handset displayed the same printed band info, so it should not be used as a primary reference.

AJ

At least one tri band handset displayed the same printed band info, so it should not be used as a primary reference.

AJ

at least 2*

The Nexus 5 sold by Sprint is shipped in a box that states the device only has LTE on 1900 mhz.

at least 2*

The Nexus 5 sold by Sprint is shipped in a box that states the device only has LTE on 1900 mhz.

You think it's because Spark was/is disabled out of the box on these devices that it's printed like that?

Sent from my LG-LS980

at least 2*

A few weeks ago, somebody posted a pic of that printed documentation.  I would have to find it and take another look, but I do not recall it stating "only" band 25 LTE 1900.  And, technically, that does make a difference.

When I teach logic, I make a point of emphasizing to students that omission does not indicate negation.  So, Sprint can omit mentioning the other bands but still be telling the truth.

AJ

• Like 2

Doesn't that gray icon with the red x over it mean that that is a feature that it doesn't have? It is cool that Sprint is now adding the Spark capability as a listed feature that a customer can look for, though.

For comparison, the S4 mini doesn't have it greyed out (but does have a "push-to-talk" icon greyed out).

If you review the filters on the left hand edge of the page you can see that there is an added choice:

Sprint Spark™

It is in the "Key features" section toward the bottom.

As of Dec 23rd AM, only the two Samsung devices are there.

If there is a set "official" launch date, I'd suspect it won't hit until the 25th -or during that following shopping / post-Christmas sale cycle for the reasons outlined above.

The longer they wait after Christmas day, the longer they risk not getting their hands on that Christmas gift cash as more people opt for the other already available Spark options.

To hit the promised December launch date, they only have another week at this point anyhow.  :)

For comparison, the S4 mini doesn't have it greyed out (but does have a "push-to-talk" icon greyed out).

If you review the filters on the left hand edge of the page you can see that there is an added choice:

Sprint Spark™

It is in the "Key features" section toward the bottom.

As of Dec 23rd AM, only the two Samsung devices are there.

If there is a set "official" launch date, I'd suspect it won't hit until the 25th -or during that following shopping / post-Christmas sale cycle for the reasons outlined above.

The longer they wait after Christmas day, the longer they risk not getting their hands on that Christmas gift cash as more people opt for the other already available Spark options.

To hit the promised December launch date, they only have another week at this point anyhow.  :)

I guess they figure since they already have two Spark enabled phones out now, they can wait until their current stock of S4 is sold off. I can imagine how many they have out in the retail channel currently considering how popular the phone is.

I guess they figure since they already have two Spark enabled phones out now, they can wait until their current stock of S4 is sold off. I can imagine how many they have out in the retail channel currently considering how popular the phone is.

Perhaps they're waiting until after the 1st so that it would be easier to distinguish between them.

Perhaps they're waiting until after the 1st so that it would be easier to distinguish between them.

It's *very* possible and that's what I am afraid of, but hope rides on the news release that indicated they were targeting before that point.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-debuts-samsung-galaxy-s-4-with-the-benefit-of-sprint-spark.htm

Taking what they said literally, the news release was 12-10-13 and the statement was:

"Sprint expects to begin delivery of Samsung Galaxy S4 (16GB) with the addition of Sprint Spark™ (enhanced LTE) to its sales channels in the next few weeks."

10+21=31 = Dec 31st, but it doesn't make any sense to me to release a phone like this on New Year's Eve.  I don't see the marketing tie-in and benefit unless they think they can get (and KEEP -see below) that Christmas gift cash with the obsolete 720 instead of the new 720T.

The fact that there is very little fanfare could help those paying close attention.  That may get them eventual early unmolested access to the 720T before the "rest of the world" wakes up and realizes that they are finally in the pipeline and mainstream demand picks up.

I think it's also potentially a huge a mistake to hold them back through the entire holiday.  It should generate a HUGE number of returns of 720's for people swapping to a 720T as low / late information people realize that they were screwed out of a better phone by the holiday marketing choices and Sprint has a reputation for doing boneheaded things like that which anger customers.

$25 a month for a phone with a new version coming in a few months???? 

I think sammy might wait on the s5 till may or june for sprint... I want the s5 but my evo lte is fading fast! dont wanna waste an upgrade maybe n5 till s5 comes out and then give it to the wife????

It's *very* possible and that's what I am afraid of, but hope rides on the news release that indicated they were targeting before that point.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-debuts-samsung-galaxy-s-4-with-the-benefit-of-sprint-spark.htm

Taking what they said literally, the news release was 12-10-13 and the statement was:

"Sprint expects to begin delivery of Samsung Galaxy S4 (16GB) with the addition of Sprint Spark™ (enhanced LTE) to its sales channels in the next few weeks."

10+21=31 = Dec 31st, but it doesn't make any sense to me to release a phone like this on New Year's Eve.  I don't see the marketing tie-in and benefit unless they think they can get (and KEEP -see below) that Christmas gift cash with the obsolete 720 instead of the new 720T.

The fact that there is very little fanfare could help those paying close attention.  That may get them eventual early unmolested access to the 720T before the "rest of the world" wakes up and realizes that they are finally in the pipeline and mainstream demand picks up.

I think it's also potentially a huge a mistake to hold them back through the entire holiday.  It should generate a HUGE number of returns of 720's for people swapping to a 720T as low / late information people realize that they were screwed out of a better phone by the holiday marketing choices and Sprint has a reputation for doing boneheaded things like that which anger customers.

It is not going to be sold on Dec 31st.  If anything phone releases are on a Friday so 1/3/14 would be a more likely release date.  If not it could be on 1/10/14.  I don't think Sprint made a promise that the GS4 triband phone will be released in 2013.

I think sprint is going to try to capture the mid range customers with this device when the s5 is released. I'm sure this device will still be selling like crazy even when the s5 is released

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sprint has publicly stated that there will be six spark devices in 2013.

LG G2, LG Google Nexus 5, HTC one max, Samsung mega 6.3, Samsung galaxy s4 mini and of course the s4t. It will come out either this month or December.

Sent from my Google Nexus 5

It is not going to be sold on Dec 31st. If anything phone releases are on a Friday so 1/3/14 would be a more likely release date. If not it could be on 1/10/14. I don't think Sprint made a promise that the GS4 triband phone will be released in 2013.

They did say 6. Not the s4t necessarily.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

They did say 6. Not the s4t necessarily.

Well the only other triband LTE device in the pipeline that has been FCC approved is the LG G Flex which Sprint has not made a public announcement yet.  I think the LG G Flex won't come out until early 2014 or until ATT/Tmobile announce that they are going to release it.  The next triband LTE device has to the GS4 triband.  If they don't release the GS4 triband soon then people will just wait for the GS5 if they want a Samsung LTE phone.

Well the only other triband LTE device in the pipeline that has been FCC approved is the LG G Flex which Sprint has not made a public announcement yet. I think the LG G Flex won't come out until early 2014 or until ATT/Tmobile announce that they are going to release it. The next triband LTE device has to the GS4 triband. If they don't release the GS4 triband soon then people will just wait for the GS5 if they want a Samsung LTE phone.

Oh I agree it will be the s4t. But people were so sure it was gonna be released b4 Xmas. And how they stated 6 spark phones will be released by year end. I'm just saying I'm not surprised it's not 6 like I been saying since early Nov.

Oh I agree it will be the s4t. But people were so sure it was gonna be released b4 Xmas. And how they stated 6 spark phones will be released by year end. I'm just saying I'm not surprised it's not 6 like I been saying since early Nov.

Yeah I see what you mean.  Like I said if its not released this Friday, 12/27 then it won't be released in 2013.  Look for Friday phone releases in early 2014 since it doesn't make sense for carriers to release phones during mid week since people don't have time during the day to upgrade their phones.

Yeah I see what you mean.  Like I said if its not released this Friday, 12/27 then it won't be released in 2013.  Look for Friday phone releases in early 2014 since it doesn't make sense for carriers to release phones during mid week since people don't have time during the day to upgrade their phones.

I'm completely confused now.  That report doesn't synch to anything I had heard so far.

...of course, the more I think about it, since when does any company connected with the cellular communication industry do anything that makes sense or follows a stable / predictable schedule?

How long does an upgrade process take for a smart phone?

What is involved and why does it take so long that it influences choice of a day of the week for a release?

If the delay in upgrade is phone-to-phone data transfer, can I do it myself?

While there may be a spike, not everyone buys on release day (if they can even find out what that day actually is <grin>) - so even that doesn't make sense.

Friday is still a business day -so what makes Friday any more special than any other business day if the consideration is the consumer's time schedule?  You have the same business day commitments on a Friday that you do the rest of the week.

As for release date, my conversation yielded that they occurred (at Sprint brick and mortar company stores) mid-week and mid-month as a rule of thumb.  Generally second or third Wednesdays as I recall but that was not a slam-dunk guarantee.

Some reports are that they will simply "fade in" and replace the -720 with no fanfare and no notice.  Maybe the delivery I was told is for the regular stock order arrivals.

What is the likely date if they follow a regular non-new phone stock delivery schedule instead of a "new product" release schedule?

How does that change dates around?  Also, do they ship to stores and vendors via UPS and FedEx?  Could the FedUPS holiday problems affect the movement of products?

Friday is still a business day -so what makes Friday any more special than any other business day if the consideration is the consumer's time schedule?  You have the same business day commitments on a Friday that you do the rest of the week.

Whoa calm down there with all the questions.  Friday is more special than the rest of the other days of the week since people don't have time during the weekday to upgrade phones.  If you ask anyone who works at Verizon, sprint, Tmobile and AT&T and they will all tell you that sales reach their peak during the weekends (Fri-Sun).  Also if you have heard the saying "the trend is your friend" you will see that all the flagship 2013 smartphones have ALL been released on a Friday except for Galaxy S4 which is on a Saturday:  iPhone 5C/5S = 9/20, Note 3 = 10/4, LG G2 and Nexus 5 = 11/8, HTC One Max = 11/15, HTC One = 4/19, Galaxy S4 = 4/27 which is a Sat but close enough.

The information I got tonight was that obsolete inventory appears to be too high to warrant clearance sales yet.  They want to sell as many of those as possible at as high a price as possible before the other is released.  The 720T actually showed up in the database for a short time and was then removed.  Some sort of memo was disseminated that said it was in a delay.

Expect nothing to happen until the stock on hand of the old S4 is reduced enough that they're comfortable with a clearance sale on the balance.  When you see the S4 go on sale, that will be the hint that they are getting closer to a S4T release.

The release date is now driven PURELY by sales of the obsolete units in stock and will be on a continuing review basis.  New stock that they have on hand is being hidden from the sales staff to prevent them from advising customers about availability of the coming alternative.

Sit back and relax.  We're back in wait mode again.  Figure two to SIX!! weeks (and potentially even longer) depending on the pace of sales and accounting's desire to turn a profit on an obsolete device.

Bad news is that it allows more people to become aware of the S4T and makes it tougher to get one at release.