Sprint Carrier Update Hack (for iPhone 5 Only)

kory108

Shouldn't TMO's network automatically do this?

Nope. PCS W-CDMA deployment is still spotty.

AJ

The vague claim that these guys are making for both EV-DO Rev B and W-CDMA Release 9 version hacks, namely that "the device itself becomes more open to an increased amount of bandwidth thus allowing for better throughput of data and data connection," is not founded on the actual workings of the airlinks in question.  And they provide no technical documentation to substantiate it.  Plus, I have seen the Joe guy on Twitter, and he comes across as an insufferable blowhard.

AJ

• Like 2

What about this?

"The hack is said to enable Release 9 DC-HSPA+ on the iPhone 5, opening the device to an increased amount of bandwidth for better throughput of data even though T-Mobile has not upgraded its network to support Release 9. The coders claim their hack bumps up HSPA+ speeds by 3 Mbps to 8 Mbps on the downlink. According to Brown, T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is capable of Release 8 downlink speed of 42 Mbps and Release 6 speed of 5.76 Mbps on the uplink."

Read more: T-Mobile iPhone 5 users get faster HSPA+ speeds via hacked software - FierceBroadbandWireless http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/t-mobile-iphone-5-users-get-faster-hspa-speeds-hacked-software/2013-05-13#ixzz2VRpFcos1 

Subscribe at FierceBroadbandWireless

What does that have to do with LTE and EVDO?

• Like 1

What about this?

"The hack is said to enable Release 9 DC-HSPA+ on the iPhone 5, opening the device to an increased amount of bandwidth for better throughput of data even though T-Mobile has not upgraded its network to support Release 9. The coders claim their hack bumps up HSPA+ speeds by 3 Mbps to 8 Mbps on the downlink. According to Brown, T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is capable of Release 8 downlink speed of 42 Mbps and Release 6 speed of 5.76 Mbps on the uplink."

Read more: T-Mobile iPhone 5 users get faster HSPA+ speeds via hacked software - FierceBroadbandWireless http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/t-mobile-iphone-5-users-get-faster-hspa-speeds-hacked-software/2013-05-13#ixzz2VRpFcos1

Subscribe at FierceBroadbandWireless

What does that have to do with LTE and EVDO?

It doesn't but this was very similar to the Sprint .ipcc hack so I thought I'd tag along.

It doesn't but this was very similar to the Sprint .ipcc hack so I thought I'd tag along.

It is the same pair of guys who are releasing these "hacks" for iPhone 5 on various operators around the world.

AJ

I love how the TmoNews article uses speed tests that are several hours apart, including one at 6pm compared to one at 12am.  Hmm...

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/05/hacked-t-mobile-carrier-update-boosts-speed-for-iphone-5-1900mhz-refarmed-users/

I posted this once already today, but it warrants being posted again in this case:  correlation ≠ causation.

AJ

• Like 1

The iTweakiOS guys are idiots.

The Joe guy looks like a punk kid just seeking attention.

AJ

• Like 1

Just to wrap this up I tried installing this last night. I had another iPhone 5 next to me that I didn't install the hack so speed comparisons could be performed.

In the end it didn't appear to make a bit of difference; speeds were still hovering between 12 kbps and 35 kbps down. Sad day.

Just to wrap this up I tried installing this last night. I had another iPhone 5 next to me that I didn't install the hack so speed comparisons could be performed.

In the end it didn't appear to make a bit of difference; speeds were still hovering between 12 kbps and 35 kbps down. Sad day.

We could have saved you some time.

So the consensus is that it isn't worth trying this update? No changes in download or upload speeds detected thus far?

Um.. Did you read this thread? Thus far? How about never?

Sent from my little Note2

And Brian, thankfully, puts this non issue to bed. Anyone want to set the over/under on these so called "hackers"? Sophomore, junior, or senior. High school, of course.

AJ

• Like 1

If you want to see something funny yet delusional, read the Joe guy's Twitter feed.  Based on anecdotal evidence, he is convinced that he is still right about his hack.  Not to mention, he believes that AnandTech and other tech outlets are waging some Apple influenced conspiracy against him.

https://twitter.com/joe012594

AJ

• 2 weeks later...