Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

I briefly had LTE this morning.  Clinton Ave / Court Street.  It was gone before I do a speed check.

The signal in this area has totally sucked the last month.  Dropped calls all the time to the point where I use my office phone.  I have worked in this location for 3 years and never had this problem.  So something has been cooking around here.

Does accepted mean complete as in speed? Because my 3g Speeds Are The usual slow sprint crap. If this is the improved network I'm just going to cry. Lol

I am beginning to think that 3G accepted has some pretty ambiguous meanings to be honest. I've seen 3G accepted sites deliver better speeds and faster pings what what looks like next to no new equipment, unless they are cabinets or something I couldn't see, and I've also seen them with new equipment giving obviously better speeds, and I've further seen them basically seem like they've had no work done at all and basically behave the same as before they were accepted.

I don't think what you are seeing is anything that's finished with network vision if you're still getting bad speeds, because most of what I've seen that's actually done is actually pretty incredible.

More or less, I think whatever work is done on all the towers that are 3G accepted is a mixed bag in terms of what the users get out of it. If there has been work done on it in order for it to qualify for acceptance and the speeds are still crappy, it is likely there is a bottleneck somewhere that is still holding back performance. We can't forget that Sprint is overhauling nearly every single thing on the majority of these towers, so the OEM's probably take it in bite sized pieces for the sake of simplicity.

I do know that whenever the bottleneck you are experiencing, whatever component it may be, is alleviated, the speeds coming from the "real" network vision sites are nothing to scoff at.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

Does accepted mean complete as in speed? Because my 3g Speeds Are The usual slow sprint crap. If this is the improved network I'm just going to cry. Lol

most likely just using the old T1 lines till the new fiber is installed at the site. So until then you will still have slow speeds

Speed of 3g could improve with 3g accepted but when ur gonna see a big improvment is when 4g lte is accepted bein everyone with. 4g phone will b off the network.. plus more data speed through them.

I turned on LTE yesterday and connected in Cananadigua. Specifically at the intersection of 332 and 5 & 20. Unfortunately I was driving so I couldn't run a speed test, but I've got Sensorly on my phone now so hopefully I can upload soon.

I turned on LTE yesterday and connected in Cananadigua. Specifically at the intersection of 332 and 5 & 20. Unfortunately I was driving so I couldn't run a speed test, but I've got Sensorly on my phone now so hopefully I can upload soon.

Looks like Rochester had 4 LTE updates between this weekend and Monday. Looks like you found 1

They did the downtown tower which covers very little (I noticed), the uptown tower is up much higher, I am hoping they get the 4G LTE on the tower uptown Canandiagua VERY SOON, I live near it (very close)!!! I am guessing this one is not ready just yet. 

I was told this morning that all but 2 locations (Greece) have been updated. "Rip and Replace" is complete, 11 locations broadcasting LTE, final adjustments to optimize service are still under way.

I can only assume that the only thing holding the Rochester market back from going 100% live with LTE is backhaul. 

• Like 2

>>>11 locations broadcasting LTE<<<

From what I see on Sensorly, there are only 3 transmitting near the city: North Chili, Irondequoit, Henrietta.  Maybe they were briefly turned on elsewhere?

1 mile west of the airport I have yet to see LTE.

My dropped calls have drastically decreased over the last 2 weeks.

Maybe we'll all get LTE for Christmas :-)

>>>11 locations broadcasting LTE<<<

From what I see on Sensorly, there are only 3 transmitting near the city: North Chili, Irondequoit, Henrietta.  Maybe they were briefly turned on elsewhere?

1 mile west of the airport I have yet to see LTE.

My dropped calls have drastically decreased over the last 2 weeks.

Maybe we'll all get LTE for Christmas :-)

You're correct, I have mapped most of the areas that are LTE because I drive through them frequently.

Brockport has LTE, north of the village mainly. The wife works in Hamlin, so I have to go out that way for stuff.

Greece, near Braddocks Bay has it.

And NE City/Irondequoit seems a bit quirky.

Sensorly takes a bit of time to update.

So I got LTE for approximately 2 seconds driving through Spencerport last night. I'm wondering now, what is the coverage range of these towers? Looking at sensorly and my own experiences, there is only a tiny area covered by each tower and all the NV sites couldn't possibly overlap enough to cover the county well. Or will the effective ranges grow as the network develops?

So I got LTE for approximately 2 seconds driving through Spencerport last night. I'm wondering now, what is the coverage range of these towers? Looking at sensorly and my own experiences, there is only a tiny area covered by each tower and all the NV sites couldn't possibly overlap enough to cover the county well. Or will the effective ranges grow as the network develops?

The range of each tower is not particularly far because of the propagation characteristics of the 1900 PCS spectrum that Sprint is currently deploying it's LTE on. However, the fully completed network vision sites have the ability to have their downtilt remotely adjusted. Basically, as the LTE is rolled out, the sites will be adjusted with a very low downtilt in order to push LTE out as far as possible. As other sites nearby come online, they will remotely adjust the surrounding sites so that the coverage is seamless, and load will be taken off the towers close to one another, leading to faster speeds.

Other developments to increase range include the deployment of LTE on the 800 band, which I don't believe has gained much momentum at all yet, especially not in Rochester, but is definitely planned and will happen. That band has much better propagation characteristics than does the PCS band, and if you own a device or upgrade to one in the future that supports this band, LTE coverage will undoubtedly be one of the best of all carriers for you with Sprint. It's the fact they WILL be deploying LTE 800 on the majority of their sites with tower spacing intended for 1900.

The LTE 800 development however is still quite a bit down the road, you will be able to see better LTE coverage for now just as Sprint continues to bring more sites live and calibrates the downtilt to maximise coverage.

• Like 2

Other developments to increase range include the deployment of LTE on the 800 band, which I don't believe has gained much momentum at all yet, especially not in Rochester, but is definitely planned and will happen. That band has much better propagation characteristics than does the PCS band, and if you own a device or upgrade to one in the future that supports this band, LTE coverage will undoubtedly be one of the best of all carriers for you with Sprint. It's the fact they WILL be deploying LTE 800 on the majority of their sites with tower spacing intended for 1900.

The LTE 800 development however is still quite a bit down the road, you will be able to see better LTE coverage for now just as Sprint continues to bring more sites live and calibrates the downtilt to maximise coverage.

Will we see LTE800?  I thought there was an issue with being close to the border with canada (IBEZ or something like that).

• Like 1

if you are within 100 km of canada you will not see 800 anytime soon many years. As far as seeing lte if you see 3g you should see lte when its done. lte is more fragile but it is close.

I didn't think about that, I assumed that since lake ontario was between Rochester and Canada that we would not be in any kind of trouble regarding that. I could be wrong though, I just assumed it applied more to places that had a land border with Canada, I can't imagine any kind of cellular interference making its way across the lake and causing problems with Canadian radio. I could be wrong though, it's for the FCC and Canada to decide, not me haha.

I work in Victor, NY.  no LTE out here yet, but i have a question. The signal strength on Sprint at my place of work has always been poor. Data connection drops out all the time and cell calls are very choppy. I talked with a sprint rep online and I was assured that with the Network Vision being done in the area that I should expect to see stronger signals, and less Dropped calls. That was almost 4 months ago. Nothing has changed as of now. a few co workers on competitors networks have good strong signals in the same building. I was wondering if any of you would know if the towers in my area have even been worked on yet? it would seem if they have I should be seeing improvements by now? or maybe it is already as good as it will be?  i have been a loyal Spring customer since 2007.