Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

Evidently, telling the truth about an actual incident is a forum violation. Wow!

Eh, you have a history of trolling this thread, and you were suspended for that about a year ago.  So, your reputation is established.

S4GRU is not Sprint.  S4GRU does not host Sprint complaints.  And S4GRU members do not want to hear about your Sprint problems -- that no one here can fix.  Direct those concerns to Sprint customer service.

AJ

• Like 4

Recently t mobile has had 4g signal show up in bloomfield. Its looks as if they are expanding there coverage to some more rural spots now. Come on sprint get me some lte in Victor. You cant let t mobile out do you for coverage can you ?

I do not like T Mobile and would never ditch Sprint for them, but if there's one thing I hope it manages to accomplish it's putting a sense of urgency on Sprint for expanding their LTE footprint. Hoping that if anything pushes Sprint to expand its LTE footprint to where I live, it'll probably be T Mobile getting coverage there first. It doesn't quite feel to me like Sprint is truly competitive with the duopoly footprint-wise yet, as both VZW and AT&T have had LTE where I live for a really long time. However, I feel like they don't even need to be, because I could never change to them either out of straight up pride, on top of refusal to have my wallet totally reamed.

Anyway, I'm going to be happy for T Mobile's progress out of hope it makes Sprint feel a sense of urgency to compete footprint-wise, safe in the knowledge that even with a slightly bigger LTE footprint, the rest of the T Mobile network sucks bad enough that people who understand the real benefits of Sprint aren't going to change.

I do not like T Mobile and would never ditch Sprint for them, but if there's one thing I hope it manages to accomplish it's putting a sense of urgency on Sprint for expanding their LTE footprint. Hoping that if anything pushes Sprint to expand its LTE footprint to where I live, it'll probably be T Mobile getting coverage there first. It doesn't quite feel to me like Sprint is truly competitive with the duopoly footprint-wise yet, as both VZW and AT&T have had LTE where I live for a really long time. However, I feel like they don't even need to be, because I could never change to them either out of straight up pride, on top of refusal to have my wallet totally reamed.

Anyway, I'm going to be happy for T Mobile's progress out of hope it makes Sprint feel a sense of urgency to compete footprint-wise, safe in the knowledge that even with a slightly bigger LTE footprint, the rest of the T Mobile network sucks bad enough that people who understand the real benefits of Sprint aren't going to change.

yeah thats what i meant by my post. I have no plans on leaving Sprint However, I am disappointed by the LTE coverage in my area. There 3g is way better than years past. it just seems as if Sprint is in no hurry to expand LTE coverage outside of the  Rochester area. as for T mobile. I know from other people that have there service that they are way worse than Sprint for coverage and signal. I fully agree with the wallet comment too. i cant switch to ATT or Verizon for that very reason. Also I never want to monitor my data usage so I dont go over my limit. 

Edited by artimis72
  • Like 1

Well today was good, except the TWC outage for 4 hours in the Rochester, Buffalo (and some of Syracuse area), glad Sprint doesn't have TWC as the data vendor or else I would not of been able to use my phone when the Internet went out at the places I went to and WIFI wasn't working. I guess a lot of the North East was affected today who had TWC. (it affected Internet and TV). Sprint is always working when I need it!! 

Well today was good, except the TWC outage for 4 hours in the Rochester, Buffalo (and some of Syracuse area), glad Sprint doesn't have TWC as the data vendor or else I would not of been able to use my phone when the Internet went out at the places I went to and WIFI wasn't working. I guess a lot of the North East was affected today who had TWC. (it affected Internet and TV). Sprint is always working when I need it!!

I have TWC, I'm just south of Rochester but I think mine runs out of Batavia, no issues with cable, Internet, or Sprint today.

No new Spark sites yet, no new 800 yet either, I was all over this Holiday season and nothing new since the last map updates, darn!! Come on Rochester we had one of the fastest 3G NV completions, and 4G LTE and now it feels like we are dragging lol 

No new Spark sites yet, no new 800 yet either, I was all over this Holiday season and nothing new since the last map updates, darn!! Come on Rochester we had one of the fastest 3G NV completions, and 4G LTE and now it feels like we are dragging lol

The band 41 is pretty kick-ass when you can find it though, to give credit where it's due.

I was actually in the other side of the state this weekend, over towards the Amsterdam-Schenectady area and the active band 26 over there is actually amazing. Being able to hold an LTE signal inside is Sprint's biggest weakness right now, and as soon as they can deploy band 26 in Rochester it's actually going to make a huge difference.

• Like 1

The band 41 is pretty kick-ass when you can find it though, to give credit where it's due.

I was actually in the other side of the state this weekend, over towards the Amsterdam-Schenectady area and the active band 26 over there is actually amazing. Being able to hold an LTE signal inside is Sprint's biggest weakness right now, and as soon as they can deploy band 26 in Rochester it's actually going to make a huge difference.

Yea I know, there are lots of towers that have band 41 Spark active in Rochester but they are on certain ones, just seems like we have been at a stand still for a while lol

Yeah, I think our quick rollout of spark in lots of areas had to do with Rochester having had an active wimax network though. So some older but faster backhaul was probably already in place at clear sites. We are miles ahead of where we could be, though! And damn fast in lots of places now too.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think our quick rollout of spark in lots of areas had to do with Rochester having had an active wimax network though. So some older but faster backhaul was probably already in place at clear sites. We are miles ahead of where we could be, though! And damn fast in lots of places now too.

I agree we were fortunate to have really good Wimax network in Rochester, and Syracuse did too, I was surprised Buffalo out off all places being the biggest city outside NYC in NY state didnt have a Wimax network, they had 2 protection sites I think. 

B26 would help out a lot!! Its just too bad Sprint didnt convert all the Nextel sites where Sprint towers/antennas werent near by and increase the footprint, think I saw one in the Upstate/Syracuse market that was a Iden conversion. I am sure there will be more, but money could be an issue and the old Nextel sites are not a priority (they must not be because a good 90% of them still have Nextel antennas on them). 

B26 would help out a lot!! Its just too bad Sprint didnt convert all the Nextel sites where Sprint towers/antennas werent near by and increase the footprint, think I saw one in the Upstate/Syracuse market that was a Iden conversion. I am sure there will be more, but money could be an issue and the old Nextel sites are not a priority (they must not be because a good 90% of them still have Nextel antennas on them). 

The iden conversion is next to the fairgrounds along I690 and the lake, all four antenna's point at the fairgrounds. It made a huge difference at the state fair this year for usable data. I'm not sure how many other nextel sites are sitting unused, but I would love to see more of them converted. Even just unique clearwire wimax sites would make a big difference.

• Like 1

The iden conversion is next to the fairgrounds along I690 and the lake, all four antenna's point at the fairgrounds. It made a huge difference at the state fair this year for usable data. I'm not sure how many other nextel sites are sitting unused, but I would love to see more of them converted. Even just unique clearwire wimax sites would make a big difference.

Thats the one I was thinking of, your right. Well there are lots of unused sites I can think of lol. I dont think theres been much new activity for anything since November. Probably because of the Holidays.

Does anyone know how to interpret SignalCheck Pro data with LTE?

On SignalCheck Pro, I have an LTE signal. It is showing me a very low signal (around -111 to -120) and the phone shows one bar. If I get a phone call it changes to 1xRTT with the message "telephone call incoming" and the signal jumps up (-81 to -90). The phone also shows a stronger signal (3-4 bars). After the call is over the signal drops down again.  

What is going on here? Does the phone latch onto a weak LTE signal and hold that until it needs to receive a phone call?  Is it switching towers at that point or is this just how SignalCheck Pro shows the data?  

Thanks

Does anyone know how to interpret SignalCheck Pro data with LTE?

On SignalCheck Pro, I have an LTE signal. It is showing me a very low signal (around -111 to -120) and the phone shows one bar. If I get a phone call it changes to 1xRTT with the message "telephone call incoming" and the signal jumps up (-81 to -90). The phone also shows a stronger signal (3-4 bars). After the call is over the signal drops down again.

What is going on here? Does the phone latch onto a weak LTE signal and hold that until it needs to receive a phone call? Is it switching towers at that point or is this just how SignalCheck Pro shows the data?

Thanks

While connected to LTE on a Spark device, the phone doesn't use CDMA at all. Period. When a call is incoming, the network relays this info to your phone which then disconnects from the LTE network to the CDMA network to connect the phone call. CDMA also has superior propagation to LTE, so -95 on CDMA gets a LOT further than -105 on LTE.

• Like 1

While connected to LTE on a Spark device, the phone doesn't use CDMA at all. Period. When a call is incoming, the network relays this info to your phone which then disconnects from the LTE network to the CDMA network to connect the phone call. CDMA also has superior propagation to LTE, so -95 on CDMA gets a LOT further than -105 on LTE.

Ok...thanks.  So now it makes sense why it's LTE OR CDMA...it really is switching signals. 

Ok...thanks. So now it makes sense why it's LTE OR CDMA...it really is switching signals.

That is exactly right, Sprint has for the most part transitioned to single radio devices. Verizon is doing the same with their VoLTE rollout. SV-LTE dual radio devices are becoming a thing of the past.