Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

Activity is well under way in the Rochester market from vendors Samsung and Alcatel/Lucent.  GMO sites are being worked on in the south of the market by Alcatel Lucent.  Samsung recently started work in the Rochester area on full build sites.  I am creating this thread as a placeholder for our members to discuss Sprint Network Vision deployment in the Rochester market.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have some connections to some information and alls I can say (because I can not say what I DO know exactly) is that ive been told the Rochester markets HAS to have a good 90% of its market have a complete over haul of its towers, Syracuse is gonna be online before Rochester or Buffalo. (Robert can correct me if I am worng).

All of the sites in the Rochester market will be completely overhauled. Only the GMO sites in the bottom of the market by Alcatel Lucent are getting moderate upgrades. But this is not a problem, it's a good thing.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Rochester native chiming in.  I was in Philly the other day and am spending the week in Raleigh now.  I was also in Ft. Lauderdale months ago right after they went live.  Visiting other cities with amazing LTE speeds makes heading home really depressing.

Honestly, I'd be happy with upgraded 3G speeds in Rochester.  However, I'll soon be on my second post WiMax LTE phone with no LTE in my hometown.  I'll be excited to see progress on new sites.

All of the sites in the Rochester market will be completely overhauled. Only the GMO sites in the bottom of the market by Alcatel Lucent are getting moderate upgrades. But this is not a problem, it's a good thing.

I see this as good and bad news.  Complete overhauls of the current sites should result in a more dramatic improvement.  The "bad" is that sounds like it will be even longer before we are online with NV & LTE.

I see this as good and bad news.  Complete overhauls of the current sites should result in a more dramatic improvement.  The "bad" is that sounds like it will be even longer before we are online with NV & LTE.

Most of the country is getting what are called "full build" sites.  So nothing unusual going on in the Rochester market.  Which is a complete overhaul of the entire site.  All new hardware and new fiber optic lines up the towers.  This is a very good thing and very necessary.  It will bring Sprint into the position of the best quality network and better ability to handle future upgrades quicl and easily.  Besides, non-full build sites (GMO sites) will be the last sites to get LTE.  So really, it's just all good news.

Robert

• Like 1

Most of the country is getting what are called "full build" sites.  So nothing unusual going on in the Rochester market.  Which is a complete overhaul of the entire site.  All new hardware and new fiber optic lines up the towers.  This is a very good thing and very necessary.  It will bring Sprint into the position of the best quality network and better ability to handle future upgrades quicl and easily.  Besides, non-full build sites (GMO sites) will be the last sites to get LTE.  So really, it's just all good news.

Robert

Thank you Robert.  That sounds a little more promising. 

It will be even more promising once we see actual results  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

???

are you referring to a start of a build or something more?  ;)

Our dear friend Robert has posted the new acceptance reports. Roc-City is on the list! The location is crap but the good news is that they have ACTUALLY started working here!

The post just says Rochester. Is that Rochester MN or NY?

Rochester Minnesota is in the Minnesota market. Rochester NY is in the Rochester market.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Rochester - 14 updates (3G)

That's right, 14! Looks like I'm taking a ride out to Sodus today to see what I can see.

Or depending on where you are in the city, you could head west towards Batavia. We've been getting a bunch of acceptances lately too, except they're not in the immediate Buffalo metro area.

I just took a look at the map today and nearly crapped my pants  B) looks like Samsung has arrived in the Rochester market finally, we've got a bit of work done! I'm so excited, can't wait to see some work around me :)

• Like 1

Or depending on where you are in the city, you could head west towards Batavia. We've been getting a bunch of acceptances lately too, except they're not in the immediate Buffalo metro area.

I was in Batavia on Saturday. I did a speed test and on 3G I was getting over 2M down and around 1.5M up.  Pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Greece/Webster... Batavia is a bit of a hike. We do have several large accounts in Buffalo though, might be worth the drive to give them a solid, personal update.

One site near my home is shown as 3G complete. The site is in the middle of the north east quadrant of the Rochester market.  The site does not have the new antennas. Does that mean it is a GMO? If so, then "All of the sites in the Rochester market will be completely overhauled" does not sound like an accurate statement. 

(EDIT: I just read the GMO article.  Does being GMO and 3G complete mean that there will be a second round of work on the site at some point to install the new antennas?)

Sprint made it sound like we were to expect better coverage in weak signal areas. At least in reference to the tower in question, the coverage is no better and may, in fact, be slightly worse.  On this tower and on the one directly to the west, I have been getting dropped calls for the last few days when I had never ever had dropped calls on them before.

I was really hoping for more than what I'm seeing so far.

One site near my home is shown as 3G complete. The site is in the middle of the north east quadrant of the Rochester market. The site does not have the new antennas. Does that mean it is a GMO? If so, then "All of the sites in the Rochester market will be completely overhauled" does not sound like an accurate statement.

(EDIT: I just read the GMO article. Does being GMO and 3G complete mean that there will be a second round of work on the site at some point to install the new antennas?)

Sprint made it sound like we were to expect better coverage in weak signal areas. At least in reference to the tower in question, the coverage is no better and may, in fact, be slightly worse. On this tower and on the one directly to the west, I have been getting dropped calls for the last few days when I had never ever had dropped calls on them before.

I was really hoping for more than what I'm seeing so far.

It does sound like the site you're referring to is a GMO site. My statement of all the sites in the Rochester market are getting overhauled was not explained clearly, and that is my error.

When I say they are all being overhauled, it means they all ate getting upgrades. Even the GMO sites are being completely upgraded except for the antennas, everything else is being replaced. And also, GMO sites will be converted to full build sites, they just will be the very last sites to do so. So, yes, all the sites in the Rochester market are being overhauled and receiving Network Vision improvements.

As for better signals, there will be no improvement at GMO sites. Full build sites will get slightly better signals through new RRU's installed up next to the antennas, and majorly better through 800MHz CDMA and eventually LTE deployments. GMO sites will not have better signals until they receive their full build upgrades in the future.

Dropped calls are unfortunately going to become more common during Network Vision, especially on Samsung equipment. If you cross a seam between new Samsung NV equipment and legacy equipment, your chances of being dropped increase. If you are near a seam, you can be dropped without moving. Additionally, drops can occur even when solidly on a new NV site. Over time, they will make the adjustments that will make the network even better than it was before. And as more sites get converted, the better the experience will become.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta