Network Vision/LTE - Winston/Salem Market (including Greensboro)

S4GRU

Digi how long does it take a phone to detect a LTE signal?  I went to a known tower and was darn near out of its range before my phones (Note 2 and iPhone 5) switched over.  I decided to pick up a vehicle mount for my Note after nearly driving off of the road looking for towers, lol.

For those phones, generally between 5 and 10 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less. Depends on what the phone's scan timer is set to. If it's at the end of the cycle, you'll connect pretty quickly. If it just ran the cycle before you hit LTE, you could be waiting a while. 

For those phones, generally between 5 and 10 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less. Depends on what the phone's scan timer is set to. If it's at the end of the cycle, you'll connect pretty quickly. If it just ran the cycle before you hit LTE, you could be waiting a while. 

Thanks! Wow that long? I suppose that would be to preserve the battery but if it's connected to an external power source it wouldn't matter.  Is that value editable?

Seems odd for them to come into a store with all the connections they have with internal sprint systems. I don't even need to go into a store to activate a phone.

Yea we thought it was pretty odd as well.  However we welcomed the information.  

Thanks! Wow that long? I suppose that would be to preserve the battery but if it's connected to an external power source it wouldn't matter.  Is that value editable?

Toggling the data connection via a NFC tag is initiating a new scan...

I got 4G LTE on I-40 near Thomasville Clemmonsville Rd Exit in Winston-Salem. Was seriously excited. I didn't know the buildout was underway for this market.

Ran sensorly.

I hope these aren't "test towers."

I live in Greensboro. Can't wait for some tower work to begin here!

Many thanks to this site for all the helpful information.

• Like 1

I mapped my LTE signal today along Peacehaven today.  For some reason it has the same Servicing Cell as (424) as the Robinhood/Olivet Church Rd tower.  Anyone know the range of LTE?

dit.png

43r.png

Also mapped some on the other end of Country Club near South Fork Elem.  I was also using the LTE Discovery app and it was toggling my data connection so that map has some gaps in it. 

Edited by johnnygn2
  • Like 1

You should run the discovery app in cycle when not connected to LTE or at least don't run in always cycle to prevent the gaps.

How close are those two sites? The same serving cell shouldn't be reused unless it is physically impossible for a device to see both sites at the same time. There are too many combinations really to not do this. Now they could have screwed up... And the crews have never done that. Cough cough.. The site by my house with the mixed up RRUs.

You should run the discovery app in cycle when not connected to LTE or at least don't run in always cycle to prevent the gaps.

How close are those two sites? The same serving cell shouldn't be reused unless it is physically impossible for a device to see both sites at the same time. There are too many combinations really to not do this. Now they could have screwed up... And the crews have never done that. Cough cough.. The site by my house with the mixed up RRUs.

At least 5 miles...

Correction: I measured with Google Maps and it's 3 miles

Edited by johnnygn2

At least 5 miles...

Correction: I measured with Google Maps and it's 3 miles

3 is not a stretch by any means. Totally depends on the site.

Now you see the importance of serving cells. As you quickly figured out it is from the same site and didn't waste time posting that you found LTE again when it is the same site.

3 is not a stretch by any means. Totally depends on the site.

Now you see the importance of serving cells. As you quickly figured out it is from the same site and didn't waste time posting that you found LTE again when it is the same site.

Traveling from point A to point D in a straight line.......If point A is the serving cell and the rsrp is -94....point B -99.... point C -105 how can point D be -98 if connected to the same serving cell?  I see towers at point D but it has the same serving cell # as point A

Traveling from point A to point D in a straight line.......If point A is the serving cell and the rsrp is -94....point B -99.... point C -105 how can point D be -98 if connected to the same serving cell?  I see towers at point D but it has the same serving cell # as point A

could have to do with the terrain and buildings in the area  

5422 Robinhood Rd

Winston Salem, NC 27106

The towers (424) are located behind the church

Yep all that purple in that area easily belongs to that one site especially with the RF beast of a Note2.  I can snag sites 5-6 miles with ease.  My record is just shy of 10 miles.  I drug another one purple line down highway for 8 miles.  I thought something was wrong with my phone until I pulled over at 7 miles away to do a speedtest to verify the connection was working still.

• Like 1

My LTE is unstable, only working in certain areas of the house. Its fast, i have had faster speeds but the Speed Test app seems to not store them. A trick that usually triggers the phone to get LTE is by enabling airplane mode and disabling it after 10 seconds. I live off Kernersville Road, if that helps.

post-22347-0-98441100-1374043745_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am seeing LTE along the merge for Business 85 and I 85 and looking today I see on I40 and I85 where they meet I840.

Yea there is a tower that you can view pretty easily from 840 when you merge onto I40/I85.  For some reason I am having trouble running anything under 4G on that tower though.  I stopped my car and got out to scan for it.  I had 4G locked with full signal and when I run a Speedtest it switches straight back to 3G.  Can anyone tell me why that is? 

Looks like someone picked up a LTE signal near S Main St.  Is Kernersville about to get some love?

I went to Jamestown after seeing a single spot.  Found it and tried to ride it to see how big the area was but from what I could tell it is a very small area of main street less than a mile.

• Like 3