lilotimz

How to Spot Sprint Antennas and RRUs (Alcatel-Lucent)

Dual path diplexers used to cut down on the number of feeders up the pole.

So are the 800 RRUs just not delivered yet?

So are the 800 RRUs just not delivered yet?

They looked hooked up and if they have 800mhz labels on them then you probably have 800mhz RRUs somewhere.

• Like 1

I went out for some field work today and took some pictures.  Can you tell me what are on each of these towers? LTE?

20130930_172142_zps67d57ecb.jpg

20130930_171130_zps29aec86b.jpg

20130930_170353_zps36956da3.jpg

This site looks to be potentially a comounted Sprint Clearwire Site which I have seen on rooftop installs but not as a monopole. it could be that the Clearwire gear is connected via Microwave with other sites. 

I went out for some field work today and took some pictures.  Can you tell me what are on each of these towers? LTE?

20130930_170353_zps36956da3.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, that site is a comounted sprint clearwire site.

Out of curiosity, anyone know which carrier is using the old Panasonic RRUs in PA? They only use one per sector with a tall Powerwave antenna and 3 other small antennas without RRUs.

I have a few questions about ——-----------, that I'm hoping someone with expertise here can answer.

This site was formerly owned by AT&T, located behind the Harrisburg PA UPS Hub in Steelton/Swatara Township. It is currently owned by Crown Castle and is used by AT&T and Sprint. I live on the South side of this tower by about 0.5 nautical miles. I work on the North side of this tower by about 0.25 nautical miles. This site is NV accepted and operating. Recently within the last 3 weeks or so, I noticed my signal at home is abysmal. I called Sprint to inquire. The first call I made, I was told there was no problem. After another week, I called again. Someone with a little more knowledge of how to use their diagnostic tools was able to dig deeper and found that one of the south facing arrays was down for a data speed upgrade. This explains why I am having trouble receiving both 3G and LTE from this site at home.

Some of the GCI's I have received from this site are: 0FE05101, 0FE05102, 0FE05103, 0FE0510A, 0FE0510B all on Band 25. This site is not currently transmitting on Band 26. Are the A and B suffixes second carriers?

My most pressing question is: by the pictures I have posted here, can someone please tell me which equipment belongs to Sprint and which equipment belongs to AT&T?

I'm trying to educate myself on just what exactly I am looking at when I see this tower. I'm trying to gain knowledge. I would be most appreciative for any and all information, S4GRU members are willing to share. My thanks!

SH00PA928_1.jpg

• Like 1

I have a few questions about ——-----------, that I'm hoping someone with expertise here can answer.

This site was formerly owned by AT&T, located behind the Harrisburg PA UPS Hub in Steelton/Swatara Township. It is currently owned by Crown Castle and is used by AT&T and Sprint. I live on the South side of this tower by about 0.5 nautical miles. I work on the North side of this tower by about 0.25 nautical miles. This site is NV accepted and operating. Recently within the last 3 weeks or so, I noticed my signal at home is abysmal. I called Sprint to inquire. The first call I made, I was told there was no problem. After another week, I called again. Someone with a little more knowledge of how to use their diagnostic tools was able to dig deeper and found that one of the south facing arrays was down for a data speed upgrade. This explains why I am having trouble receiving both 3G and LTE from this site at home.

Some of the GCI's I have received from this site are: 0FE05101, 0FE05102, 0FE05103, 0FE0510A, 0FE0510B all on Band 25. This site is not currently transmitting on Band 26. Are the A and B suffixes second carriers?

My most pressing question is: by the pictures I have posted here, can someone please tell me which equipment belongs to Sprint and which equipment belongs to AT&T?

I'm trying to educate myself on just what exactly I am looking at when I see this tower. I'm trying to gain knowledge. I would be most appreciative for any and all information, S4GRU members are willing to share. My thanks!

The last two digits of the GCI tell you the sector number for carrier you are connected to.  01, 02, 03 are different sectors of the Carrier with the ID of 0FE051.  Sectors 0A and 0B are different sectors, and connected to a different B25 carrier at the same site.

I am not able to identify any of the equipment with the resolution of your photo.  Too small for these middle aged eyes to see.

Robert

The last two digits of the GCI tell you the sector number for carrier you are connected to.  01, 02, 03 are different sectors of the Carrier with the ID of 0FE051.  Sectors 0A and 0B are different sectors, and connected to a different B25 carrier at the same site.

I am not able to identify any of the equipment with the resolution of your photo.  Too small for these middle aged eyes to see.

Robert

Robert, Thanks much for the explanation.  My photo is horrible after I compressed it to fit here.  It looks amazing in 13MP native format.  I'm going to have to try and upload a better image.

I did have some of the equipment on that tower explained to me in person, by a Shentel Field Engineer  who I have been working closely with over the last few days.  I must say I am AMAZED at how responsive and helpful Shentel is!!!!!!  They defintiely want their network to be number one!

I may have some good things to share with S4GRU shortly. 

• Like 4

I visited a site that has been in progress for nearly 2 years.  They finally installed the antennas today.  Why a 4 antenna sector?  Also, the antenna's looks different.

Imgur Album:  http://imgur.com/a/1zT6F#0

QL941eC.jpg

• Like 1

I visited a site that has been in progress for nearly 2 years. They finally installed the antennas today. Why a 4 antenna sector? Also, the antenna's looks different.

Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/1zT6F#0

QL941eC.jpg

A high capacity setup with a ton of narrow beamwidth antennas so each antenna covers a smaller area. So less people are on each cell and capacity is increased.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Four sector sites are becoming more common as capacity needs grow.

• Like 1

690912f99f45c75a8d0c922118b9aafa.jpg

4b8296af7db4df8e19bdf77be79c7e97.jpg

8f9937930f6edf0649eb5bb316c60fec.jpg

Is sprint on the top? And whose on the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Sprint is on top. Don't know who's on bottom

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Yes Sprint is on top. Don't know who's on bottom

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

What type of panels are those? 8T8R?

What type of panels are those? 8T8R?

The left side is your original network vision dual-band antenna with two RRUs. On the right is the 8T8R B41 antenna with a single RRU.

The left side is your original network vision dual-band antennas with two RRUs. On the right is the 8T8R B41 antenna with a single RRU.

Will they swap the NV Dual-Band antennas with 8T8R which does all LTE bands right? 25/26/41

My guess for the bottom is AT&T. But that's just a guess. It looks kinda like some of their Ericsson configurations I've seen lately.
  • Like 1

Will they swap the NV Dual-Band antennas with 8T8R which does all LTE bands right? 25/26/41

8t8r tx band 41 LTE only. The NV handle bands 25, 26 and the correlating CDMA band classes.

• Like 1

Post above beat me to it, but no. 8T8R antennas are not tri-band. They only do B41. No B25/B26 or CDMA.

Tri-band antennas do exist, but they are *only* used in space or engineering restricted areas where only one antenna per sector is possible (like stealth sites).

• Like 1