Motorola X Users Thread!

ericdabbs

From my understanding, (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) moto did a samsung "big-little"esque configuration to the SOC, where the main part is run the S4 pro, but Moto has dedicated and custom chip(s) for the sensors and the moto enhanced features. So the core android is handled by the S4, but everything else that makes the X special is handled by the custom part of the SOC. That alone will make every update lag behind (hopefully not by much), it's even launching with 4.2.2. That speaks volumes to me.

No, that isn't how they reached 8X. 2 CPU cores, 4 GPU cores, 1 Natural Language Processor and 1 other chip that I can't recall.

It's definitely not recording anything, but will be hard to explain that to consumers. I believe for now this feature is not enabled by default.

Two common weaknesses noted in most reviews of the GS4 and HTC One are weak battery life and extremely large size. Customers who are bothered by these would do well to consider the Moto X. Especially if they like the stock Android UI.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

Got to play with a Moto X today. Really quite a nice device. Impressive build quality.

Active Display seems extremely nice. While there are already apps out there to duplicate it more or less (leaning towards less), it is pretty brilliant. 

The always-on Google Now feature is something I actually want. It's fast, works well (just like regular Google Now), and it shaves off a few steps from those Google searches. I understand it's not possible on other devices due to the "listening" being done by one of the low-power cores. 

Beyond that, I agree with what others have said. No Tri-Band, $200 price tag, I'd rather not.

• Like 1

Two common weaknesses noted in most reviews of the GS4 and HTC One are weak battery life...

I was initially concerned about that, as the EVO LTE has processor, baseband, and Wi-Fi all on one chipset, while the HTC One uses three separate chipsets.  But battery life has been fine.  Unless you are one of those people who can practically never put your handset down -- hey, check yourself before you wreck yourself -- you will easily make it through the day on a single charge.

AJ

AJ, what is the deal with you and folks who use their phones a lot? Why do you keep on making these ridiculous backhanded comments? Aren't we all here as friends who share common interests?

Did some guy beat you up as a kid with his smartphone?

Got to play with a Moto X today. Really quite a nice device. Impressive build quality.

Active Display seems extremely nice. While there are already apps out there to duplicate it more or less (leaning towards less), it is pretty brilliant.

The always-on Google Now feature is something I actually want. It's fast, works well (just like regular Google Now), and it shaves off a few steps from those Google searches. I understand it's not possible on other devices due to the "listening" being done by one of the low-power cores.

Beyond that, I agree with what others have said. No Tri-Band, $200 price tag, I'd rather not.

The one feature I'd like to have is that Active Display. Seems really nice. I'm used to turning my phone on & off periodically tho... Lol. That and I can barely see the LED on my silver One. Were you playing with the Sprint version?

I was initially concerned about that, as the EVO LTE has processor, baseband, and Wi-Fi all on one chipset, while the HTC One uses three separate chipsets. But battery life has been fine. Unless you are one of those people who can practically never put your handset down -- hey, check yourself before you wreck yourself -- you will easily make it through the day on a single charge.

AJ

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

The one feature I'd like to have is that Active Display. Seems really nice. I'm used to turning my phone on & off periodically tho... Lol. That and I can barely see the LED on my silver One. Were you playing with the Sprint version?

That's the thing, once the notification pops up, when "onscreen", you can grab it and flick up to unlock the phone and launch that app as if you had clicked the notification as normal. It's really quite ingenious. And yes, I was playing with the Sprint version. Unsure if it was any different from other versions.

AJ, what is the deal with you and folks who use their phones a lot? Why do you keep on making these ridiculous backhanded comments? Aren't we all here as friends who share common interests?

Oh, don't mind AJ. He can be a bit of a curmudgeon, but that's only because he feels that, for example, the "spectrum crunch" is caused by things like streaming media solely for vapid entertainment purposes... and not for any legitimate-seeming reason. He'd rather only those that need smartphones have them, and... some days, I'm kinda with him on that.

That's the thing, once the notification pops up, when "onscreen", you can grab it and flick up to unlock the phone and launch that app as if you had clicked the notification as normal. It's really quite ingenious. And yes, I was playing with the Sprint version. Unsure if it was any different from other versions.

Oh, don't mind AJ. He can be a bit of a curmudgeon, but that's only because he feels that, for example, the "spectrum crunch" is caused by things like streaming media solely for vapid entertainment purposes... and not for any legitimate-seeming reason. He'd rather only those that need smartphones have them, and... some days, I'm kinda with him on that.

Who else but AJ?  :P

http://youtu.be/poDaaGbgops

AJ has a peculiar way of wording his opinions and facts. Learn to live with it cause he's pretty damn smart.

Also your last question wasn't needed. If you don't like his comments, don't reply in the same manner. Treat others how you wanna be treated, right?

Regardless, I'm interested in the Active Display, it sounds really nice. Kind of reminds me of some of the Nokia N9 (I think?) features.

-Luis

• Like 2

AJ has a peculiar way of wording his opinions and facts. Learn to live with it cause he's pretty damn smart.

Also your last question wasn't needed. If you don't like his comments, don't reply in the same manner. Treat others how you wanna be treated, right?

Regardless, I'm interested in the Active Display, it sounds really nice. Kind of reminds me of some of the Nokia N9 (I think?) features.

-Luis

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

• Like 1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

oh wow thanks. I installed it on my nexus 7, I wanna see how I works on an LCD panel.

-Luis

oh wow thanks. I installed it on my nexus 7, I wanna see how I works on an LCD panel.

-Luis

You end up losing some of the benefit when you use a LCD panel, assuming the notifications are white text with black backgrounds.

Well, I must have missed the evolution of this thread while I was traveling over the past few days.

Yes, I can be a bit prickly at times.  Robert calls me a "direct communicator" -- that is probably an apt description.  I tell the truth.  I tell it like I see it.  And I will not apologize for that.  But I do apologize if I hurt feelings in a few of my posts.  I can be too blunt sometimes.

As for a "spectrum crunch," it is mostly manufactured, though there is some truth to it.  Imagine if gas were not an issue so that we all went around cruising and joyriding in our cars every waking hour.  Roads and highways would be clogged by trivial transit.  Much smartphone usage follows the same model.

AJ

• Like 4

AJ, you don't know me, but I remember you from HoFo.  You were one of the few posters that I respected there and one of the few who knew what he was talking about.  I miss your contribution, but then again that place has become an echo chamber for fanboys.  And by the way I agree with you on cellphone usage.  I teach teenagers and nothing annoys me more than people who cannot look away from their phones, as if the world would end otherwise; well that and sagging pants, but I suppose I'm just getting older.  As to the Moto X, I so wish that Moto was not a Google company.  I wish they were making different devices, because I don't use Android, but I always prefer Moto phones to any other manufacturer. 

Without people who are crazy about smartphones, there would not be this forum nor the contributions. I normally pay for forums that I have much interest in. I hope to contribute financially soon... but all this taking down from people who have no clue about other members is not appreciated. BTW, I am a 38 yo professional... not a punk with pulled down worn jeans.

I am a direct person too and was an admin/creator for a large car forum. But not every post of mine is a direct insult of all my members and the very reason for them being there!

Edited by Thai

The LED on my note 2 is so brought that it's annoying at times. It blinks blue, green, white and all kinds of colors.... Most of the time I have no idea why it is blinking. So yeah I can see the usefulness of the active display.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Did the Sprint version have any branding on the back?

Without people who are crazy about smartphones, there would not be this forum nor the contributions. I normally pay for forums that I have much interest in. I hope to contribute financially soon... but all this taking down from people who have no clue about other members is not appreciated. BTW, I am a 38 yo professional... not a punk with pulled down worn jeans.

I am a direct person too and was an admin/creator for a large car forum. But not every post of mine is a direct insult of all my members and the very reason for them being there!

I, um. Look. You're on the internet, dealing with the general public. If you're taking personal offence to something someone on the internet says, especially when not even directed at you, the problem is actually between you and yourself. Nobody's talking down being crazy about smartphones, and I don't think anyone here actually cares if you're a "punk" or a "professional". What's talked down is overuse (and some would say abuse) of shared wireless resources for purely entertainment-related purposes, which has caused the "spectrum crunch", as it is called.

Did the Sprint version have any branding on the back?

I did not get much of a chance to look at it for long, but I did not see any Sprint logos on the device at all; I actually had to ask the rep if it was the Sprint version I was looking at.
  • Like 1

I, um. Look. You're on the internet, dealing with the general public. If you're taking personal offence to something someone on the internet says, especially when not even directed at you, the problem is actually between you and yourself. Nobody's talking down being crazy about smartphones, and I don't think anyone here actually cares if you're a "punk" or a "professional". What's talked down is overuse (and some would say abuse) of shared wireless resources for purely entertainment-related purposes, which has caused the "spectrum crunch", as it is called.

If something on the Internet offends you, you're going to have a bad time. 

• Like 2

If something on the Internet offends you, you're going to have a bad time.

Yep, but if you don't like it you can go on the Internet and complain about it. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Yep, but if you don't like it you can go on the Internet and complain about it. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Ugh, sad but true. The Internet is slowly becoming just a place for people to complain.

I did not get much of a chance to look at it for long, but I did not see any Sprint logos on the device at all; I actually had to ask the rep if it was the Sprint version I was looking at. 

koiulpoi, i am not one bit offended.  I have been on forums for a long time...as noted above, i created (and ran) the biggest 4runner forum on the net for over a decade!  However, being repeatedly told how nonsensical it is to use your phone on a PHONE forum that deals with how FAST connections are is kinda weird, isn't it?  I can't imagine telling my 4runner forum members how idiotic it is to take the 4runner off-road!  Why alienate the very crowd that makes up your forum by putting down their passion (and the reason why the forum was created in the first place)?  Not sure about everyone else, but i am here because i like my phone (and Sprint) and want to get the most up to date info on everything Sprint stuff.

Sprint network plan is unlimited, right?  I have never used more than 1GB/month...not even close b/w me and my wife!  But, do i blame someone if they do?  No.  It is their right and well within Sprint's contract...as long as they do it legally.  I am sure that this UNLIMITED feature is why some of us are on Sprint in the first place.  Now, if a person hotspots ILLEGALLY, then yeah, get rid of him/her!  But, is that something that is done here?  Or is that Sprint's responsibility?  Are the admins and mods here part of Sprint?  Do they act as mommies to spank the hand of those who do?  OR is this a forum for enthusiast?

So, no, i don't care about spectrum crunch or whatever it is called.  It is SPRINT's responsibility to manage their network and to improve upon it.  THAT is why i pay them every month...and why i still stay with them!  If people legally causes spectrum crunch, then it is SPRINT'S fault, no one else!  Trying to "manage" this legal activity here is pretty damn silly IMHO.

Most people here want to see phone and Sprint related stuff being posted (and they do!)...not a mommy to tell them how silly it is to use their phone.  Don't you agree?

• Like 1

As for a "spectrum crunch," it is mostly manufactured, though there is some truth to it.  Imagine if gas were not an issue so that we all went around cruising and joyriding in our cars every waking hour.  Roads and highways would be clogged by trivial transit.  Much smartphone usage follows the same model.

AJ

BTW, i miss this part.  Is gas prices an issue?  Yes.  Is it ever going to be a non-issue?  No.  This analogy is wrong.  Now, if gasoline was like Sprint, whereby one pays a monthly fee and you get unlimited gas, then yeah, your analogy is correct.  But the world does not work like that.  And like above, if one pays $100 for unlimited gas the whole month, then would i bitch & moan that some guy went joyriding (legally within parameters of contract) all night long?  No.  That would be silly.  If the company does not want that to happen, then don't freaking offer it in the first place!  Simple.  It is NOT my job to "police" other members of their activity...as long as it is legal.

Edited by Thai