Motorola X Users Thread!

ericdabbs

Looks like there is going to be a Motorola X phone coming later this year that is suppose to compete with the iPhones, Galaxy S, HTC One, LG Optimus series.  Hopefully it goes to all carriers and is slated for 2H 2013 release.  What this also means is that if it does come to Sprint, it will most likely be a tri-band LTE phone *woo hoo*.  Not that I would buy a Motorola product this time around due to my bias toward the lack of support on the Photon 4G but I am be happy to see more competition in the smartphone space.

If Motorola improves on how they treat their software updates, I may come back to Motorola in the future but certainly not in 2013.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/05/29/moto-x-confirmed/

http://allthingsd.com/20130529/moto-x-coming-out-by-october-and-its-all-about-sensors-and-will-be-built-in-texas/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/29/motorola-chief-mentions-moto-x/

No tri-band, no sale. I'm still pissed off at Motorola for the way that they abandoned the original Photon anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 3

No tri-band, no sale. I'm still pissed off at Motorola for the way that they abandoned the original Photon anyway.

Don't get me started.  I am still livid about the abandoned ICS project on the Photon.  Since its slated to be released in 2H 2013, it should have tri-band LTE so I am not so worried about that.  I think Sprint knows the importance of needing to begin releasing tri-band LTE phones on its flagship products.

• Like 3

Not to mention the poor radio performance they threw into the Photon Q. Definitely not the Motorola king of RF I grew up with.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 5

Not to mention the poor radio performance they threw into the Photon Q. Definitely not the Motorola king of RF I grew up with.

Sent from my little Note2

I never looked up the RF performance of the Photon Q, but that explains some things. My wife's Photon Q seems to break up and get poor than expected reception in locations where it should perform well. I thought it might be defective unit and told her to take it in to the Sprint store, but as per usual she hasn't listened to me. 

Anyone else excited that it is "Assembled in USA"?

I am not sure how many people on this forum are aware where the items they purchase are made - it's a big deal for me.

Yeah I just read that it's going to be made in Texas and that is indeed a big deal. I do try to buy products that are made in the USA whenever possible; unfortunately with consumer electronics it's not usually possible. I suppose when they decide to release the second generation with tri-band support, I'll have to seriously consider them again.

Anyone else excited that it is "Assembled in USA"?

I am not sure how many people on this forum are aware where the items they purchase are made - it's a big deal for me.

The comments regarding this made me LOL! They said it was basically Mexico since it's in Texas, I thought it was funny. If it doesn't affect cost I think it's a great thing, unfortunately American made products tend to be really expensive because of all of our workplace regulations that later translate into higher product prices. Ce la vie in 'Murica.

All in all, I think this is great for Moto, I think they have some of the best designed phones (aside from my HTC bias), they just need to work on the screen and provide a killer camera.

-Luis

I never looked up the RF performance of the Photon Q, but that explains some things. My wife's Photon Q seems to break up and get poor than expected reception in locations where it should perform well. I thought it might be defective unit and told her to take it in to the Sprint store, but as per usual she hasn't listened to me. 

Yeah I just read that it's going to be made in Texas and that is indeed a big deal. I do try to buy products that are made in the USA whenever possible; unfortunately with consumer electronics it's not usually possible. I suppose when they decide to release the second generation with tri-band support, I'll have to seriously consider them again.

I don't know the numbers off hand but after seeing the poor numbers on the Note2 and then actually seeing the crazy real world performance of it, I don't pay attention to those numbers at all anymore.

If it's tri-band, I'd probably pick one up. But it would depend on what other tri-band devices are out on the market around that time. I will not buy another device on contract or full retail price until tri-band phones are on the market. Although, at the rate Charlie Ergen is going, we may only need dual band.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I do not care where a phone is made as long as it is good quality and cost. If the United States cannot deliver that, then we need to up our game or be content with the trade. Not everything needs to be made in America; we should support a free market (mostly).

I do not care where a phone is made as long as it is good quality and cost. If the United States cannot deliver that, then we need to up our game or be content with the trade. Not everything needs to be made in America; we should support a free market (mostly).

I think you can support free markets and the ability to have the choice to purchase something made in America. I don't see these as contradictory philosophies.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Yes, free trade, producing to comparative advantage, all good. All parts will be made overseas, but it is designed and built in the hands of USA workers. I think this is a huge step In the right direction considering it must have been a cost to benefit analysis checked move by Motorola in the first place. Id like to see others follow suit if the move bodes well for them.

• Like 3

I always prefer a choice.  I educate myself on the options and pick the option that best fits my needs.

It's a complex discussion.

For the most part, the biggest issue with products made in USA isn't the cost/quality, it's finding that they exist.

For example, I recently went on a hunt for measuring cups - it's hard to find a set made in USA, but I found them (cost was roughly the same for a set made elsewhere).

• Like 5

Not everything needs to be made in America

Not everything needs to be made in China either...

we should support a free market (mostly).

"We" should? Call me crazy, but all things being relatively equal, I'd rather support American workers.

"We" should? Call me crazy, but all things being relatively equal, I'd rather support American workers.

It is the ultimate example of free markets when the consumer has a choice to decide where they prefer to purchase their goods from. If an individual consumer wants to purchase products Made in America, then that's great! :tu:

I used to laugh at my grandparents for their exclusionary Made in America consumption. Now, I see things differently as I get older. I see that my consumption has helped people stay gainfully employed overseas. As factories and people have been laid off here. As a result, we don't even have a choice to purchase items made here in many product categories.

I applaud Motorola for attempting to make a phone in the U.S. If they can make a high quality phone for a competitive price, I can see it being a success. If I have a choice of two equal products, but one is Made in America, I will definitely support the American made product.

And in no terms would I not want someone who prefers a foreign made object to lose their choice, either. American companies and workers need to compete. And this example from Motorola is a free market competition. It's too bad Apple didn't try this. Something I've asked for a long time.

• Like 4

While Apple's mobile devices are still made overseas, they have begun to start assembling some iMacs in the USA. Supposedly the Mac Pro line will move some or all production to the USA at some point too.

• Like 3

While Apple's mobile devices are still made overseas, they have begun to start assembling some iMacs in the USA. Supposedly the Mac Pro line will move some or all production to the USA at some point too.

I applaud Apple and Motorola for moving assembly lines back to the US. We need more products built here in the USA. Maybe some other major devices will start being built here too.

• Like 3

If any new iPhone is heralded as the Jesus Phone, does that make a highly anticipated Google phone the Satan Phone? Just asking...

:devilangel:

If any new iPhone is heralded as the Jesus Phone, does that make a highly anticipated Google phone the Satan Phone? Just asking...

:devilangel:

I'm so tired of this crazy idea that the iPhone is the 'Jesus Phone'. First, the iPhone is a very selfish phone, hence the 'i' in its name, and Jesus was very anti-selfish! So people using said term are calling Jesus selfish. And second, if Google flops on the Xphone like Moto did on the Photon and the Photon Q, then they are just another stupid company so riddled with corporate greed that they would line their pockets at consumers expense of being dumb enough to buy a phone based on the brand. Of course, this applies to Apple, Samsung, and HTC (who have all released bad products) so ill just stop right there.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My only worry about this phone is the supposedly under-spec of the hardware.  This is supposedly the mid-level phone in some articles?  720 screen.  S4 Pro or worst processor.  4.3-4.5 screen.

I don't mind the smaller screen...I kinda like it.  But, Android ain't the most efficient OS around...it needs lots of horsepower to make things run smoothly!  No matter the amount of smoothing done by Motorola, the upcoming features (4.2.2 notoriously run bad on low spec phones) of future software updates will kill this low-end processor!  Apple OS can be smoothly run on a low spec phone...Android is not that way.  And what about high-end GPU-intensive games (like Modern Combat or Real Racing)?  These games will make this X phone into a butt joke!

I hope that I am wrong...because I always like Motorola for their cell signal.

My only worry about this phone is the supposedly under-spec of the hardware.  This is supposedly the mid-level phone in some articles?  720 screen.  S4 Pro or worst processor.  4.3-4.5 screen.

I don't mind the smaller screen...I kinda like it.  But, Android ain't the most efficient OS around...it needs lots of horsepower to make things run smoothly!  No matter the amount of smoothing done by Motorola, the upcoming features (4.2.2 notoriously run bad on low spec phones) of future software updates will kill this low-end processor!  Apple OS can be smoothly run on a low spec phone...Android is not that way.  And what about high-end GPU-intensive games (like Modern Combat or Real Racing)?  These games will make this X phone into a butt joke!

I hope that I am wrong...because I always like Motorola for their cell signal.

It will be a standard qualcomm quad core S4 Pro - what the clockspeed is (likely 1.7GHz, like the HTC One) doesn't really matter.

The display quality is more important to me vs. resolution.  Granted the HTC One has the quality and resolution that really sets the bar... so 720p is pretty outdated at this point.

I think how the phone performs overall will really be the deciding factor here.  Not just specs.

Link: http://androidandme.com/2013/07/opinions/4-reasons-why-the-moto-x-will-live-up-to-the-hype/

" There are actually going to be eight different “cores” making the Moto X a contextually aware information powerhouse. 

They break down like this:

• Four processors cores are dedicated to graphics. By taking this route, you’re going to see Android running smoother than ever before. Paired with stock Android, this thing is going to fly in the graphics department.
  • Two processors cores are dedicated to applications. Let the graphics processors focus on graphics, while two 1.7 GHz processors focus on apps.
  • One processor will be dedicated to language processing. The low-power language chip will focus on audio sensors, noise cancellation and speech recognition. This will allow the Moto X to use an always-on listening mode, but still retain sufficient battery life.
  • One processor will be dedicated to other contextual sensors. During his interview at All Things D11, Dennis Woodside said the Moto X would “anticipate” what you want to do with your phone. Hold it up like you’re going to take a picture, your camera will turn on. That’s what this processor is for."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand this.  It is Qualcomm S4 PRO processor...what is the deal with 8 cores??  It sounds like a Samsung Exynos 5 Octa copy or something.  Anyone with more knowledge comment on this???

• Like 1