I've searched the forums a bit but was not able to find an answer to this..

A little backstory.. I was advised by a sprint rep to leave my S3's preferred network mode on LTE / CDMA so I can get an LTE signal once it's live in our area. Everything was working great until recently, I've been having random issues connecting to data. SMS, and calls were flawless. So I called up sprint and they did their refreshes and whatnot to no avail. Got to tier two and they recommended that I go to Settings > Wireless and networks > Network mode and turn the network mode to CDMA only.

The rep advised me that I'll still get LTE with this setting once it's live in my area. She also advised me that engineers will send out a SMS letting us know when LTE is live. Can anyone confirm these please? I'm stoked to get LTE and I don't want to miss the launch.

Based on the timing of the permits, I'm guessing (total stab in the dark here) the connection problems I've had recently could have something to do with tower upgrades around me, which makes me excited :clap: :clap:

A little backstory.. I was advised by a sprint rep to leave my S3's preferred network mode on LTE / CDMA so I can get an LTE signal once it's live in our area. Everything was working great until recently, I've been having random issues connecting to data. SMS, and calls were flawless. So I called up sprint and they did their refreshes and whatnot to no avail. Got to tier two and they recommended that I go to Settings > Wireless and networks > Network mode and turn the network mode to CDMA only.

The rep advised me that I'll still get LTE with this setting once it's live in my area. She also advised me that engineers will send out a SMS letting us know when LTE is live. Can anyone confirm these please? I'm stoked to get LTE and I don't want to miss the launch.

Based on the timing of the permits, I'm guessing (total stab in the dark here) the connection problems I've had recently could have something to do with tower upgrades around me, which makes me excited :clap: :clap:

you won't be able to get an LTE signal unless its on CDMA/LTE mode, you will only get 3G. For being live they will send a message when they are about to launch a market but will not inform you of when every tower is accepted and complete.The best place to look is the NV completed list here.. s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/517-nv-sites-complete/

AFAIK setting it to CDMA-only only disables the LTE scan, and the phone should only disable EV-DO when connected to LTE. As such, you cannot get LTE without the setting on LTE. Sounds like the rep you spoke to was new, or a fool.

This may seem simple, but, in the S3's dropdown menu, one of the options is "Mobile Data", make sure it's enabled. I've done it too.

Keep it on lte/cdma the tech was full of shit. The text issue is a known issue when they switch on 800 3g. Ive seen plenty of people in the south bend area with this issue including myself and it all started with the 800 3g clusters being turned on in my area.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

you won't be able to get an LTE signal unless its on CDMA/LTE mode, you will only get 3G

That's what I thought... Thanks for the confirmation.

I'll be subbing to that thread today, I've been keeping a close eye on everything else so far :)

Thanks!

AFAIK setting it to CDMA-only only disables the LTE scan, and the phone should only disable EV-DO when connected to LTE. As such, you cannot get LTE without the setting on LTE. Sounds like the rep you spoke to was new, or a fool.

This may seem simple, but, in the S3's dropdown menu, one of the options is "Mobile Data", make sure it's enabled. I've done it too.

hmmm... I like to see my thoughts confirmed :D

I will point out though, I have not had the problem since. Also, the code 600 connection error they had no documentation on disappeared, as did the "invalid username and password" message box.

lol that was on thing I did check.. though I rarely turn it off, if ever.

Keep it on lte/cdma the tech was full of shit. The text issue is a known issue when they switch on 800 3g. Ive seen plenty of people in the south bend area with this issue including myself and it all started with the 800 3g clusters being turned on in my area.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Makes sense, I've been seeing way better 3g speeds all around me.

Lol, reminds me of a rep at a Sprint store that told me something off the wall, when I first got my S3 last Nov. He told me to keep it in CDMA, due to not having LTE in many areas. I asked why is that? He says, "leaving it in LTE/CDMA mode will damage some internal parts in your phone." After I was done talking, I walked out SMH.

• Like 3

@marv - I've heard some bullshipoopoo in my day but that's terrible!!

Tell me about it! I wonder how many other people he told that to?! Since LTE being live in many areas now, I wonder if he's telling customers to do the opposite for CDMA ("leaving it in CDMA mode will damage some internal parts in your phone.") lol!!!

Maybe it's a conspiracy to make sure users use less mobile data across nv sites haha

As a corporate store rep, I can confirm this is not the case.  Some of us care and learn our jobs to the best of our ability.  Some do not.

• Like 1

Maybe it's a conspiracy to make sure users use less mobile data across nv sites haha

I can assure you that's not the case and would be stupid on top of it all.

A faster connection means less congestion as the users are getting their information faster. If you do the same thing on 3G and 4G, the 4G will be more efficient, and thus better for not only you but the entire network as a whole.

The issues come in with users wanting to do more since they can do it faster. That then adds to the overall network load. There is no advantage of keeping users on the 3G network however when 4G is available, none at all.

During the First two NV phases in Lansing, I was changing into CDMA only all the time.  My only guess is that LTE signals were being tested and my phone would get just a glimpse and drop out of 3G, but never lock onto LTE.

I can tell you that when the wimax 4g was live in my area, it was at least a month before I got and email telling me so. It may have been far longer, but at least a month. I set my phone to cdma only because of data problems. If you use this forum or know others waiting for let, you'll know when its on

I can tell you that when the wimax 4g was live in my area, it was at least a month before I got and email telling me so. It may have been far longer, but at least a month. I set my phone to cdma only because of data problems. If you use this forum or know others waiting for let, you'll know when its on

sweet.. I'll keep it on LTE/CDMA unless the data issues return.. & I'll keep cruising around here, like normal :)

Preach

I was almost certain the rep's answer was BS. Made no sense.

Folks, you need to learn that, under the current system, sales and customer service positions are almost entirely entry level suckage jobs.  That has not always been the case, but it certainly is the case now, as "Walmart" consumers have come to expect very low prices and cost cutting capitalists have come to expect egregious profits.  Few in those entry level suckage jobs have the education, training, or wherewithal to share accurate info instead of corporate propaganda or even wishful thinking.

If you have a problem with that, then start educating yourself before making decisions and stop supporting the current system that basically serves to prop up asshat capitalists. 

AJ

Folks, you need to learn that, under the current system, sales and customer service positions are almost entirely entry level suckage jobs.  That has not always been the case, but it certainly is the case now, as "Walmart" consumers have come to expect very low prices and cost cutting capitalists have come to expect egregious profits.  Few in those entry level suckage jobs have the education, training, or wherewithal to share accurate info instead of corporate propaganda or even wishful thinking.

If you have a problem with that, then start educating yourself before making decisions and stop supporting the current system that basically serves to prop up asshat capitalists. 

AJ

In addition, retail reps are there for sales and are paid commission. You ever wonder why some places are now advertising the fact their salesmen aren't paid on commission? It's because that means they are more likely to truly help you instead of just pushing a sale, or at least that's what many consumers believe, and from my experience seems to be true more often than not.

Officially they are there to help customers with issues as well, but that isn't the main reason they are there. They are there to sell, it's retail. If you aren't buying anything, many will view you as wasting their time, time that could be better used selling something to someone and making them money. Not all reps are like this, many truly will help and give accurate info. However, those aren't the reps you will hear about, and those aren't the ones that will stick in your mind. Only the liars and pushy salesmen will stay in your mind because you didn't like it. Sales quotas have increased almost exponentially in the last several years. I started as a sales rep before switching to the tech side about 3 years ago so I've seen the changes happen over time.

Welcome to corporate retail sales in America. Low training in a technical field because sales employee turnover is extremely high. Mostly high turnover caused by high sales quotas, high training costs, shareholders only caring about raw quarterly profit, and the fact that many consumers view retail employees as vermin beneath them.

This is why I'm looking forward to the SoftBank purchase. The Japanese believe in long term gains over short term profit, essentially the opposite of Wall Street. They would rather invest in a long term outcome with greater profit overall than a short term gain. Wall Street shareholders want the highest profit possible in the shortest time, regardless of the negatives that come with it, they have no empathy, they essentially are psychopaths.

• Like 4

I've definitely experienced the "customers treat you as vermin" situation. There are people across all spectrums.

Which, it's kind of amazing how badly some reps are treated, and how badly some do at their job. I love my job; I get to help solve issues, help teach people, help fix things. When someone's day is made brighter by actually dealing with me, it brightens my week. I've found that, if you lack a genuine care and concern for other people (whether they be your customers or otherwise), you'll never have that experience.

Now, I'd probably be better off in some other industry...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

AJ

I don't ever go into the stores except to touch a phone before i buy.  As far as capitalists go..that's what this country is built on...if you don't like a company's business practices there is always an alternative....