Network Vision/LTE - Dakotas Market (including Fargo, Grand Forks, Alexandria MN)

mozamcrew

It's not on the Nextel map

I well then I wonder if the antennas and RRUs are for ATT (I think the bottom rack is VZ) Tmo is all EDGE here so I don't think it's them.

I well then I wonder if the antennas and RRUs are for ATT (I think the bottom rack is VZ) Tmo is all EDGE here so I don't think it's them.

It may also be a new Sprint site.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I just switched back to Sprint in May after several years on other networks. I did so because I was told LTE was just around the corner...and had seen the April announcement. So far, I have regretted nearly every day. Needless to say I am glad to hear there is actual progress being made, but I still find myself skeptical. Part of me thinks it might be worth the extra $20/mo to use another network and get usable data even if it is limited. Mostly I hope it will be worth the wait.

I just switched back to Sprint in May after several years on other networks. I did so because I was told LTE was just around the corner...and had seen the April announcement. So far, I have regretted nearly every day. Needless to say I am glad to hear there is actual progress being made, but I still find myself skeptical. Part of me thinks it might be worth the extra $20/mo to use another network and get usable data even if it is limited. Mostly I hope it will be worth the wait.

The work was done out by Jamestown and Valley city. Sprint has yet to do any NV Upgrades on any of its Fargo towers.

I am seriously contemplating jumping to AT&T now since they announced yesterday Fargo will have their 4G LTE in place before the end of the year. Pretty sad... I am betting that AT&T will have it in place before Sprint. It will get too cold with the North Dakota snow and wind and become an occupational hazard for the tower techs or the ground will be too frozen to dig and put in the upgraded backhaul so the upgrades will be put off until Spring 2014. That's my guess what will happen.

The work was done out by Jamestown and Valley city. Sprint has yet to do any NV Upgrades on any of its Fargo towers.

I am seriously contemplating jumping to AT&T now since they announced yesterday Fargo will have their 4G LTE in place before the end of the year. Pretty sad... I am betting that AT&T will have it in place before Sprint. It will get too cold with the North Dakota snow and wind and become an occupational hazard for the tower techs or the ground will be too frozen to dig and put in the upgraded backhaul so the upgrades will be put off until Spring 2014. That's my guess what will happen.

I really hope the posts by mozamcrew are right and there is action happening in Fargo.  I've been checking the Sprint.com/lte site several times per week and noticed there have been some new "upgrades" hitting the map.  I'd like to see more than one per month, but your points about the weather are probably all too true.  If there was a way to get out without an ETF, I'd consider it, but my wife will probably kill me.  She was upset when we switched from AT&T and she had to get a new phone.  I don't understand her sometimes

I really hope the posts by mozamcrew are right and there is action happening in Fargo. I've been checking the Sprint.com/lte site several times per week and noticed there have been some new "upgrades" hitting the map. I'd like to see more than one per month, but your points about the weather are probably all too true. If there was a way to get out without an ETF, I'd consider it, but my wife will probably kill me. She was upset when we switched from AT&T and she had to get a new phone. I don't understand her sometimes

Me too. I would really like to stay on with my SERO plans and unlimited data but both the fiancee and I have to be on wifi at home or work to even get a reliable data connection/speed. I have done enough conplaining to Sprint customer care and retentions and told them this is the last straw. If we don't have reliable and somewhat speedy 3G after this 90 day window they gave us we are both dropping all our SERO plans (we're both former employees) and not paying an ETF which they seemed fine with.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I work in a hotel in Detroit Lakes (45mi east of Fargo) and checked in a crew working for Sprint/Comcast? (a cable company, anyway). I asked them if they were doing LTE/NV and they said that they had put up 20+ sites in the MSP area, and by Friday (tomorrow) they'd have upgraded the towers around me.

They had no word on the activation date, though. I'm not sure if it'll be turned on immediately, or if they're waiting to activate the entire market.

I work in a hotel in Detroit Lakes (45mi east of Fargo) and checked in a crew working for Sprint/Comcast? (a cable company, anyway). I asked them if they were doing LTE/NV and they said that they had put up 20+ sites in the MSP area, and by Friday (tomorrow) they'd have upgraded the towers around me.

They had no word on the activation date, though. I'm not sure if it'll be turned on immediately, or if they're waiting to activate the entire market.

When LTE is ready it will go live, they haven't been waiting for the entire market.

I've been told they need to work the upgrades in order advancing from the cities up I94 maybe HWY 10 towards Fargo. Looks like they are moving fairly slowly. I wouldn't be surprised if DL gets some NV & LTE turned on before Fargo, but the build out of Fargo should be completed before the lakes area.

Then again this is based off of info received from a rep at an authorized Sprint reseller....What happened to the actual Sprint Corp. Stores in this area anyway? I had Sprint 12yrs ago before I had even heard of Verizon and bought my top of the line tri-band, green screen, Samsung flip phone from a Corp store. Now, this town is over run by VZW and Sprint seems to be dying off. It's just plain sad.. sorry to get off topic.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I've been told they need to work the upgrades in order advancing from the cities up I94 maybe HWY 10 towards Fargo. Looks like they are moving fairly slowly. I wouldn't be surprised if DL gets some NV & LTE turned on before Fargo, but the build out of Fargo should be completed before the lakes area.

Then again this is based off of info received from a rep at an authorized Sprint reseller....What happened to the actual Sprint Corp. Stores in this area anyway? I had Sprint 12yrs ago before I had even heard of Verizon and bought my top of the line tri-band, green screen, Samsung flip phone from a Corp store. Now, this town is over run by VZW and Sprint seems to be dying off. It's just plain sad.. sorry to get off topic.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I doubt DL will be getting LTE... maybe the NV upgrades. I am originally from the area and the only providers for the backhaul would be Arvig or Century Link (Qwest) which are far from speedy and reliable. Comcast doesn't even come near the area (I think Minneapolis is the closest) so why they are there is beyond me... Anyways, I am guessing they are going to get the NV upgrades just like Jamestown/Valley City did then both groups of techs will converge in Fargo to tag team the Fargo area for NV and LTE. Just my thought process on it.

Regarding the authorized reseller, that happened in 09? I was the lead tech at the Sprint store at the Collondale mall on 45th/15th by Scheels. After I left, a lot of the reps were cut, paid severance by Sprint and All State Wireless out of the Fergus and Alexandria area bought out the corporate store in Fargo and DL. I think the closest corporate store is now in Waite Park unless they got bought out too. Sad... I had a lot of friends that worked there after I left and it sounds like it was a pretty sh***y experience for all of those involved. Sucks the tower techs I used to work with got cut too once Sprint licensed or sub-contracted out the work to Ericcson and Samsung so I have no ins any more as to whats going on in the area. 

Work is ongoing in the entire Dakotas market. Every site will be upgraded. LTE will be live on many sites long before the end of the year. The first site will likely be live before the first day of Fall.

Backhaul is the biggest challenge in this market. However, Samsung is the NV OEM for this market, and they are the most aggressive of them all.

• Like 2

Work is ongoing in the entire Dakotas market. Every site will be upgraded. LTE will be live on many sites long before the end of the year. The first site will likely be live before the first day of Fall. Backhaul is the biggest challenge in this market. However, Samsung is the NV OEM for this market, and they are the most aggressive of them all. Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

We keep hearing that over and over yet no results or progress is being made so I apologize if I am skeptical. Even after hearing that 4G was on its way, over and over from "higher ups" and on our bi/monthly regional and national tech calls while employed at Sprint in 08-09 and that never happened (besides the WiMax protection site at Concordia University in Moorhead which is far from usable outside of a few block range or for those who have moved on to LTE phones).

They have done work (guessing NV) according to the maps at 5 sites a ways outside of Fargo as shown on the 01AUG13 update, 3 weeks later when I drive by the towers closest to me on my way to work, there is no change in the tower arrays or racks. I will be checking out the other towers this weekend with my telephoto lens to see if there is progress at other sites. Again sorry if I sound harsh or jaded, but it's getting a little frustrating at this point not having a data connection I can use on my phone and continually being fed B.S. by Sprint Customer care since April.

We keep hearing that over and over yet no results or progress is being made so I apologize if I am skeptical. Even after hearing that 4G was on its way, over and over from "higher ups" and on our bi/monthly regional and national tech calls while employed at Sprint in 08-09 and that never happened (besides the WiMax protection site at Concordia University in Moorhead which is far from usable outside of a few block range or for those who have moved on to LTE phones).They have done work (guessing NV) according to the maps at 5 sites a ways outside of Fargo as shown on the 01AUG13 update, 3 weeks later when I drive by the towers closest to me on my way to work, there is no change in the tower arrays or racks. I will be checking out the other towers this weekend with my telephoto lens to see if there is progress at other sites. Again sorry if I sound harsh or jaded, but it's getting a little frustrating at this point not having a data connection I can use on my phone and continually being fed B.S. by Sprint Customer care since April.

I am not Sprint, nor Sprint customer care. I'd prefer if you didnt say what I've said is bullshit until something I tell you doesn't come to pass. We don't sell anything. We just give you real information. If you are so jaded about Sprint that you won't even take information from a proven third party, you probably should get another carrier.

Robert

• Like 4

Well that escalted quickly...

I didn't say what you said was bullshit. I said what Sprint customer care was feeding us was.

If I didn't appreciate the site and info, I wouldn't be here nor would I have donated to the site...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

So....... Still kinda wondering if anyone knows of any specific work being done, any towers being worked on in Grand Forks?

No idea. Nothing has been shown on the NV complete maps as done. That doesn't mean work isn't being performed. Best way to see is to take a look at the Samsung thread as to what to look for in terms of equipment then visit each tower site and see if anything looks familiar or if there are crews there working.

Well that escalted quickly... I didn't say what you said was bullshit. I said what Sprint customer care was feeding us was. If I didn't appreciate the site and info, I wouldn't be here nor would I have donated to the site... Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

In response to my comment, you said that you keep hearing that over and over. So you are basically saying my comment is not credible because you hear it over and over. So I did not make a leap to draw that conclusion.

Someone could come along and misinterpret your comments as if you believe S4GRU keeps giving bad information over and over. We are all unpaid volunteers and we work very hard for no reward other than to give information. So it is something we will vigorously defend.

I would really appreciate if your posts could be more clear delineating Sprint versus S4GRU information. Additionally, please make sure negative comments regarding Sprint meet the requirements of our posting guidelines.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

Thanks.

This week FM will be switching on network vision. The next 4 nights there will be some hand-off issues between towers impaired service etc. (I would imagine for a time after that if they are readjusting towers) Tower updates have been happening all month and we are finally starting to see some progress. LTE will soon follow. Then 800 LTE will follow that. - IN THEORY this will be a whole new network. Time will tell - 

• Like 2

This week FM will be switching on network vision. The next 4 nights there will be some hand-off issues between towers impaired service etc. (I would imagine for a time after that if they are readjusting towers) Tower updates have been happening all month and we are finally starting to see some progress. LTE will soon follow. Then 800 LTE will follow that. - IN THEORY this will be a whole new network. Time will tell - 

I plan on being up the Fargo area on Sept 7th and 8th. Hopefully it will all be working swimmingly by then!

Have you been involved in this tower work by chance?

Where are you getting this info?

I checked out the tower closest to my house last weekend and there was no hint of work happening and old equipment sill on the tower.

If true it's great news but sorry to say I'm a little skeptical of this info due to the number of posts you've made. It appears Robert "liked" this post so I guess it's possibly correct info...

Keep in mind this is NV not lte. NV is the 800 integration prepping for lte. On the 26th 2 sites went live in great bend, 2 in Ambercrombie and 2 in wahpeton. :) I would be skeptial also, it is an internet forum. :)