IOS 6.1.4 issues

bmattox79

I have upgraded to OS 6.1.4 and have not had any issues with battery life.  I do make sure that at least twice a day that I double click the home button and fully close the apps that I have opened.  Some apps will continue to run in the background and drain the battery rather quickly.

If I am running LTE full time, it will drain the battery quickly as well, probably three times faster than WiFi or 3G.

Just wondering if anyone is having problems since the update. My is dying twice as fast as it was before, battery life is horrible now. Anyone having this or any other issues.

I haven't had any issues with 6.1.4; however I had major battery issues with 6.1.3 because of a bug with my MS Exchange account through work. Any time I would accept a calendar invite it would continuously loop through as accepted and burn right through my battery (there have even been a couple of articles stating that the MS servers were getting bogged down due to this bug as well). Not sure if you have an exchange account or not, but the solution for me was to delete the account (meaning everything, contacts, calendar, email, reminders, etc), wait for about 30 minutes then reinstall the account. Because everything is backed up on the Exchange server you don't lose any of you data (contacts, etc). However I don't seem to have this issue with 6.1.4, so this may not be all that helpful.

I have upgraded to OS 6.1.4 and have not had any issues with battery life.  I do make sure that at least twice a day that I double click the home button and fully close the apps that I have opened.  Some apps will continue to run in the background and drain the battery rather quickly.

If I am running LTE full time, it will drain the battery quickly as well, probably three times faster than WiFi or 3G.

Jesus is LTE that power hungry on the iPhone?

It is for me.  When in the office or home, I stay on WiFi.  Now it does depend if I am using data on the phone with LTE but it does drain it fairly fast.

No, NO, NO! Please stop perpetuating this cargo-cult nonsense! iOS automatically manages apps. It forces them to shutdown after ten minutes in the background. If there is plenty of RAM, it will leave them in memory in suspended-animation so switching back is instant, but they aren't running and can't waste battery life. If another app needs the RAM, it dumps them automatically. Only apps currently playing audio can run continuously past the 10 minute mark.

The app drawer is just a list of apps used recently. The apps may be running, may be suspended, or may already be completely shutdown and unloaded. There is no indicator of the status because you aren't meant to manually manage them. Go ahead - restart your iPhone and you will see the app drawer is still populated on a freshly booted OS with no apps running.

The only thing the app drawer has to do with running apps is if you tap the X, and the app just so happens to be running, iOS will ask the app to close. That's it.

iOS also automatically kills apps that stop responding for a certain period of time.

I see now why Apple tends not to provide lots of dials and knobs to fuss with. People make up nonsense about what they do, then perpetuate cargo-cult actions like an information virus, causing thousands (millions?) of people to waste time in their day doing stuff like clearing the app drawer.

• Like 3

I have upgraded to OS 6.1.4 and have not had any issues with battery life. I do make sure that at least twice a day that I double click the home button and fully close the apps that I have opened. Some apps will continue to run in the background and drain the battery rather quickly.

If I am running LTE full time, it will drain the battery quickly as well, probably three times faster than WiFi or 3G.

No. Something else is causing this, even if it somehow is perceived to be LTE. Lower latency and larger bandwidth of LTE, especially when compared with the saturated 3G of sprint, means your radio will spend far less time actively transmitting.

No issues so far for me. Currently at 22% and 6 hours 14 minutes of usage 12+ hours of standby. Used WiFi briefly and have been on LTE the rest of the time. Alot better then the first time I had an iPhone 5 (just got this one). Back in September when Sprint's network was still in shambles it was murdering the battery life.