kckid

Samsung to offer 5G service by 2020

"Samsung Electronics said it has successfully tested the platform using the 28 Gigahertz (GHz)"

And people complained about Clear's 2.5 GHz propagation issues?

There is no 5G standard yet, what are they testing?

• Like 1

"Samsung Electronics said it has successfully tested the platform using the 28 Gigahertz (GHz) waveband to transmit data at a speed of 1 Gbps, which earlier had been considered as a conundrum by global industry players."

Great news everyone! They finally met the 4G specifications for speed which are "Have peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access."

• Like 1

It is based on 64 way MIMO. You could not fit 64 element MIMO in a 600MHz device, so 28GHz is probably the frequency where you could.

Edited by bigsnake49

"Samsung Electronics said it has successfully tested the platform using the 28 Gigahertz (GHz)"

And people complained about Clear's 2.5 GHz propagation issues?

Lmao 28ghz. If they rolled that out, it'd have coverage similar to my WiFi router.

<br />Lmao 28ghz. If they rolled that out, it'd have coverage similar to my WiFi router.
they said they are at 1 km right now. I'm sure that is unobstructed open space though.<br /><br />Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br /><br />

Lmao 28ghz. If they rolled that out, it'd have coverage similar to my WiFi router.

rofl thats what I WAS THINKING LOL

rofl thats what I WAS THINKING LOL

Not if that's 28GHZ on a point to point connection :P

Oh but it doesn't matter what it is... Samsung has to be the first one to market 5G! They're the first!!!

Like the laundry list of their useless features on SGS4 that you'll turn off within a week. :rofl:

• Like 2

Oh but it doesn't matter what it is... Samsung has to be the first one to market 5G! They're the first!!!

Like the laundry list of their useless features on SGS4 that you'll turn off within a week. :rofl:

well maybe like wimax devices it will be multi-functional......part cell phone, part space heater.

More completely useless G rhetoric in phones. This should be an exciting announcement but when I read the substance it bores me to sleep. When DoCoMo and Ericsson come up with something that can get to over 10 Gbps over wide distances similar to LTE, then I'll be all for upgrading a G.

More completely useless G rhetoric in phones. This should be an exciting announcement but when I read the substance it bores me to sleep. When DoCoMo and Ericsson come up with something that can get to over 10 Gbps over wide distances similar to LTE, then I'll be all for upgrading a G.

The fun part is getting there.

Not if that's 28GHZ on a point to point connection :P

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Oh come on guys this comes in the box with your Galaxy S10.

uploadfromtaptalk1368529258266.jpg

• Like 2

It is based on 64 way MIMO. You could not fit 64 element MIMO in a 600MHz device, so 28GHz is probably the frequency where you could.

I saw that, it's "64 antenna elements". So... 32x32? 63x1? I have no idea how this works.

I saw that, it's "64 antenna elements". So... 32x32? 63x1? I have no idea how this works.

It doesn't matter, it's "5 Jiggas" !! :tu:

• Like 1

It doesn't matter, it's "5 Jiggas" !! :tu:

I just realized - what about this is "5G" anyways? Just jamming more antennas together with bigger spectrum isn't really an advancement, it's just more of what we already have. It's like putting a cake on top of a cake and then saying "BEHOLD! I have invented... THE DOUBLE CAKE!"
  • Like 1

I just realized - what about this is "5G" anyways? Just jamming more antennas together with bigger spectrum isn't really an advancement, it's just more of what we already have. It's like putting a cake on top of a cake and then saying "BEHOLD! I have invented... THE DOUBLE CAKE!"

5G is a fundamental change in the network. fiber fed high frequency point to point & point to multipoint backhaul links & satellite fed sites or clusters. With 5G a carrier/operator will be able to bring reliable highspeed broadband data to ANYWHERE they choose.

However with my thoughts on what "5G" should be i see no reason to remove Lte from that labeling as this yields for longer terms of evolution. So "5G Lte"

If it reaches that speed sprint can have home internet deals!

• Like 1

5G is a fundamental change in the network. fiber fed high frequency point to point & point to multipoint backhaul links & satellite fed sites or clusters. With 5G a carrier/operator will be able to bring reliable highspeed broadband data to ANYWHERE they choose.

However with my thoughts on what "5G" should be i see no reason to remove Lte from that labeling as this yields for longer terms of evolution. So "5G Lte"

Don't we have better than satellite feed junk now with fiber and microwave. Nv pings and backhaul speeds are awesome.

The air link will always be the weak link, well unless you run your whole network on t1 lines...

Sent from phone

Don't we have better than satellite feed junk now with fiber and microwave. Nv pings and backhaul speeds are awesome.

The air link will always be the weak link, well unless you run your whole network on t1 lines...

Sent from phone

I think satellite hate comes from "dish" Satellites that are consumer size. Large scale satellites are capable of moving massive amounts of data. This is not an in city solution, however there are still towns in this country that do not have any mobile service and a slow ping with fast speeds is not so bad for those folks.

Airlink doesn't have to be a weak link. combinations of low and high band spectrum have proved to be step in the right direction.