The airave before and after?

Rukin1

Quick question, Jeffas332. I can understand running an Airave at home for CDMA1X voice calling. But why are you concerned about connecting to the Airave for EV-DO? If you have an Airave, you have home broadband, and your devices should be connected to Wi-Fi for data.

I do not have any need for an Airave at home, as I have very good CDMA1X and EV-DO coverage, as well as marginal LTE coverage until one more site in progress comes online. But I use almost zero EV-DO and LTE data at home. I pull into the driveway, and within 10 seconds, my handset automatically is attached to one of my two Wi-Fi SSIDs.

Honestly, that is the way to operate a smartphone these days.

AJ

• Like 1

Quick question, Jeffas332. I can understand running an Airave at home for CDMA1X voice calling. But why are you concerned about connecting to the Airave for EV-DO? If you have an Airave, you have home broadband, and your devices should be connected to Wi-Fi for data.

I do not have any need for an Airave at home, as I have very good CDMA1X and EV-DO coverage, as well as marginal LTE coverage until one more site in progress comes online. But I use almost zero EV-DO and LTE data at home. I pull into the driveway, and within 10 seconds, my handset automatically is attached to one of my two Wi-Fi SSIDs.

AJ

I'm not and I never was concerned. I know I would never get great speeds on EV-DO. I knew wifi would always be my data source of choice since I have wideband internet service. I think the confusion stemmed from an earlier comment by Rukin1, which I replied to and it snowballed from there. Granted I'm not an expert in any way about how the Airave works. I just know it works for me in my home as I have spotty voice/text service at best without it. I simply offered some advice based on my experience with the device (wait a while, the Airave should settle down & become reliable again).

That, of course, brought on some side-bar issues which lead us to here.

AJ

I'll trade you homes hurr.png

Judging by the relatively strong eHRPD signal, I would imagine you get a strong 1X signal in your home as well?

No. I wish. The 1x signal (or any signal from that particular site for that matter) was VERY good up until late February or early March. It's now very very sketchy at best. I need the Airave to deal with capacity issues that happens at that site which generally last from about 1500 till about 0200 on a daily basis.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever have issues sending texts via the airave? I have one of the newer Airvana ones, I live in a 1xA/3G converted area, all cells in range of the house are all converted to NV 1xA/3G. Go towards the metro area by a group of cells and it's back to legacy PCS but they're definitely out of range. This is another Moto market BTW.

It's like this every weekend, can receive texts, make and receive calls through the airave but outgoing texts won't send. I power off the airave and while on the cells can send texts just fine. 

I happened to discover that my neighbor also has an airave, while mine is down, I connect to his. BTW, 30 foot range my rear end. I've noticed we both have the smae SID (4418) NID (501) but different BID which I'd expect. We're both operating on channel 1150 which I thought was really odd because when looking at the PRL for ACQ 14 in the 4418 market, channel 1150 isn't even scanned. So I added channel 1150 the ACQ 14 in my PRL. It solved my recent airave connectivity problems where my phone preferred cells over the airave even though the airave was programmed to have priority over cells.

Do we think the two airaves at two houses next to each other on the same channel are causing problems? 

Anyone ever have issues sending texts via the airave? I have one of the newer Airvana ones, I live in a 1xA/3G converted area, all cells in range of the house are all converted to NV 1xA/3G. Go towards the metro area by a group of cells and it's back to legacy PCS but they're definitely out of range. This is another Moto market BTW.

It's like this every weekend, can receive texts, make and receive calls through the airave but outgoing texts won't send. I power off the airave and while on the cells can send texts just fine.

I happened to discover that my neighbor also has an airave, while mine is down, I connect to his. BTW, 30 foot range my rear end. I've noticed we both have the smae SID (4418) NID (501) but different BID which I'd expect. We're both operating on channel 1150 which I thought was really odd because when looking at the PRL for ACQ 14 in the 4418 market, channel 1150 isn't even scanned. So I added channel 1150 the ACQ 14 in my PRL. It solved my recent airave connectivity problems where my phone preferred cells over the airave even though the airave was programmed to have priority over cells.

Do we think the two airaves at two houses next to each other on the same channel are causing problems?

I have done a lot of testing at my work (we deployed a lot of these) and if you have one airave within range of your phone everything is fine, if you have two within range the 1x and evdo carriers start interfering with each other. You can watch the ec/io skyrocket. This may be worth a call to airave tech support because they may be able to get yours broadcasting on a different channel.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In early April, 2 new Airvana models passed thru the FCC, both with 800 MHz beacons. It's possible these will remedy the issues with the current Airave models.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Curious, what is an 800mhz beacon?

Curious, what is an 800mhz beacon?

I believe they broadcast voice signal on 800mhz as well as 1900mhz.

I am not sure that we can prove this from the FCC OET authorizations.  But user reports are that the Airave band class 10 CDMA1X 800 carrier operates only pilot channel and sync channel, maybe paging channel.  It does not allow traffic channels.  So, it serves to catch mobiles camped on CDMA1X 800 and redirect them to CDMA1X 1900.

AJ

I believe they broadcast voice signal on 800mhz as well as 1900mhz.

It does not use 800 for voice, it makes the handset switch over to 1900. I was able to confirm the lack of voice coverage on 800 (on Airvana 2.5/2.5+ models) a while ago by forcing my old evo lte radio to secondary 800.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1