COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

I thought the only native Sprint coverage in the U.P. was in St. Ignace and the Sault?!?!?

Can you get some tower pictures?

Is this the tower in Marinette across the river in Wisconsin?

Judging by the Sprint coverage map, it's the tower in Marinette.... just barely in Wisconsin. But they do show the coverage in Menominee.

"Menominee!" "Do, do, do do doo!"

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

When are you going to start the ebay auction ?

I'm not sure. You have a suggestion?

I'm a little confused. Is the equipment for CDMA 800 already on towers that have been upgraded to 4g? What about the equipment for LTE 800?

In the first six months or so of Network Vision back in 2012, sometimes they would not deploy all the equipment, because of early equipment availability issues, etc. However, since approximately Q3-2012, all sites are fully deployed with 800/1900 LTE/CDMA equipment from the get go.

So when you see a site that only has one technology accepted, whether 3G or 4G, it means the other technologies have already been installed also. However, the other technologies cannot be accepted as complete at this time. Often the reason why 800 cannot be accepted is because of interfering Nextel iDEN (which is soon to no longer being a problem). Often why 4G cannot be accepted is backhaul. Often why 3G cannot be accepted is because of clustering.

• Like 11

In the first six months or so of Network Vision back in 2012, sometimes they would not deploy all the equipment, because of early equipment availability issues, etc. However, since approximately Q3-2012, all sites are fully deployed with 800/1900 LTE/CDMA equipment from the get go.

So when you see a site that only has one technology accepted, whether 3G or 4G, it means the other technologies have already been installed also. However, the other technologies cannot be accepted as complete at this time. Often the reason why 800 cannot be accepted is because of interfering Nextel iDEN (which is soon to no longer being a problem). Often why 4G cannot be accepted is backhaul. Often why 3G cannot be accepted is because of clustering.

Good post for the FAQ, assuming its not there already.

Also, could be good info for the maps to explain why different towers are not 3g or 4g etc.

Ah ok I see. So the only thing that's left to do after the IDEN shutdown is site acceptance? Then they flip a switch then boom we have CDMA and LTE 800? And this starts happening within weeks of the IDEN shutdown?

I'm not sure I am at least hoping a lot of sites go live with CDMA 800 soon after the shut down. LTE 800 I thought was part of the NV 2.0 upgrade to start in a year or so.

I'm not sure I am at least hoping a lot of sites go live with CDMA 800 soon after the shut down. LTE 800 I thought was part of the NV 2.0 upgrade to start in a year or so.

I would surely think that you will see 800 go active for CDMA voice very soon after June 30 and maybe earlier.

Shentel has activated 800 meg on many many sites about a week ago.   I know they were trying to get the Nextel subs off the old Nextel network. Apparently they made it happen. I have 800 meg almost everywhere and it works very very good. If you have a "full Build" site, I would expect to see it go 800 active.  A ground mounted site will probably not go active until they eventually place the antennas and RRU's on top.

I even have a site that is 800 meg active but does not have active 1900 LTE. I am guessing that there is a backhaul issue at that location. It is located in a nastly location where backhaul might be difficult.

I thought the only native Sprint coverage in the U.P. was in St. Ignace and the Sault?!?!?

Can you get some tower pictures?

Is this the tower in Marinette across the river in Wisconsin

Yes it is the tower just over the river.  Sorry it took me so long to respond been a busy weekend

• Like 1

Was just wondering if NV work might slow down when the Nextel decommissioning starts?  I'm sure Sprint wants to get the equipment off the towers as quickly as possible so they can stop paying leases, power costs, backhaul costs, etc.  With crews already busy on the rollouts of all the carriers, do you think they might prioritize the Nextel work a little over NV to get the cost benefits sooner?

Just more of a general thought, not sure that anyone has heard anything on way or the other.

• Like 1

Was just wondering if NV work might slow down when the Nextel decommissioning starts? I'm sure Sprint wants to get the equipment off the towers as quickly as possible so they can stop paying leases, power costs, backhaul costs, etc. With crews already busy on the rollouts of all the carriers, do you think they might prioritize the Nextel work a little over NV to get the cost benefits sooner?

I'm guessing the t1s and power bills are much higher than the tower lease. I wouldn't expect a nv slowdown.

I'm guessing the t1s and power bills are much higher than the tower lease. I wouldn't expect a nv slowdown.

Was just wondering if NV work might slow down when the Nextel decommissioning starts?  I'm sure Sprint wants to get the equipment off the towers as quickly as possible so they can stop paying leases, power costs, backhaul costs, etc.  With crews already busy on the rollouts of all the carriers, do you think they might prioritize the Nextel work a little over NV to get the cost benefits sooner?

Just more of a general thought, not sure that anyone has heard anything on way or the other.

Network Vision wont be slowed down because of the iDen decommissioning as the companies who are removing the equipment are entirely different companies then the ones who are installing the gear. IE. The decommissioning contracts were awarded separately from Network vision. 

Ah ok I see. So the only thing that's left to do after the IDEN shutdown is site acceptance? Then they flip a switch then boom we have CDMA and LTE 800? And this starts happening within weeks of the IDEN shutdown?

Sorry to hijack 2 posts, once iDen is shutdown in the coming weeks after June 30th the 800mhz Spectrum will be freed up and since many sites already have the 800mhz RRU already installed they will be able to remotely control the base stations and enable 800mhz radio's on sites that are already completed. 

Sorry to hijack 2 posts, once iDen is shutdown in the coming weeks after June 30th the 800mhz Spectrum will be freed up and since many sites already have the 800mhz RRU already installed they will be able to remotely control the base stations and enable 800mhz radio's on sites that are already completed.

..Yes

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to miss this network, even though I haven't been on it in years. Nextel gave me my first real job in 2004. Thanks for the memories!

• Like 3

Ok...at the risk of getting yelled at for being stupid...

Please let me know if I am correctly understanding this...

The shut down of the iDEN freeing up the 800 spectrum, will mean that the Sprint voice signal will be on the 800 spectrum, and that will more of the 1900 spectrum for Sprint data...

Am I right?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

The shut down of the iDEN freeing up the 800 spectrum, will mean that the Sprint voice signal will be on the 800 spectrum, and that will more of the 1900 spectrum for Sprint data...

No, in most markets, a single CDMA1X 800 carrier channel -- for both voice and data -- will be just an added lane on the highway.  CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900 will continue at previous or even expanded bandwidth.

AJ

No, in most markets, a single CDMA1X 800 carrier channel -- for both voice and data -- will be just an added lane on the highway. CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900 will continue at previous or even expanded bandwidth.

AJ

.. Didn't you guys learn this from all the schooling we did with AJ?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

.. Didn't you guys learn this from all the schooling we did with AJ?

Yeah, and when are you guys gonna let me graduate?

;)

AJ

Hey floks, I live on orlando,fl and I work for disney. All the employees on disney use those nextel i365is and some other use the blackberry 8350i. That would be interesting to know what will happen in that area with the iden network.

Edited by makio