COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

So when they get the 800 signal up and running on the sprint network will the tower placement mess with the signal? Because 800 has a much larger range im thinking that the signal will overlap. I this even a problem? Or are they going to pick and choose which tower gets 800 to avoid overlap as much as possible.

So when they get the 800 signal up and running on the sprint network will the tower placement mess with the signal? Because 800 has a much larger range im thinking that the signal will overlap. I this even a problem? Or are they going to pick and choose which tower gets 800 to avoid overlap as much as possible.

All towers get 800. Their configurations are unknown but possibly has antenna downtilt set a bit further than the PCS signal but not that much further that is causes problems.

• Like 1

What improvements will I see with the shutdown of the Nextel iDEN, to my Sprint service?

Sprint is deploying 800MHz voice now in about 2-3 dozen markets. Some of these have started noticing 800 voice going love, or will very shortly. 800MHz travels farther and penetrates much better. The remaining markets will start 800 voice deployment this summer. It will take another 6-9 months to complete 800 voice implementation nationwide,

Starting this summer, Sprint will also start deploying LTE on 800MHz. LTE 800 will greatly improve Sprint LTE coverage. Especially in between cell site gaps and indoor coverage. It is estimated it will take a year to complete LTE 800 coverage.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Did I miss something I thought Sprint wasn't going to start LTE 800 deployment until Q4. I know that's when we can expect to mobile phone devices supporting that band. But it does make sense for them to start from now.

Did I miss something I thought Sprint wasn't going to start LTE 800 deployment until Q4. I know that's when we can expect to mobile phone devices supporting that band. But it does make sense for them to start from now.

CDMA 800

What improvements will I see with the shutdown of the Nextel iDEN, to my Sprint service?

Sprint is deploying 800MHz voice now in about 2-3 dozen markets. Some of these have started noticing 800 voice going love, or will very shortly. 800MHz travels farther and penetrates much better. The remaining markets will start 800 voice deployment this summer. It will take another 6-9 months to complete 800 voice implementation nationwide,

Starting this summer, Sprint will also start deploying LTE on 800MHz. LTE 800 will greatly improve Sprint LTE coverage. Especially in between cell site gaps and indoor coverage. It is estimated it will take a year to complete LTE 800 coverage.

Sprint is beginning LTE 800 deployment now. Some will start coming live in the end of July/August timeframe. I'm told the first ones will be in the South Bend area. But the deployment plan is rapidly evolving.

• Like 12

All towers get 800. Their configurations are unknown but possibly has antenna downtilt set a bit further than the PCS signal but not that much further that is causes problems.

And there's the reason for the independent remote ACU's on each section of the antenna.

Wish I could just quote the sentence I wanted....., but is the count down clock an hour off? If I did my time math correct it is counting down to midnight Central time (-0500), not Eastern time (-0400) as noted in the press release.

Wish I could just quote the sentence I wanted....., but is the count down clock an hour off? If I did my time math correct it is counting down to midnight Central time (-0500), not Eastern time (-0400) as noted in the press release.

this must be fixed! Now that my day has passed.... No daylight savings time on my watch!

Sprint is headquartered in Overland Park, KS.  Central Time should be the baseline for all Sprint actions.  Viva CST/CDT!

AJ

• Like 9

Wonder what dish would pay for the iden network to use to host their own frequency

I would say about tree fitty.

And, at this late date, that is about what the Nextel iDEN network is worth.

AJ

• Like 4

Wonder what dish would pay for the iden network to use to host their own frequency

I would say about tree fitty.

And, at this late date, that is about what the Nextel iDEN network is worth.

AJ

Umm kinda thinking he would pay $4.40

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

Just thought maybe instead of paying to tear the rest of it down ... towers backhaul etc ... dish could buy it and leave us alone.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

SMR spacing would not work for DISH AWS4 spectrum

Just thought maybe instead of paying to tear the rest of it down ... towers backhaul etc ... dish could buy it and leave us alone.

SMR spacing would not work for DISH AWS4 spectrum

The old iDEN network does not have the backhaul even remotely approaching what is needed for LTE.  You can bet that each iDEN site is still operating over just a few T1s.

AJ

• Like 1

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure about all the areas but I know a lot of Nextel sites around here were on leased towers so they will be remaining intact otherwise the other carriers might get kind of pissed.

• Like 1

Not sure about all the areas but I know a lot of Nextel sites around here were on leased towers so they will be remaining intact otherwise the other carriers might get kind of pissed.

Same in Michigan, there are only a few naked towers out there...

Same here, my local iden tower is also shared with Sprint, Clear Wire and 2 others I can"t identify

I thought the only native Sprint coverage in the U.P. was in St. Ignace and the Sault?!?!?

Can you get some tower pictures?

Is this the tower in Marinette across the river in Wisconsin?

I thought the only native Sprint coverage in the U.P. was in St. Ignace and the Sault?!?!?

Can you get some tower pictures?

Is this the tower in Marinette across the river in Wisconsin?

Judging by the Sprint coverage map, it's the tower in Marinette.... just barely in Wisconsin. But they do show the coverage in Menominee.