Potential Sprint rural buildout by 2016

Has anyone heard anything on project cedar or sprints spectrum leases in ND/SD/Alaska? The March 3rd buildout deadline is approaching really fast...

My source for Project Cedar says they were starting to get moving on site visits back in the Fall.  So it is moving.  Here in South Dakota, I have been seeing activity at Golden West sites.  Which I assume is related to Sprint.

• Like 3

My source for Project Cedar says they were starting to get moving on site visits back in the Fall. So it is moving. Here in South Dakota, I have been seeing activity at Golden West sites. Which I assume is related to Sprint.

That's awesome! Looking forward to the new coverage in Big Sky for my annual ski trip. Any word on North Dakota or Alaska?

• Like 1

That's awesome! Looking forward to the new coverage in Big Sky for my annual ski trip. Any word on North Dakota or Alaska?

Nope.

Please tell me there are plans for Birmingham, Alabama or anywhere in the state.

Besides SMR, we have been pretty neglected lately :/

What plans?  In Alabama, Sprint does not have any regulatory construction requirements to meet -- those already have been met.  See the opening few pages of this thread for areas in the western US where Sprint has not yet reached those buildout benchmarks.

Now, if you are talking about Network Vision upgrade deployment, that is mostly complete but still ongoing in Alabama and elsewhere.

AJ

What plans? In Alabama, Sprint does not have any regulatory construction requirements to meet -- those already have been met. See the opening few pages of this thread for areas in the western US where Sprint has not yet reached those buildout benchmarks.

Now, if you are talking about Network Vision upgrade deployment, that is mostly complete but still ongoing in Alabama and elsewhere.

AJ

One can be hopeful of some of the many iDEN sites that Sprint still has a lease for but is "decommissioned".

Heck we still have a cell site that has iDEN equipment still up, no reason they can't add old CDMA equipment or something. Would've saved them a bit in roaming and maybe a few customers..

225d485781249a7c5bcd0afc30ad5734.jpg9c0fdca16e252e89295f6d749ad3b560.jpg

Old Nextel iDEN panels up, however at the top of this 450ft mammoth are new SouthernLINC SMR LTE panels [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One can be hopeful of some of the many iDEN sites that Sprint still has a lease for but is "decommissioned".

Heck we still have a cell site that has iDEN equipment still up, no reason they can't add old CDMA equipment or something. Would've saved them a bit in roaming and maybe a few customers..

Old Nextel iDEN panels up, however at the top of this 450ft mammoth are new SouthernLINC SMR LTE panels [emoji24]

We still have a ton of sites around the Charlotte area that still have Nextel iDEN equipment on them. I'm crossing my fingers that Sprint will strongly consider these sites as places for desification during NGN.

-Anthony

• Like 2

That barely would register as a concern.  Any MVNOs that are just CDMA1X/EV-DO -- and can we please not use the term "3G" indiscriminately? -- signed on with Sprint at the past or present coverage footprint.  If they were not to get EV-DO in coverage expansion, too bad.  They are not entitled to it.  Furthermore, before and during Network Vision buildout, the MVNOs already dealt with CDMA1X only coverage areas.

AJ

Sorry. I regress at times :)

• 4 weeks later...

PCS G Block. Need substantial service before 3/3.

Don't be surprised if they file for an extension. If they have a plan in place for each license, but just need more time, the FCC will easily grant an extension.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 1

PCS G Block. Need substantial service before 3/3.

Not exactly.  As I recall from the CFR, the Required Notification needs to be filed with the FCC within a certain period of the actual deadline, something like 15 days.  And the license does not terminate until 30 days after the deadline.  So, Sprint has more than a month remaining -- though Sprint just will file for an extension if needed.

AJ

Not exactly. As I recall from the CFR, the Required Notification needs to be filed with the FCC within a certain period of the actual deadline, something like 15 days. And the license does not terminate until 30 days after the deadline. So, Sprint has more than a month remaining -- though Sprint just will file for an extension if needed.

AJ

How long would an extension be approx?

Dang...coverage in Montana seems to be drifting farther and farther away from reality :(

Yeah, and so what?  The point is that not many people care.

A few years ago on Ars Technica, I read a comment from an urbanite hipster, probably Millenial T-Mobile user who said that he did not want to pay for T-Mobile rural network expansion.  He self absorbedly said that he would be more likely to spend a year working in Beijing than ever to travel to North Dakota.  He did not want to subsidize infrastructure investment in rural areas that he probably would never visit.  When someone brought up the point about quality of life for rural food producers on which he relies, he said that he would just import food.

And there you have it...

AJ

I feel your Alabama pain. I'm in a position where I'm just out of range of band 26, drive a couple miles and get band 25...and not even considering band 41 as an option yet (but that's not Sprint...that's because the backhaul around here SUCKS.)

When the business class DSL and fiber speeds don't even hit 10mbps...it's hard to believe they'll (Sprint) convince AT&T to bring them fiber to a rural tower to support b41..

I'm really thinking Alabama is going to be a great market for microwave and small cells..but it's just getting that stuff deployed.

I live 6 miles from the closest 30mbps charter node...and the businesses that I know who opt for DSL can only get 6mbps down, 1/2 a meg up. So with that, I think Sprint's hands are tied.

I could get several people to consider Sprint if I could really show them how the service "should" be. As it stands right now, I keep my mouth shut and don't complain much (it works when I need it, if I'm rural then I deal with subpar dialup speeds until I get closer to the 2 towers that have LTE near my house).

I took my 4 wheeler for a ride the other day...just behind my house where the hill I live on gets a bit more steep...and over the rumble of my grizzly 660 I heard the SCP jingle for LTE..Couldn't believe it..

Sure enough, grabbed my phone from the saddle bag and it showed a -100 or so b26 signal. And very usable...around 8mbps down and 2mbps up (loads better than my "broadband" home connection of DSL...and I'm directly nextdoor to the AT&T DSLAM for my area.)

I'm not giving up on Sprint..got way too much time with them and way too much invested in devices. Heck, I just paid off three devices yesterday, and picked up a Note 5 for myself..and gave my daughter my LGG4..thanks to her S5 biting the dust. I tried to get her to her 7/1 eligible date for upgrade, but the screen was so cracked she couldn't use it, and the battery quit holding a charge.

I'm digging the Note 5..wasn't sure I was ready to come back to Samsung yet, but the Note 5 is a real beauty.

• Like 2

I feel your Alabama pain. I'm in a position where I'm just out of range of band 26, drive a couple miles and get band 25...and not even considering band 41 as an option yet (but that's not Sprint...that's because the backhaul around here SUCKS.)

When the business class DSL and fiber speeds don't even hit 10mbps...it's hard to believe they'll (Sprint) convince AT&T to bring them fiber to a rural tower to support b41..

I'm really thinking Alabama is going to be a great market for microwave and small cells..but it's just getting that stuff deployed.

I live 6 miles from the closest 30mbps charter node...and the businesses that I know who opt for DSL can only get 6mbps down, 1/2 a meg up. So with that, I think Sprint's hands are tied.

I could get several people to consider Sprint if I could really show them how the service "should" be. As it stands right now, I keep my mouth shut and don't complain much (it works when I need it, if I'm rural then I deal with subpar dialup speeds until I get closer to the 2 towers that have LTE near my house).

I took my 4 wheeler for a ride the other day...just behind my house where the hill I live on gets a bit more steep...and over the rumble of my grizzly 660 I heard the SCP jingle for LTE..Couldn't believe it..

Sure enough, grabbed my phone from the saddle bag and it showed a -100 or so b26 signal. And very usable...around 8mbps down and 2mbps up (loads better than my "broadband" home connection of DSL...and I'm directly nextdoor to the AT&T DSLAM for my area.)

I'm not giving up on Sprint..got way too much time with them and way too much invested in devices. Heck, I just paid off three devices yesterday, and picked up a Note 5 for myself..and gave my daughter my LGG4..thanks to her S5 biting the dust. I tried to get her to her 7/1 eligible date for upgrade, but the screen was so cracked she couldn't use it, and the battery quit holding a charge.

I'm digging the Note 5..wasn't sure I was ready to come back to Samsung yet, but the Note 5 is a real beauty.

I know you said you've invested too much into Sprint phones, but why not bite the bullet and get something that works for you? Holding out for Sprint and inconveniencing yourself doesn't matter to Sprint or any other wireless carrier for that matter. They're out to make money and don't care about fanboys or loyalty. So why not put your phones for sale on Craigslist and test the waters? I know I did after spending time in West Texas. Sprint was useless out there so I rocked a cricket phone that worked where I needed it to. Once I left West Texas, I switched back to Sprint due living in an area in which at&t didn't work very well while Sprint had virtually no subscribers (tower covers highway instead of a city/town).

Lookee what I found in Rapid City, South Dakota. Golden West, the company that leased Sprint's PCS G Block in Western South Dakota appears to be broadcasting on G Block from their Downtown Rapid City Site on the roof of the Turnac Tower.

I swept this area with my spectrum analyzer just this past Friday and it looked the same as the background noise then.

70bf9f494375af2ab756aeca6bcc71c5.jpg

I cannot connect to it, but it's there on the spectrum analyzer. When I scan just using LTE Only, I see a new carrier I've never seen "USANW". I will keep trying to connect and will check other Golden West sites.

43124571ab6ebfac77d2ff26af8cd849.jpg

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 18

I know you said you've invested too much into Sprint phones, but why not bite the bullet and get something that works for you? Holding out for Sprint and inconveniencing yourself doesn't matter to Sprint or any other wireless carrier for that matter. They're out to make money and don't care about fanboys or loyalty. So why not put your phones for sale on Craigslist and test the waters? I know I did after spending time in West Texas. Sprint was useless out there so I rocked a cricket phone that worked where I needed it to. Once I left West Texas, I switched back to Sprint due living in an area in which at&t didn't work very well while Sprint had virtually no subscribers (tower covers highway instead of a city/town).

Well, like you said, I have a lot invested. I have 8 years in sprint & I guess the main reason is I don't like change. I have Vonage home phone & had the Same # since 2007.I could port but I just like keeping stuff simple & to me its such a hassle to try and find a carrier that will work here that its not really worth any small gains I might see in cellular signal & coverage around here. There isn't much option for my little area. There isn't another option that gives me what sprint gives me. I Know it probably is much easier than what I am thinking but I would just as soon stay with sprint

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1