Potential Sprint rural buildout by 2016

The official FCC status of our various new locations remains as "Offlined for Expired License Review".

Nothing new on the Sensorly side, however Root Metrics shows the following entries (date unknown):

Caspar, WY lots of LTE entries, max speed 4.1/5 (down/up).

Rapid City, SD lots of LTE entries, but minimal speed of 0.1/0.1

Sioux City, SD lots of LTE entries, 2.5/4.6

Brookings, SD lots of LTE entries, 2.3/1.0

Watertown, SD lots of LTE entries, 1.7/0.9

Aberdeen, SD some LTE entries, 2.2/1.4

Billings, MT 1.9/1.5

Great Falls, MT 4.4/1.7

Missoula, MT 3.6/1.2

Some others are also shown. We can not rule out carrier or LTE misidentification.

:fingers:

So all of those places are currently picking up some kind of sprint LTE ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So all of those places are currently picking up some kind of sprint LTE ?

Based solely on what is showing in root metrics of an unknown date, I would say Great Falls MT, Missoula MT, and Caspar WY are plausible.  Likely any of these are just in testing or operating like a protection site (public not really allowed).  We really need a knowledgeable member on the ground to really know (or a cooperative Sprint insider).

• Like 1

Based solely on what is showing in root metrics of an unknown date, I would say Great Falls MT, Missoula MT, and Caspar WY are plausible. Likely any of these are just in testing or operating like a protection site (public not really allowed). We really need a knowledgeable member on the ground to really know (or a cooperative Sprint insider).

Yeah we need someone in those areas who can keep us updated and to map on sensorly. Also I noticed some activity in Helena MT on the sensorly app? Did you catch that also ?

Yeah we need someone in those areas who can keep us updated and to map on sensorly. Also I noticed some activity in Helena MT on the sensorly app? Did you catch that also ?

Yea. It's definitely possible and probably legit.

• 1 month later...

Status of licensing for rural buildout remains the same, pending - Offlined for Expired License Review.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Logs provided by ingenium show a Sprint B25 LTE three sector site in Caspar WY, 08497Cxx.  Signal strength and coverage appear reasonable.  No details on throughput.

• Like 4

Logs provided by ingenium show a Sprint B25 LTE three sector site in Caspar WY, 08497Cxx. Signal strength and coverage appear reasonable. No details on throughput.

I'm guessing no one has mapped this on Sensorly

Correct. If I remember correctly it was mapped on root metrics, which showed it had very weak throughput. I like to know when it was done. Sensorly does have bad data at times, root metrics does not give dates.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Correct. If I remember correctly it was mapped on root metrics, which showed it had very weak throughput. I like to know when it was done. Sensorly does have bad data at times, root metrics does not give dates.

Do you think they'll just have minimal coverage in Casper and Cheyenne in that state and that's it ?

The Sprint goal was to preserve licenses. The only immediate benefit was to reduce roaming costs, thus speeds around 3g might be viewed as acceptable. Like many of the Wimax protection sites, I don't expect this to appear on coverage maps. The only one of these rural areas that Sprint has publicly committed to is Montana, thus I would expect them to be more fully expanded first. This has to be placed into the context of Sprint's goal of becoming profitable this fiscal year.

Besides decent backhaul, to truly serve an area you want overlapping sites - only one site was seen in Caspar on a drive through. The service from some of the Wimax protection sites was good. They were like an oasis in the desert. I would hope Sprint would at least rise to this level and make these moderately performing LTE sites. Then they could even put them on the coverage map.

• Like 1

I tried to, I had it open and mapping but the Nexus 6P apparently has a poor GPS and Sensorly and Cell Mapper rarely get an accurate enough location to count the data (usually is more than 50ft, which isn't good enough apparently, seems to need less than 30). My Nexus 6 always worked perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 2

The Sprint goal was to preserve licenses. The only immediate benefit was to reduce roaming costs, thus speeds around 3g might be viewed as acceptable. Like many of the Wimax protection sites, I don't expect this to appear on coverage maps. The only one of these rural areas that Sprint has publicly committed to is Montana, thus I would expect them to be more fully expanded first. This has to be placed into the context of Sprint's goal of becoming profitable this fiscal year.

Besides decent backhaul, to truly serve an area you want overlapping sites - only one site was seen in Caspar on a drive through. The service from some of the Wimax protection sites was good. They were like an oasis in the desert. I would hope Sprint would at least rise to this level and make these moderately performing LTE sites. Then they could even put them on the coverage map.

I guess there's new signal just outside great falls MT

Based off Sensorly unless that's another glitch in the mapping app

• Like 1

I guess there's new signal just outside great falls MT

Based off Sensorly unless that's another glitch in the mapping app

Good. 4 cities down 2 to go (Kalispell and Butte are still dark).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I noticed on sensorly that there's a slight increase in coverage for sprint. It looks like Casper WY has a smudge of LTE, parts of coverage outside Denver as well, and some southern states seem to look like coverage has increase marginally.

• Like 2

It sounds to me like Sprint may be taking the same approach with non build out areas with PCS as they did with their WiMAX network on 2.5/2.6 . None of the WiMAX protection sites in my region were on Sprint's coverage map either, but they certainly were live and most of them had something on plotted Sensorly.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

:sunny::frantic::lol:

All outstanding G-block licenses checked show granted by FCC effective 5/19/2017 for expiration 3/3/2026.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, RAvirani said:

There is some new Sprint LTE in South Dakota on Sensorly...I would keep my eyes peeled ?. 

I see the purple on the Minuteman Site. I've been to it many sites. Very friendly horse next to it. ;)

It's a well established AT&T Guyed Wire Site.  It's possible this might be AT&T LTE Roaming pollution on Sensorly.  Especially given the strength of the report.

I was expecting the Sprint site in this area to be in the town site of Wall itself.  I guess it's possible Sprint chose this site instead.  If I still lived in the area, I'd go check it out. But alas..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

I see the purple on the Minuteman Site. I've been to it many sites. Very friendly horse next to it. ;)

It's a well established AT&T Guyed Wire Site.  It's possible this might be AT&T LTE Roaming pollution on Sensorly.  Especially given the strength of the report.

I was expecting the Sprint site in this area to be in the town site of Wall itself.  I guess it's possible Sprint chose this site instead.  If I still lived in the area, I'd go check it out. But alas..

I was also under the impression that site would be in the town of Wall. And the closest planned site to Wall in my maps is in New Underwood...

Wish we had some eyes out there.

13 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I was also under the impression that site would be in the town of Wall. And the closest planned site to Wall in my maps is in New Underwood...

Wish we had some eyes out there.

Now some appeared in Rapid City.  It aligns right up with AT&T towers there.  It's unfortunate AT&T roaming is polluting the Sprint Sensorly map.

Robert

I think it's a very exciting time to be a Sprint customer. What would be better is if a merger is done and those TMO roaming bands turn into native. It should be rather easy and one of the first things upon a merger happening... Turn on band 12 and band 4 for us Sprint customers... Same for TMO. Turn on band 25,26 and 41 for them... U would think that happens within 6 months of the merger.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what happens in the near future with Alabama. Seeing some sites go from GMO to full LTE...

Then I'd like to see what happens to my Sprint stick with a merger.

• 1 month later...

in my mind the merger would be awesome because of what you said above.. BUT we have to leave it in the hands of "smarter than us" people.  If the merger happens... I think Churn for everyone would drop off and movement would become flat... At which point, someone will start up the price wars again..

But for us in Tmo, or Sprint land... filling in those holes by turning on those bands would be YUGE!!!!!!!!

And selling off some for the mergers sake wouldnt be horrible..

This whole competition is good for the consumer is over blown... When coverage in this case suffers