Buying an S3

BlueAngel

Alright so I am bored to death with my iPhone 5 and iOS in general so I was looking on craigslist and found a mint pebble blue 32GB S3 with a clean ESN for roughly $300, I think it's a good deal the guy says he bought it only a few weeks ago. I have a few questions and figured someone here might be able to help me.

How do I go about checking the ESN

How do I switch to the S3 when I get back home with it

I figure if I don't like the S3 after a few days I can always resell it for damn close to what I payed for it so it's a pretty safe gamble. If I do like it I can sell my iPhone 5 for considerably more than I payed for the S3, so I would actually profit from the deal, thoughts?

Edited by BlueAngel

Never buy a phone unless you arrange to meet at a Sprint store. Tell them you wont buy it from them until its on your account working with your number.

Have the Sprint employee handle all of the ESN programming. If the employee comes back and says there is a hold on the phone that means the ESN is bad. Don't buy it!

• Like 1

Totally agree... go to the store and meet inside the store. Not outside! It was said above but I will repeat it as well as I have seen too many people get scammed on the forums. Do NOT hand over any money until it is active and working on your account! Do not take a "the ESN is clear" from anyone. Proof is what it takes.

• Like 2

I've done a few trades like this in the past. Make sure its working at the store when you meet. NEVER call CS to check an ESN since they tend to get the numbers mixed up as you read it to them. Another good sign is if he has the original box. I never tend to throw them away, ever.

Get the employee to check the water sensors. They have a special magnifying glass for this.

This is VERY important since you won't see them when you buy it and if your phone has a defect, you won't be covered under warranty.

Also when you activate it, add the insurance for a month at least just to play it safe in case anything comes up.

As for your iPhone, I would keep it, the GS3 is going south once the S4 has been out for a few months. I did a similar trade from my iphone 4s to a galaxy nexus just because it was one of the few phones with LTE at the time. Worst decision ever since iOS had more to offer in the long run and the gnex was nearing its end of life cycle.

The iPhone went so far south it fell off the planet.

Sent from my little Note2

Pretty much lol, can't wait to give Android a try. And as I said if I am not happy with my choice I can just sell it and get my money back at no real loss.

So I am posting from my S3 right now all went Well. :D

Glad to hear it as I really hate to read the many horror stories of people getting scammed on cell phones on there. You did the smart thing by asking for help and preventing any issues.

Glad to hear it as I really hate to read the many horror stories of people getting scammed on cell phones on there. You did the smart thing by asking for help and preventing any issues.

Thanks I work hard for my money I always like to do research before I buy anything. :)

Just buy one on Ebay....If something goes wrong and you get scammed you will get your money back....

Already bought one lol, BTW I need help finding a place to buy an official wall charger the one I have is a Samsung one (not the one that came with the phone) but the amperage is not up to par and the phone charges slow as molasses. Any ideas?