Samsung Galaxy S4 [L720 Single Band] User Thread

z250kid

I'm kind of having to double post this here and in the One forum - but can anyone give me an idea how the reception on this phone is, particularly compared to the S3? My workplace is basically at the furthest distance between two towers, and when I went from a Photon 4G to my current S3 I had a (fully anticipated) drop in 3G reception.

Considering upgrading to an S4 or HTC One, almost entirely dependent on if either of them manage to pull in a stronger 3G signal when on the outskirts of a coverage area.

I've read mixed reports of the One. Some say it is on par with the S3, some say it is a tad lower, depends on the bias I guess.

Yeah, trying to get unbiased input on something as unpredictable as reception is generally a battle of futility but I'm giving it a try!

Quick question: has anyone experienced any creaking on the device at all? I read somewhere that it creaks quite a bit, and my fathers creaks a bit too... Nothing too bad, but it still creaks.

A creak is a crack waiting to happen. And, then, well, you are up **** creek...

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Does the S4 have the PRL Write option in the ##DATA# menu? Since they removed it off the Note 2, I'm assuming that it won't be on any Sammy devices anymore.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Does the S4 have the PRL Write option in the ##DATA# menu? Since they removed it off the Note 2, I'm assuming that it won't be on any Sammy devices anymore.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I am not a 100% sure but I believe when I decompiled it, the option was hidden. At least it isn't removed.

Sent from my little Note2

Quick question: has anyone experienced any creaking on the device at all? I read somewhere that it creaks quite a bit, and my fathers creaks a bit too... Nothing too bad, but it still creaks.

-Luis

No creaks with mine. Feels like the most solid phone I've owned. Yeah, it's partially plastic, but half of the device is gorilla glass 3.

I've been experiencing great battery life compared to the S3. I don't know if it's because it's actually more efficient, or that it has a fresh battery.

• Like 1

So how is the CDMA radio? I know the one in the S3 is known to be a bit on the weak side VS most phone's. It's not that big of a deal to me, but I have had some issues with voice call's on the CDMA S3. Thanks

Well after 3 HTC devices, I opted for the S4, mainly for something different. But to be honest I grew tired of HTC and Sense. Was really upset they billed the EVO 3D as a flagship phone then basically tossed it aside, but oh well what can you do.

For me the camera, removable battery, and microSD card slot are big selling features of the S4. The unlocked bootloader is a bonus for a ROM flasher like me :)

Phone gets delivered tomorrow...cant wait

I would love to hear about LTE performance on both the S4 and the One. I'm getting ready to upgrade and considering both phones. The word on prior HTC LTE phones like the Evo LTE was weak reception/performance and that Samsung was better. Does that still hold true for the One vs the S4?

• Like 1

I would love to hear about LTE performance on both the S4 and the One. I'm getting ready to upgrade and considering both phones. The word on prior HTC LTE phones like the Evo LTE was weak reception/performance and that Samsung was better. Does that still hold true for the One vs the S4?

I read a report from a member on my market that had HTC Evo LTE and Note2(the RF beast) and the S4 even performs better than the Note2. So combine that with the other reports saying the One is on part with the S3 and there is your answer.

Sent from my little Note2

• 2 weeks later...

"Verizon Galaxy S4 will be twice as fast as the iPhone 5 and HTC ONE"

the Galaxy S4 will be the first device to support the carrier’s Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum, which will more than double the smartphone’s data speeds. The AWS frequency won’t be supported at launch, however, and will require a software update to enable it.

http://bgr.com/2013/05/28/verizon-galaxy-s4-data-speeds/