Nokia says big screens on smart phones are stupid.

legion125

Hmmm? Although no big deal, I think it boils down to preference and what you expect from a phone. However, if the iPhone 5 rolls out with a 4" screen this year, especially after the late Steve Jobs (RIP) said a large screen isn't necessary, I wonder if Nokia will eat crow if they eventually have to follow consumer demand and make a larger screen for its devices before sales finally begin to move. We may see something different from them later.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Smartphones-with-big-screens-are-stupid-says-Nokia_id27557

Smartphones with big screens are stupid, says Nokia

Is it just us, or is every tech giant out to bash its competitors? First we hadOlympus claiming that the Nokia 808 PureView and its 41-megapixel camera are “utter nonsense”, after which Sony made quad-core smartphones look like pointless battery hogs, and now, we have Nokia saying that phones with big screens are just stupid.

Yes, “stupid” was the exact word that Nokia's Niklas Savander used during an interview with Pocket-Lint. He also described the phenomenon of consumers wanting bigger and bigger displays as “monster truck syndrome”, which is a desire that doesn't make sense at all, as people would one day realize. Furthermore, Savander pointed out that instead of just making screens bigger and bigger, companies should focus on creating new technologies.

Now, we know that many of you say that having a smartphone with a humongous display, be it for watching photos, videos, or playing games, is simply awesome. And that is indeed true, but other than that, the extra large size of the device takes a huge toll on the device's portability and make it more or less unusable with a single hand.

Currently, the Nokia Lumia 900 has the biggest display on any Nokia smartphone measuring at 4.3 inches in diagonal. In comparison, other companies are pushing the boundaries much further with screens of 4.7 inches and above.

At the end of the day, we cannot agree that having a smartphone with a big display is stupid. Rather, it is a matter of personal preference. Some people prioritize the rich multimedia experience that a huge screen can deliver, while others prefer smartphones that fit perfectly in smaller palms. What do you, guys, think? What is your preferred display size?

I can use my phone with one hand, 4.7 inch screen and all. The thing is, I don't want to use it with one hand. My wife has a iPhone 4S as a loaner phone until her new phone comes off backorder. I was playing around with it and it just seems too small to operate with one hand. My thumb gets in the way, I have to enlarge part of the screen to select things because I keep fat fingering everything. I prefer large screens with lots of real estate.

There's big and there's big. I think 4" would be the sweet spot for the majority of people. I myself find 4.3" has worked the best for be. The size of the Epic Touch or GNex works as well. Anything larger that that (depending on the configuration) is getting out of my comfort zone. Nokia just sounds a bit arrogant with what they think you should have. Kinda like Verizon and Apple.

There's big and there's big. I think 4" would be the sweet spot for the majority of people. I myself find 4.3" has worked the best for be. The size of the Epic Touch or GNex works as well. Anything larger that that (depending on the configuration) is getting out of my comfort zone. Nokia just sounds a bit arrogant with what they think you should have. Kinda like Verizon and Apple.

For me, my larger E4GT is easier to hold and feels smaller than my Evo. Even though the screen is larger.

Too many phone size bigots out there. You should go meet a phone and not judge a phone by its cover. :hee:

In all seriousness, I do believe that when it comes to device size, too much thought is given to an exact screen dimension limitation. Folks should go out to a store and take these things for a spin with each new potential device that comes out. These newer large devices are much more ergonomic and feel smaller than they are. And the GSIII is really going to stretch that.

Posted via Forum Runner

For me, my larger E4GT is easier to hold and feels smaller than my Evo. Even though the screen is larger.

Too many phone size bigots out there. You should go meet a phone and not judge a phone by its cover. :hee:

In all seriousness, I do believe that when it comes to device size, too much thought is given to an exact screen dimension limitation. Folks should go out to a store and take these things for a spin with each new potential device that comes out. These newer large devices are much more ergonomic and feel smaller than they are. And the GSIII is really going to stretch that.

Posted via Forum Runner

I hate when the store has EVERY model tethered down with a 8 gauge cable. I want to feel it in my hand and see for myself if it is a fit or if it is too small or large. It was like pulling teeth when I bought my nexus to get one without a tether pulling it out of my hand or a case on it.

I make them go and get one from the back to hold, free of tethers. Or use one of the salespeoples personal devices. And then I leave and order from Amazon Wireless...at least I did with my last purchase. :hah:

I make them go and get one from the back to hold, free of tethers. Or use one of the salespeoples personal devices. And then I leave and order from Amazon Wireless...at least I did with my last purchase.

I asked for a phone from the back. They didn't have any razr maxx in stock and no employees even had the phone and they wouldn't take a nexus out from behind lock and key until I said I was buying it. I had to wait until my second visit when another employee with the nexus was there and then I could see it without tether and crappy thick purple rubber case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Like 1