HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

I did some urban drive testing over the last hour and can largely corroborate themuffinman's observations. In multiple cells that have contiguous LTE deployment, the One is a substantial improvement over the EVO LTE. The One does not drop LTE in areas of weak RSRP within LTE cells where the EVO LTE always did. But the One does not necessarily hold LTE through urban cells that still lack LTE deployment.

So, the One is a definite improvement, but it is no panacea. It likely puts HTC back on par with other Sprint LTE handset OEMs.

AJ

• Like 4

So I have noticed the last few days that my captive buttons don't light up easily, as in I can be in a dark room to where I can't see them because they are not lighting up. My wife's phone doesn't seem to have this problem, and hers light up brighter than mine when I can get them to go on also. Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2.

I did some urban drive testing over the last hour and can largely corroborate themuffinman's observations. In multiple cells that have contiguous LTE deployment, the One is a substantial improvement over the EVO LTE. The One does not drop LTE in areas of weak RSRP within LTE cells where the EVO LTE always did. But the One does not necessarily hold LTE through urban cells that still lack LTE deployment.

So, the One is a definite improvement, but it is no panacea. It likely puts HTC back on par with other Sprint LTE handset OEMs.

AJ

My observation is that the One will hold it, though performance will be extremely poor (which would be expected at >120dB). The EVO 4G LTE would be more likely to revert back to 3G. Did you notice the same thing?

Can anyone else do a few tests and watch (ahem, have a passenger watch) the Sensorly Sprint LTE map and see if, given that the One is connected to LTE, it drops it before other phones have or holds it about as long?

I'm going to try to do a few more of these today. Since I don't have a car dock yet, is the cup holder the best option? I want to test without my hand being a factor.

Sounds like a comparison between an S3 and EVO LTE. Sounds like HTC got this one up to the level of the Samsung devices. Good deal!

How's the bootloader and rooting deal? Easy? Crazy like the evo lte got?

Sent from my little Note2

I'll be going around Wichita this weekend with my Dad (GS3) and brother (EVO LTE) to do some testing. I know for a fact right now if I just sat down with a GS3 side by side the GS3 would register better RSRP but the real world testing I'm going to do will be moving about and doing some building testing as well.

As for the bootloader, from what I've read HTC may have finally changed up their ways when unlocking and dealing with S-ON. Some one here posted a link to a post by Koush and he said boot can be flashed from recovery.

Here it is: https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/WykbCAAVcrv

I will probably end up unlocking and going that route but if S-OFF comes up I will definitely do that. A lot easier making a zip rather than relocking and taking an OTA.

Can anyone else do a few tests and watch (ahem, have a passenger watch) the Sensorly Sprint LTE map and see if, given that the One is connected to LTE, it drops it before other phones have or holds it about as long?

I'm going to try to do a few more of these today. Since I don't have a car dock yet, is the cup holder the best option? I want to test without my hand being a factor.

I can tell you that in a fully deployed area(Charlotte)the LTE performance between the Evo and the One are indistinguishable outdoors. You will probably see a significant difference in those markets that are being deployed.

Sounds like a comparison between an S3 and EVO LTE. Sounds like HTC got this one up to the level of the Samsung devices. Good deal!

How's the bootloader and rooting deal? Easy? Crazy like the evo lte got?

Sent from my little Note2

I used Hasoon2000's unlock/root kit...took about 10 minutes total...did notice my bootloader shows "TAMPERED" now though (not that I care). Hopefully won't be too long to get s-off.

I can tell you that in a fully deployed area(Charlotte)the LTE performance between the Evo and the One are indistinguishable outdoors. You will probably see a significant difference in those markets that are being deployed.

What about indoors?

What about indoors?

Indoors the difference is between night and day, at least it is for me and a few other people that said the same thing. My evo still drops to 3g if I am deep inside a store/restaurant but my One stays connected to a very usable 4g signal.

Indoors the difference is between night and day, at least it is for me and a few other people that said the same thing. My evo still drops to 3g if I am deep inside a store/restaurant but my One stays connected to a very usable 4g signal.

wow.... and that's in a fully deployed area? I need to stop reading this thread or else I'll end up using one of my upgrades! Edited by Jaggrey

wow.... and that's in a fully deployed area? I need to stop reading this thread or else I'll end up using one of my upgrades!

The other day I had to go to a buddy of mines house who lives in a part of the state that isn't fully deployed and my evo dropped to 3g a few miles before I got to his house while my One was connected while I was at his house. I know other users have been comparing rsrp values and I have as well but I am trying for the life of me to not look at it that way but rather look at it in terms of real world use.

EDIT:

You only live once, life is short. So I say go ahead and blow the upgrade, LOL.

• Like 1

I think what you are actually trying to say is "you only live One."

AJ

• Like 3

The HTC Logo can be used as a capacitive button after all.

With a custom kernel of course.

That's awesome. I wasn't feeling the two button approach, but loved everything else about the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

That's awesome. I wasn't feeling the two button approach, but loved everything else about the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I'm starting to like it, if it wasn't for muscle memory it wouldn't be much of a problem. Frankly, I'm finding the charger port a nuisance since I'm so used to the EVO that had it on the side. It's more practical on the bottom since it's out of the way, but I get frustrated a bit when I try and plug the phone in. I bet it's only me, but it'll grown on me.

As for the configuration of the home button, I like the fact that it's a double tap to multitask.

Just my 2 cents

-Luis

I'm starting to like it, if it wasn't for muscle memory it wouldn't be much of a problem. Frankly, I'm finding the charger port a nuisance since I'm so used to the EVO that had it on the side. It's more practical on the bottom since it's out of the way, but I get frustrated a bit when I try and plug the phone in. I bet it's only me, but it'll grown on me.

As for the configuration of the home button, I like the fact that it's a double tap to multitask.

Just my 2 cents

-Luis

This is just too funny. Everytime my girlfriend goes to plug her phone in she stares at the side of it for about 3 seconds before remembering that the port is on the bottom.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say that Charlotte is fully deployed, far from it. But there's enough coverage that Sprint officially acknowledged it. The coverage will continue to improve over the next several months.

Just my 2 cents

-Luis

Having the save problem haha. Power button, charging port, and home all feel off ... For now. Getting used to it.

Sent from my HTC ONE using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone tried using this phone while running GPS? I remember the Evo had an issue with that initially where it would either overheat or drain the battery even while plugged in. I don't remember if an update or a certain charger fixed that but I no longer have that issue. With reports of this phone charging slow, has anyone seen that the charger can't keep up with the drain that GPS has?

This is just too funny. Everytime my girlfriend goes to plug her phone in she stares at the side of it for about 3 seconds before remembering that the port is on the bottom.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my reaction.

Having the save problem haha. Power button, charging port, and home all feel off ... For now. Getting used to it.

Sent from my HTC ONE using Tapatalk 2

For me the worst is honestly the Volume Button, it's so flush and the case from HTC also makes it feel flush that I can't find them. It's all about getting used to it I guess. Given that my EVO case had bumps near the volume, I just have to learn the feeling of the volume rocker on this case.

-Luis

The problem will arise when my Nexus 7 freaks out at the double tap. It will know then that I have been seeing a younger, more slender model.

AJ

• Like 2

The other day I had to go to a buddy of mines house who lives in a part of the state that isn't fully deployed and my evo dropped to 3g a few miles before I got to his house while my One was connected while I was at his house. I know other users have been comparing rsrp values and I have as well but I am trying for the life of me to not look at it that way but rather look at it in terms of real world use.

EDIT:

I think what you are actually trying to say is "you only live One."

AJ

You only live for One, so go for it! :D

haha! Well it's not my upgrade but my dad's, who's got an Evo Shift. He's fine with that phone but I'm sure he wouldn't mind a new one :D . So I guess part of my hesitation is the lines that have upgrades will probably need them soon.

The problem will arise when my Nexus 7 freaks out at the double tap. It will know then that I have been seeing a younger, more slender model.

AJ

If phones could talk I would imagine it would go something like this: "Where did you get that new double tap thing from? Is it another phone? Have you been seeing another phone? You don't need to double tap me!" (try to say it in the way that Wanda Sykes talks)

Or something like that.

• Like 2

ALRIGHTTTTT Listen up! Should I ditch my iPhone 5 for this bad boy or what? The HTC One that is!!!

Honestly, only you can answer that question. Go to a sprint store, play with it and see how you like it.