What will Sprint do with Clearwire now that it owns it?

newgroundsguru

I expect some kind of a deal with Dish or AT&T or Verizon for the rest.

Even if you might make some money, you do not assist your sworn enemies, especially the godforsaken duo of AT&T and VZW.  The Twin Bells have played spectrum keep away from the rest of the industry for so long that it is high time Sprint returned the favor.  No BRS/EBS for you!

AJ

• Like 5

Even if you might make some money, you do not assist your sworn enemies, especially the godforsaken duo of AT&T and VZW.  The Twin Bells have played spectrum keep away from the rest of the industry for so long that it is high time Sprint returned the favor.  No BRS/EBS for you!

AJ

No soup for you :)!

Trade is the name of the game.

Which reminds me, what the heck is Sprint going to do with their 900Mhz holdings? For a while I thought they could trade them to Solinc for their 800Mhz holdings, but then from what I understand, Solinc is going to go to Tetra on 450-470MHz, so now I'm slightly confused.

Edited by bigsnake49

So you are OK with Sprint buying out another company and totally fk'ing over those people so YOU can have what YOU want? Self centered some?

And before you point the finger at me I'm not doing anything wrong. Remember I signed up for a Home 4G modem with unlimited data. I haven't tried to do anything that I didn't sign up for.

Yes, I'm OK with it.  Clearwire's business model was unsustainable.  You were going to lose service no matter what.  You have no choice but to move on because Clearwire was on their way to an eventual bankruptcy.  It's the end of the road.  Since you had a one sided relationship, of course you're sad to see it go.  But Sprint is not the boogey man here.  

And many wired ISP's nowadays won't even allow over 300GB of usage in a month.  You are a heavy user, and not well suited for a wireless situation.  Wireless networks are a shared resource.

Robert

• Like 4

I disagree, it will be very sustainable especially once 2600 is rolled out to all the planned sites.

Clearwires unsustainable business model was not spectrum constrained, it was a whole mess of other issues, not the least of which was the lack of synergy between sprint and clear.

Sprint could have resold clear's unlimited home/mobile wireless services as part of a sprint family deal, but it was in sprints favor to let clear dangle and die on the vine so they could do what they did and scoop up the spectrum for a song.

Clear had plenty of other mismanagement problems, but it was in sprints best interest to let them fail.

I've been with Clear for over 3 years. I signed up with Clear, not Sprint.

And now you are with Sprint not Clear as whatever service agreement you had transferred over. As long as Sprint abides by that agreement then it has done nothing wrong.

I disagree, it will be very sustainable especially once 2600 is rolled out to all the planned sites.

Clearwires unsustainable business model was not spectrum constrained, it was a whole mess of other issues, not the least of which was the lack of synergy between sprint and clear.

Sprint could have resold clear's unlimited home/mobile wireless services as part of a sprint family deal, but it was in sprints favor to let clear dangle and die on the vine so they could do what they did and scoop up the spectrum for a song.

Clear had plenty of other mismanagement problems, but it was in sprints best interest to let them fail.

And I think based on how fast a Sprint 5MHz channel and Verizon's 10MHz channel is filling up, Sprint needs all of the capacity on 2600 for mobile use if it is going to keep unlimited. You don't see how a home service and mobile use are uncompatible? Does Sprint have spectrum to spare this year or next year? Yes. But not in 3-5 years.

Once Sprint becomes a nationwide carrier with great performance, people are going to use their phones way more than ever. And more people will come for unlimited. And that is what Sprint wants. Not home users who use way more GB of data at a much lower rate per GB for that capacity used. Sprint wants to sell that extra capacity to much higher paying mobile subs. While maintaining the highest average speeds and performance.

If you want Sprint to compete with duopoly then you need to want them to stay away from home LTE service. Unless it has Draconian caps or is only in rural areas where there is no challenge to capacity.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

I want them to compete with the duopoly, not just by providing the same old crap that we have had forever, but by providing new services the other can't or won't provide, ie by embracing home/mobile services that clearwires spectrum provides for.

I want them to compete with the duopoly, not just by providing the same old crap that we have had forever, but by providing new services the other can't or won't provide, ie by embracing home/mobile services that clearwires spectrum provides for.

They are going to provide something AT&T and Verizon won't provide (anymore, anyway) and that is unlimited data. That will be Sprint's calling card until the day comes that it isn't feasible anymore.

I want them to...

And I want my job to be better compensated, my head to stop sprouting grey hairs, my diet to be more balanced, my time not to be so focused on S4GRU, etc.  Just because I want those things and they can happen does not mean that they should or will happen.  That is a logical fallacy.  Too much of this thread is driven by self centered wants of a small few who currently use Clearwire WiMAX.  Substitute WiMAX for iDEN and we have the Nextel situation all over again.

AJ

• Like 7

Here's a bit of a caveat to the discussion: fixed wireless users on a mobile network will, all else equal, take less time slots/bandwidth to deliver a set amount of data, due to better signal strength. If spectrum is the limiting factor and you've got 4x4 MIMO on the tower, a 4x4 MIMO fixed client (there's plenty of room for antennas in a fixed terminal) with plenty of gain will be able to hit top modulations, consistently, on multiple MIMO chains, such that 50GB of usage on their side would put about as much spectrum strain as 10GB on a hotspot, or 5GB on a less-powerful mobile phone.

Plus, you can selectively offer fixed wireless where you have capacity, or where you can easily grow that capacity. Doesn't need to be nationwide. Remember that Sprint did this several years ago (albeit at 1.5M down, 256K up, for $45/mo) in a similar use case. Granted, they weren't taking spectrum away from their PCS CDMA network to make this happen. But in areas where they have enough spectrum to support multiple TD carriers per sector, mobile usage is likely to only need one of them. Maybe two. So fixed wireless would actually be a good use of resources that are already set up.

• Like 2

Plus, you can selectively offer fixed wireless where you have capacity, or where you can easily grow that capacity. Doesn't need to be nationwide. 

This I support.  And these are the consumers who need another choice more than anyone in the country.  In fact, many of these people have no broadband ISP options other than satellite.

Robert

• Like 2

Here's a bit of a caveat...

Thanks for the informative contributions you make to the discussion. It is always intriguing to hear from the folks that have a great understanding of how all this mobile telephony works. Plus your posts always seem to be about finding a solution to the issue, and the factors that make it so. Hearing about the means to the end, while interesting, is also informative and you make a point easily understandable. In turn not as intimidating for some, and thus leads one to want to learn more. Neat.

• Like 1

Both Freedompop and another that is based in Portland are still offering service to new customers

If sprint is going to sell wholesale to others,,, why kill clearwire?  dosent make sence to me.

"FreedomPop's high speed wireless internet service runs on Clearwire's 4G WiMax network. The service will expand to include Sprint's 4G LTE network in 2013".

Both Freedompop and another that is based in Portland are still offering service to new customers

If sprint is going to sell wholesale to others,,, why kill clearwire?  dosent make sence to me.

"FreedomPop's high speed wireless internet service runs on Clearwire's 4G WiMax network. The service will expand to include Sprint's 4G LTE network in 2013".

They may have contracts they have to honor to third parties.  Whereas they are free to kill Clearwire's WiMax direct sales.  It won't be long until they make Clearwire WiMax MVNO's move to LTE.  As soon as they can contractually.

Robert

Can Sprint use the EBS spectrum for telematics/in car entertainment (movie/music streaming, internet gaming). Since they are no longer constrained by power consumption they can increase power and therefore propagation and penetration. 

Can Sprint use the EBS spectrum for telematics/in car entertainment (movie/music streaming, internet gaming). Since they are no longer constrained by power consumption they can increase power and therefore propagation and penetration. 

That has been my idea recently, but not just EBS, also BRS.  Sprint should make a strong push to be the wireless provider of choice for the "connected car" that tech heads are talking about as one of the next big things.

Unlike the other operators, Sprint with BRS/EBS 2600 MHz has ample bandwidth for cars and users that may be constantly downloading data.  Plus, BRS/EBS path loss should not be a problem with external antennas on cars, and with the shorter wavelengths, those antennas can be made smaller and more discreet.

AJ

• Like 2

AJ, are you proposing using the same network/infrastructure for both mobile and connected car?

Yes, because of BRS/EBS 2600 MHz propagation characteristics that can be problematic for small mobile devices but not for cars with external antennas, TD-LTE 2600 deployed along highly traveled corridors would keep the "connected car" off the rest of the macro network, thereby preserving capacity around those highly traveled corridors.  The same could not be said for the other wireless operators' spectrum and bandwidth.

AJ

• Like 5

That has been my idea recently, but not just EBS, also BRS.  Sprint should make a strong push to be the wireless provider of choice for the "connected car" that tech heads are talking about as one of the next big things.

Unlike the other operators, Sprint with BRS/EBS 2600 MHz has ample bandwidth for cars and users that may be constantly downloading data.  Plus, BRS/EBS path loss should not be a problem with external antennas on cars, and with the shorter wavelengths, those antennas can be made smaller and more discreet.

AJ

So perhaps they should partner with an entity which seeks to enable the internet of "things''?  Smart-homes, vehicles, robots :ninja:  MID, etc?

-Will

• Like 1

So perhaps they should partner with an entity which seeks to enable the internet of "things''?  Smart-homes, vehicles, robots :ninja:  MID, etc?

-Will

I think they already have partnered with Chrysler. Who did you have in mind?