Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Pretty sure someone took pictures of the UOP site and its been decommissioned and replaced by the NV cow.

I try to park next to that tower every time I can. So far I've only spotted NV 1.0 and not NV 2.0

Hopefully by the time the next semester starts I spot some NV 2.0

I got my iphone two weeks ago and tallied up 6.1GB in data usage. I have an unlimited data plan. Is there a threshold on the Sprint network where they may begin throttling my speeds?

Perhaps I should take a break from doing speed tests all over town. I used the XFINITY TV Go app to watch two tv episodes and some live news channels. I can't believe I sucked up all this data in about two hours today. Okay, back to Ancient Aliens marathon on the Spark network.

Unlimited baby!

anto2l8.png?1

- -
Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

I got my iphone two weeks ago and tallied up 6.1GB in data usage. I have an unlimited data plan. Is there a threshold on the Sprint network where they may begin throttling my speeds?

Perhaps I should take a break from doing speed tests all over town. I used the XFINITY TV Go app to watch two tv episodes and some live news channels. I can't believe I sucked up all this data in about two hours today. Okay, back to Ancient Aliens marathon on the Spark network.

Unlimited baby!

- -

Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

I streamed some CNN coverage(from the Xfinity app) a while back for like 15 minutes and was surprised how much data it used .

Unrelated note, that typeface is so ugly and hard to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Unlimited baby!

anto2l8.png?1

- -

Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

I think that Sprint will implement the throttle, especially after people realize that they aren't stuck on the older unusable 3G.

Edited by jwigley

I think that Sprint will implement the throttle, especially after people realize that they aren't stuck on the older unusable 3G.

Only on the most congested sites will high data users be lesser prioritized and possibly throttled and it goes away once the user leaves the coverage of a congested site and goes to a non congested site.

• Like 1

Winston Churchill Middle School in Carmichael, in the parking lot on the corner. Today is the first time LTE has ever been seen on any of our phones in this area. It's slow and I'm jumping back & forth between two towers (blue = visible, red = connected), but It doesn't drop to 3G.

LTE is slower than 3G right now at this location, however, I am happy just to see LTE on. I'm sure it'll get faster.

cId3YaX.jpg?1

xFnrMLf.jpg?1

Vi7hFUr.jpg?1

- -
Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

Winston Churchill Middle School in Carmichael, in the parking lot on the corner. Today is the first time LTE has ever been seen on any of our phones in this area. It's slow and I'm jumping back & forth between two towers (blue = visible, red = connected), but It doesn't drop to 3G.

LTE is slower than 3G right now at this location, however, I am happy just to see LTE on. I'm sure it'll get faster.

- -

Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

Slow speeds are to be expected at weak signal levels -110+. 

On the bright side you are connected to Band 26 LTE 800.

Also LTE does not broadcast their location so every single app out there that says the location for LTE sectors are wrong. 

Slow speeds are to be expected at weak signal levels -110+.

On the bright side you are connected to Band 26 LTE 800.

Also LTE does not broadcast their location so every single app out there that says the location for LTE sectors are wrong.

I did just over 67Mbps over the weekend at over 100dBi. I believe that was band 26 also. I'm always on that band it seems. I thought 41 was the more desirable one?

- -

Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

I did just over 67Mbps over the weekend at over 100dBi. I believe that was band 26 also. I'm always on that band it seems. I thought 41 was the more desirable one?

- -

Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

Band 26 is a 5x5 carrier with theoreitcal max speeds of 37/12. Band 41 is the 20 mhz TDD-LTE carriers that can reach 100/14.7 theoretically but mostly tops out 50-80mbps. 

Band 26 is a 5x5 carrier with theoreitcal max speeds of 37/12. Band 41 is the 20 mhz TDD-LTE carriers that can reach 100/14.7 theoretically but mostly tops out 50-80mbps.

Well shiver me timbers. It appears that I must go on Ghost Hunters looking for B41 from now on. I won't be the same again now that I know the theoretical bandwidth thresholds.

Tim, you saved me. What would we do without you? (=

- -

Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

Well shiver me timbers. It appears that I must go on Ghost Hunters looking for B41 from now on. I won't be the same again now that I know the theoretical bandwidth thresholds.

Tim, you saved me. What would we do without you? (=

- -

Ant (iPhone 6 Plus)

Well this thread would probably become like some other markets threads where people post once every few odd months and discussions died 3 pages in.. 

• Like 5

Working here in west sac and truly happy with these speeds. I can stream a HD video and run Spotify perfectly fine:)

And to just think that merely 3 months ago speeds were sub 100 kbps all over with pings >300 ms and connections timing out left and right. Sprint may not have the fastest speed in the area but just being usable now is a great improvement. 

Next step is to increase that speed and reliability with LTE 800 and more TDD LTE 2500. 

• Like 3

Tim, can you clarify what Sprint plans to do with Clearwire's TD-LTE network? Are they going to upgrade every clearwire site to LTE or only some of them. Are they going to decommission any of the Clearwire sites that are on the same tower as sprint or in close proximity to a sprint site? And what about the backhaul to the Clearwire LTE sites? Will the remain microwave or are they going to upgrade them to fiber backhaul? I ask all this because as of now, it doesn't seem like there are that many 8t8r sites in sacramento area, although a few of sprint sites have permits issued. Thanks!

Tim, can you clarify what Sprint plans to do with Clearwire's TD-LTE network? Are they going to upgrade every clearwire site to LTE or only some of them. Are they going to decommission any of the Clearwire sites that are on the same tower as sprint or in close proximity to a sprint site? And what about the backhaul to the Clearwire LTE sites? Will the remain microwave or are they going to upgrade them to fiber backhaul? I ask all this because as of now, it doesn't seem like there are that many 8t8r sites in sacramento area, although a few of sprint sites have permits issued. Thanks!

1) Every clear site that was slated to get Band 41 LTE to my knowledge is already live

2) Clear sites that are collocated or literally within a short distance are likely to be decommissioned in the future and replaced by the Sprint site. 

3) Clear backhaul is mostly microwave and highly variable. Some sites are on old Wimax era provisioning where each sector tops out at 20 mbps max with speeds hovering around 2-10 mbps while others are upgraded and top out 50-80 mbps. I would say 2 out of 3 Clear B41 site i've been at are upgraded to the 50-80 range.

4) Unknown but it's likely a lot of the MW equipment can be reused. Just gotta not daisy chain 8-14 sites in a row and have them all share one or two backhaul connections.

• Like 1