EVO will not connect to 4G no matter what

Mick3444

Hi there! I live in the sf bay market. My town has LTE throughout, however, after flashing a few custom roms, my 4G no longer works. I flashed cyanogenmod, and a few sense roms. I do not know when my 4G stopped working, because when they were flashed, I was not in an lte area. I have compared my phone to other evo lte's and while they get 4G, I remain on 3G. I have reflashed radios, wiped data, and flashed an ruu. Is there anyway to reset all network settings back to stock? I bought the phone off eBay so I cannot take my phone in for repair at a sprint store. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I bought the phone off eBay so I cannot take my phone in for repair at a sprint store.
If it's not a hardware repair or replacement, they'll charge you $0 if you don't have the protection plan.

That being said, it is "open enrollment" month for TEP, so if you found someone nice enough to put it on long enough to swap it out for you...

Just to make sure, the network mode was set to LTE/CDMA correct?

yeah it's on CDMA/LTE mode. I don't think it's hardware related, I think it's software. So is open enrollment where I can go to a sprint store and put tep on a used device?

Not sure how to do it on the EVOs, but get into the equivalent of the Samsung ##DATA# menu and select LTE only mode and see if you get any connection that way.

Ok so I switched it over to lte only mode and I was able to pick up a signal. But when I switched back to regular mode, it still only connects to 3G. And thanks so much for the help BTW!

So is open enrollment where I can go to a sprint store and put tep on a used device?

Yes, anyone without TEP can enroll during March. Now, technically, the device has to be in "good working order"...

The LTE signal is probably just below the threshold of where the phone will choose 3G over the weak LTE signal. It's better that way. I've had well less than 1 Mbps on a crappy LTE signal before. It's frustrating. You want it to be on the 3G signal in your case, trust me.

On the EVO with a Sense ROM, try setting the Preferred Mode to CDMA HDR LTE Only. That should allow you to connect to 4G when available and fallback to 3G if signal is too week or in a non 4G area.

I've been in many area where the lte signal is very strong, and other sprint lte devices will connect, and mine won't. I think something's borked in the process of discovering lte. I signed up for insurance, and I think I'm gonna go back to stock and take it in for repair. That's for the help!

I've been in many area where the lte signal is very strong, and other sprint lte devices will connect, and mine won't. I think something's borked in the process of discovering lte. I signed up for insurance, and I think I'm gonna go back to stock and take it in for repair. That's for the help!

There have been numerous discussions on this forum about how the evo lte has subpar radio performance for lte.

There have been numerous discussions on this forum about how the evo lte has subpar radio performance for lte.

I'm aware, but my issue doesn't have to do with the evo's subpar radio performance. I'm having an issue where the phone won't even search for an lte signal. There are three other evo's in my household, and while every single one of them will pick up a signal, mine will not. It used to pick up a signal just fine, but now something is broken.

I think in this case there is something wrong with the phone. He has mentioned comparing it against over EVOs, so I don't think it's the radio.

Can't say for certain, but flashing alternating radios can effect phone performance. I would try to get back to stock everything and see if your issues persist.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...

I had this happen on my Evo, barely hold a 1X or 3G connection, yet alone 4G. Basically what solved it was ##RTN# (##786#) then reseting I believe something in the network values. This also wiped the device (not the External SD) and when the reset was done, it came back and reactivated and connected to 3G and even 4G for a split second (fringe area for 4G at the moment). 

Running MeanBean if that makes any difference