EVO LTE performance report

ufergus

I live in DC which doesn't have great LTE coverage yet but I had the opportunity to spend a week in Austin,TX. I was staying in an area of Austin that has had most of the sites LTE enabled so I thought it would be a good test of how the phone really performs in a fully upgraded market. I was pleasantly surprised! I had a solid 4G signal most of the time and only fell back to 3G on occasion. When it did happen to fall back to 3G, the phone had no problems switching right back to 4G when moving back to a solid signal area. The best part, I don't recall my data connection wigging out like it does back in DC. After hearing horror stories of the EVO LTE performance, if the phone performs like this in DC when the market is more filled out, I will be a happy camper.

• Like 9

When you use Forum Runner or Tapatalk, you can't see what phone others are using. It makes it difficult.

Another good reason not to use those substitutes for the real thing...

;)

AJ

Another good reason not to use those substitutes for the real thing...

;)

AJ

Exactly, am I the only person that comes to the actual website using the browser on my phone versus using an app?

• Like 8

Exactly, am I the only person that comes to the actual website using the browser on my phone versus using an app?

My screen is too small for me to view the small writing. I prefer the use of Forum Runner on a Mobile phone, but I could try the mobile version of the site, but I'm sure it doesn't show any more details than Forum Runner.

Yes but the name of the thread is "EVO LTE performance report."

That's true. But how many people do you know that actually pay attention to thread titles? I've missed them a few times, that's for sure.

That's true. But how many people do you know that actually pay attention to thread titles? I've missed them a few times, that's for sure.

I don't read all the threads so I always read the subject.

That's true. But how many people do you know that actually pay attention to thread titles?

How many people? Seriously? It should be everyone. But maybe not paying attention to thread titles is a Forum Bummer and Yabba-dabba-dootalk thing.

AJ

• Like 3

I live in DC which doesn't have great LTE coverage yet but I had the opportunity to spend a week in Austin,TX. I was staying in an area of Austin that has had most of the sites LTE enabled so I thought it would be a good test of how the phone really performs in a fully upgraded market. I was pleasantly surprised! I had a solid 4G signal most of the time and only fell back to 3G on occasion. When it did happen to fall back to 3G, the phone had no problems switching right back to 4G when moving back to a solid signal area. The best part, I don't recall my data connection wigging out like it does back in DC. After hearing horror stories of the EVO LTE performance, if the phone performs like this in DC when the market is more filled out, I will be a happy camper.

Posts like these give me hope for when my area is blanketed in 4g (whenever that happens) :)

i had a similar experience with LTE performance on the LTEvo. In the SF Bay Area/San Jose markets coverage is still spotty causing me to stay on 3G with glimpses of 4G as I pass by a tower. Up close to the tower I have the expected high DL/UL speeds and then it drops as I drive away. Last weekend I stayed at the Westin in Downtown LA. From looking at the sponsor maps 4G completed towers are more densely packed in that area, resulting in 4G signal almost everywhere i went. Sans airplane mode toggle. It was nice to see the EVO holding strong as was expected upon launch. It is unfortunate that the phone was launched early NV. With my sampling in a strong 4G environment the EVO performs amazingly. At times I even had stable 4G signal when my buddies RAZR would be going back and forth between 3G and 4G on verizon.

I was in Austin from the 14th to the 17th and had a very similar experience with my EVO LTE. When first arriving at AUS airport I was discouraged by my first speed test, but once I got away from the airport and shot up 183, 4G was blazing. 4G is alive and well in Austin and I really hope its the same way in SE Michigan sooner than later!

i had a similar experience with LTE performance on the LTEvo. In the SF Bay Area/San Jose markets coverage is still spotty causing me to stay on 3G with glimpses of 4G as I pass by a tower. Up close to the tower I have the expected high DL/UL speeds and then it drops as I drive away. Last weekend I stayed at the Westin in Downtown LA. From looking at the sponsor maps 4G completed towers are more densely packed in that area, resulting in 4G signal almost everywhere i went. Sans airplane mode toggle. It was nice to see the EVO holding strong as was expected upon launch. It is unfortunate that the phone was launched early NV. With my sampling in a strong 4G environment the EVO performs amazingly. At times I even had stable 4G signal when my buddies RAZR would be going back and forth between 3G and 4G on verizon.

Ahhh yes. The Westin Bonaventure. Stayed there a few times and their pie shaped rooms. Enjoyed libations at the revolving lounge. I proposed to my wife at the restaurant on the top floor back in 1995. Good times.

And now the Bonaventure is even better. Bathed in Sprint LTE.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

Bathed, huh?

http://members.tripo...BB/batheher.wav

I could not resist...

(Try opening the clip in a new window.)

AJ

Sprint definitely has something funky going on around the airport. I was getting a 4G signal while roaming on Verizon for voice...

That has happened to me quite a few times. The reason being is that Sprint is deploying LTE with little to no downtilt initially. They will adjust it down when more adjacent sites come online. However, the 1x does have downtilt. So you may be able to get LTE in places you don't get a Sprint Native CDMA

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Ahhh yes. The Westin Bonaventure. Stayed there a few times and their pie shaped rooms. Enjoyed libations at the revolving lounge. I proposed to my wife at the restaurant on the top floor back in 1995. Good times.

Wedding proposal, well played sir. Stay classy san diago. The revolving lounge was disorienting, especially after a multiple libations, but cool none the less.

• Like 1

Nice report... What phone do you have

LOL bobbi, I was rolling on the floor after reading imex's question. :rofl: And crap man it's not like his post was buried near the bottom of the thread it was the second friggin post, lol! :lol:

5th

LOL bobbi, I was rolling on the floor after reading imex's question. :rofl: And crap man it's not like his post was buried near the bottom of the thread it was the second friggin post, lol! :lol:

5th

Ok guys, let's move on.... Missed the title/information while on tapatalk, nothing to see here :)

#facepalm

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

I have to agree with the OP's comments. Upon the initial rollout of LTE in Harrisburg it was definitely lacking compared to better fringe signal performers but now as the market matures, I am pleasantly surprised by its ability to hold a signal.