Friend with an SIII has mega weird problems...

aliensporebomb

My friend has a Galaxy SIII and since he bought it it's been doing very strange things - at points where people all around him have excellent reception his phone will drop to zero bars and stop communicating. His phone has also done very odd things like spontaneously rebooting itself and/or just shutting down with pretty decent battery (above 60%).

The weird thing is the "zero bars within visual distance of a nearby Sprint tower while others get full signal reception."

I was walking right next to him in a store where I was getting around -59 dBm reception on my Sprint phone and his phone was showing zero bars but about 75% battery.

I took a look at his settings and it seemed normal enough - there were no firmware upgrades to be had and it seemed normal enough except for the odd behavior. He hasn't dropped it - it still looks new and he only got it in October.

Well, he took the thing to our local Sprint service center and when the tech saw it he kind of got a little disgusted look and took it in the back room and apparently totally wiped the phone and pushed the latest firmware on it and restored all his data.

Now it's been working pretty well. Has anyone seen this with the SIII phone behaving erratically or just a particular firmware revision be fairly erratic?

"The towers are weird like that."

;)

AJ

• Like 6

My s3 completely cut off voice and sms service for me once. Weird thing was I still had working data. Phone keep showing very low signal in a good signal area, then would drop to roaming, then would go to saying no connection, though data still worked. Reboot would result in same cycle. Couldn't make a call even when it said roaming. Took it to a Sprint store and ended up having to do a factory reset anyway. Phone is completely stock, never done it since.

I think you guys would be amazed the number of weird issues a software reflash will correct. It's why techs usually want to do that before replacing a phone. Weird issues no one has ever seen often go away into thin air.

• Like 1

It's not just Sprint phones. I think its Android in general. Im stilll running on Verizon on Droid X till the end of this month.

Almost monthly I need to wipe phone phone and reload. it starts with slow response on the Dialer Screen then Random reboots, lockups and just slow response. I grit my teeth , wipe the phone and spend the next hour reloading the apps back on and good to go for another month.

Just wiping cache doesn't do it either. have to do a total wipre and reload

It's not just Sprint phones. I think its Android in general. Im stilll running on Verizon on Droid X till the end of this month.

Almost monthly I need to wipe phone phone and reload. it starts with slow response on the Dialer Screen then Random reboots, lockups and just slow response. I grit my teeth , wipe the phone and spend the next hour reloading the apps back on and good to go for another month.

I had a friend, he went thru 2 or 3 Droid X's, and 3 Droid X 2's before he got fed up and got iPhone's for him and his wife. There were major problems with both of those phones. From that experience alone he will hate Android for the rest of his life.

All kinds of weird things happen when certain files get corrupted or who knows what happens, maybe some line in the modem code gets boinked on a hard reset or something of the sort. AJ was joking when he said "The towers are like that," but in the case of the phones it's kinda true, "the phones are like that."

Sounds like my daughter's ipod touch. Have to wipe it every month or so as it goes wonky, locks up, slow, etc.

Sent from my little Note2

All kinds of weird things happen when certain files get corrupted or who knows what happens, maybe some line in the modem code gets boinked on a hard reset or something of the sort. AJ was joking when he said "The towers are like that," but in the case of the phones it's kinda true, "the phones are like that."

I feel sorry for the user that have had these problems with Android (or even the iPhone). The majority of problems I have seen were caused by an errant app or two that was poorly written. It wasn't necessarily the phone in those cases, but the poorly written apps they kept reinstalling even after switching devices multiple times.

I had a friend, he went thru 2 or 3 Droid X's, and 3 Droid X 2's before he got fed up and got iPhone's for him and his wife. There were major problems with both of those phones. From that experience alone he will hate Android for the rest of his life.

i couldnt wait to switch back to sprint last december and get rid of ours. i liked how they felt in my hand and were solid phones. they didnt have to have a case or i felt like i was going to drop it like our slim slippery gs3s. but the software left something to be desired.