iPhone 5 RF Performance

spotmeterf64

My iPhone seems to lock onto LTE very well even if the signal is weak (100-114 decibels. Signal still amazingly works sometimes but it's like slow 3G). However my phone tends to do this a lot and eats my battery.

Who is providing the equipment in your area? Samsung/Ericson/ALU? It could be related to that.

I'm in an ALU market.

• 1 month later...

From the way I've understood it, it is a combination of the ip5's firmware for power saving, the PRL, Sprint's QOS mapping algorithms, and the orthogonality of the LTE spec.

As Sprint adds more and more sites and carriers, as they add the top-of-tower upgrades (even greater signal strength), and especially the rollout of 800SMR (which is I guess just more carriers and sites, in a way) it will improve.

• 1 month later...

I haven't really had a problem with battery performance with my ip5.  It's been pretty good to me.  Even on a normal day, it's decent, and I can go from 0500 to 2200 without any issue, even with moderate use. 

Right now, since Sprint is updating the towers in my area, I experience alot of jumping between domestic roaming and 3G.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using a Galaxy Nexus, which is well known for crappy RF Performance and poor battery life.

I am ready to sell this phone back to Sprint, not only for it's poor RF performance and battery life, but also for it's idiosyncrasies of stock Android (it doesn't split long texts, no visual voicemail to name a few).

Been missing iOS. Had an iPhone 4 and iPad, loved the OS and more than that the apps. But, if I am going to do this the phone has to be better than the Nexus.

Battery life I presume will be good; the Nexus will get me to Noon with the stock battery with medium usage, I presume the iPhone 5 will get me to the end of the day, if it's in any way similar to the iPhone 4 (maybe even through to the next day). This is one thing that Apple has figured out.

One thing that a lot of reviewers don't mention is RF performance. How well does the phone hold a signal, and is it capable of making calls successfully in poor signal areas?

Thanks for any insight regarding this. I realize I can buy the phone and try it for 14 days, which I will more than likely do in the near future, but in the meantime I'd like to hear it from people that have used the phone for a while.

Stock android is just that..stock android....not fluff..no skins..just android...the gnex rf isn't good..and that small battery can't handle the onslaught of the power hungry via baseband.  I invested in a seidio mega battery for my gnex.  I can go for a couple of days at most..usually one as i like to use my phone quite a bit..and in bad signal areas.  my wife's iphone 5's battery lasts about a day at most...3g rf is better than the gnex but not stellar.  Sprint has been having issues on both phones lately.  Only my daughter non smartphone trender is working without issues.  My mother-in-laws mach apparently isn't having issues..but i can only say that because she hasn't called and usually does when it acts up.