Network Vision Explained

I'm not going to lie' date=' snot flew out of my nose at 1:02.[/quote']
You'd be surprised what iDEN customers have complained about in terms of their devices.
Okay I did lie a little bit.. Sorry' date=' I was looking at how much time was left in the video. It was around :46 when the snot rocket launched.

looool. Stop paying for internal videos to be produced and finish Chicagoland.
And Floridaland.

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint needs to explain better how Sprint network vision project will affect their customers... Prepaid customers in particular boost mobile iden customers...and those sprint customers to be kick out because of excessive roaming as they leave complete citie.. offnetwork... ie. Bainbridge, Georgia.. Decatur County. Population 30,000

2- iden footprint is 30% bigger than CDMA, nationwide ... they shutdown the map in sprint.com, still up in boostmobile.com

As it is right now they are upgrading current CDMA cells to network vision, making it all CDMA 800/1900 AND LTE all together , while shutting down iDEN cell sites.... therefore making the footprint 30 % smaller, leaving entire towns without one wireless competitor, FCC must be informed about this... soon..

No wonder Mr Hesse is informing investors in advance of the huge amount of current iden suscriber churn... He didn't mentioned, many cannot be migrated to direct connect even if they wanted to... THERE WON'T BE NATIVE CDMA COVERAGE...

Do you guys have any different information ?

Sprint needs to explain better how Sprint network vision project will affect their customers... Prepaid customers in particular boost mobile iden customers...and those sprint customers to be kick out because of excessive roaming as they leave complete citie.. offnetwork... ie. Bainbridge' date=' Georgia.. Decatur County. Population 30,000

2- iden footprint is 30% bigger than CDMA, nationwide ... they shutdown the map in sprint.com, still up in boostmobile.com

As it is right now they are upgrading current CDMA cells to network vision, making it all CDMA 800/1900 AND LTE all together , while shutting down iDEN cell sites.... therefore making the footprint 30 % smaller, leaving entire towns without one wireless competitor, FCC must be informed about this... soon..

No wonder Mr Hesse is informing investors in advance of the huge amount of current iden suscriber churn... He didn't mentioned, many cannot be migrated to direct connect even if they wanted to... THERE WON'T BE NATIVE CDMA COVERAGE...

Do you guys have any different information ?[/quote']

The FCC is well aware. Sprint is not in violation of any FCC policies with how it is using 800 SMR spectrum. In fact, the FCC is bending over backwards to help Sprint reuse the spectrum. The FCC considers Sprint's revised 800 footprint with CDMA and LTE to be a much better use than a dying technology like iDEN, even with a greater coverage area. And I think most of the world agrees with that.

Likely only affected customers would disagree. However, would it be helpful for you to continue to have useless 2G iDEN in these areas indefinitely? Not likely.

Also, the 30% greater coverage you reference is in square miles, not in customers. The last estimate I did was the Nextel only coverage areas only had two million people in them. And how many of these people are iDEN subscribers? Very small. Maybe 50,000?

I have been critical of Sprint in the past on this subject. I believe Sprint could service all of the current iDEN coverage areas with 1,000 CDMA/LTE sites. And they should keep these. However, Sprint's decision here is not personal, its financial. They cannot afford a Network Vision scope larger than they have committed to now. And that leaves me disappointed. However, it is an informed and intelligent decision. I just disagree with it.

Complaining to the FCC now is pointless. They have approved Sprint's 800 plans in two decisions this year. There are no hurdles left. If anything, the FCC have been accomplices. The FCC could have made the condition that they cannot reduce 800 coverage as a condition of approval. Yet, they didn't. Probably because they can see Sprint cannot afford to do it.

One silver lining to all of this is that once Network Vision is complete, Sprint should start returning toward profitability. And network expansion will start to reoccur again. Especially in areas with high roaming usage.

If you live in an area where you will lose iDEN service, but never regain CDMA/LTE service, then Sprint is not going to be the carrier for you. Sprint is allowing iDEN customers to leave ETF free. I can understand your frustrations, as I would not want to lose Sprint service either. And, by my quick calculations, about 50k customers out of Sprint's 50M+ are in your situation.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

The FCC is well aware. Sprint is not in violation of any FCC policies with how it is using 800 SMR spectrum. In fact, the FCC is bending over backwards to help Sprint reuse the spectrum. The FCC considers Sprint's revised 800 footprint with CDMA and LTE to be a much better use than a dying technology like iDEN, even with a greater coverage area. And I think most of the world agrees with that.

Likely only affected customers would disagree. However, would it be helpful for you to continue to have useless 2G iDEN in these areas indefinitely? Not likely.

Also, the 30% greater coverage you reference is in square miles, not in customers. The last estimate I did was the Nextel only coverage areas only had two million people in them. And how many of these people are iDEN subscribers? Very small. Maybe 50,000?

I have been critical of Sprint in the past on this subject. I believe Sprint could service all of the current iDEN coverage areas with 1,000 CDMA/LTE sites. And they should keep these. However, Sprint's decision here is not personal, its financial. They cannot afford a Network Vision scope larger than they have committed to now. And that leaves me disappointed. However, it is an informed and intelligent decision. I just disagree with it.

Complaining to the FCC now is pointless. They have approved Sprint's 800 plans in two decisions this year. There are no hurdles left. If anything, the FCC have been accomplices. The FCC could have made the condition that they cannot reduce 800 coverage as a condition of approval. Yet, they didn't. Probably because they can see Sprint cannot afford to do it.

One silver lining to all of this is that once Network Vision is complete, Sprint should start returning toward profitability. And network expansion will start to reoccur again. Especially in areas with high roaming usage.

If you live in an area where you will lose iDEN service, but never regain CDMA/LTE service, then Sprint is not going to be the carrier for you. Sprint is allowing iDEN customers to leave ETF free. I can understand your frustrations, as I would not want to lose Sprint service either. And, by my quick calculations, about 50k customers out of Sprint's 50M+ are in your situation.

Thanks for the reply.. I'm not complaining about the iDEN shutdown , Not replacing it , it's a different story, 1 competitor less in thousands of small towns , less competition, higher prices, , so how come SPRINT does not inform customers, communities, cities, about this... ? what cities and towns they are abandoning ?

Sprint needs to explain better how Sprint network vision project will affect their customers... Prepaid customers in particular boost mobile iden customers...and those sprint customers to be kick out because of excessive roaming as they leave complete citie.. offnetwork... ie. Bainbridge, Georgia.. Decatur County. Population 30,000

Do you guys have any different information ?

You can read more about the shutdown of the Nextel iDEN Network at http://nextelnetwork.sprint.com and http://newsroom.spri...article_id=2296.

Actually you can still view the Nextel iDEN Coverage Map at http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp? and under Direct Connect, select Nextel.

Thanks for the reply.. I'm not complaining about the iDEN shutdown ' date=' Not replacing it , it's a different story, 1 competitor less in thousands of small towns , less competition, higher prices, , so how come SPRINT does not inform customers, communities, cities, about this... ? what cities and towns they are abandoning ?[/quote']

Sprint has been saying they are completely shutting down the iDEN network for a few years now. All iDEN customers are affected and need to find other service. Sprint CDMA is just one option. And for 50,000 customers, it wont be an option at all.

If you want to see which communities will not have the option of commuting to Sprint CDMA service, you can compare the iDEN coverage maps to the CDMA coverage maps.

You can read more about the shutdown of the Nextel iDEN Network at http://nextelnetwork.sprint.com and http://newsroom.spri...article_id=2296.

Actually you can still view the Nextel iDEN Coverage Map at http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp? and under Direct Connect, select Nextel.

News release is almost insulting... how are they are going to switch government and business in bainbridge , georgia to Direct connect CDMA ??

Are they telling current customers in big cities, say, Atlanta , (Government, Business ) that if they switch to "enhanced" Direct Connect CDMA, they will enjoy 30% LESS covarage nationwide, and that they will not be able to use their phone/ walkie talkies, in many towns in Georgia where they conduct business ??

News release is almost insulting... how are they are going to switch government and business in bainbridge ' date=' georgia to Direct connect CDMA ??

Are they telling current customers in big cities, say, Atlanta , (Government, Business ) that if they switch to "enhanced" Direct Connect CDMA, they will enjoy 30% LESS covarage nationwide, and that they will not be able to use their phone/ walkie talkies, in many towns in Georgia where they conduct business ??[/quote']

It is done. There is nothing more that is going to happen. Customers in Bainbridge, even government customers, will have to find a new carrier.

However, it is not accurate to say all customers are going to lose 30% coverage going to Sprint Direct Connect. In fact, in the next few months their coverage is going way up. SDC devices will be able to roam soon on Verizon and other carriers with full PTT connectivity.

So SDC customers are going to have a 70% increase in coverage, not a 30% decrease. However, iDEN customers in non native Sprint CDMA area will not be able to subscribe, because Sprint does not allow permanent roaming.

...they will enjoy 30% LESS coverage nationwide...

You keep repeating this 30 percent areal coverage statistic. Is that just a guess on your part? Or do you have an actual source to corroborate it? If the former, stop it. Your guess appears to be way off. If the latter, please cite a source.

Or just use these sources. But the maps do not seem to bear out your 30 percent assertion. 10 percent difference? Maybe. And the native coverage advantage is highly variable. Yes, in some states, native Nextel iDEN has a definite edge. But, in other states, native Sprint CDMA1X takes the lead.

http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/images/mapvoicenextelUS.gif

http://support.sprint.com/global/images/support/exception_map_v1_en.jpg

So, sorry, your complaint for possibly 50,000 subs on a network of about 50 million subs is going to fall on deaf ears. What is good for the whole is far, far, far more important than what is good for those arguably unprofitable 50,000. And, like it or not, that is just utilitarianism.

AJ

• Like 1

You know, I felt the same way back when Sony stopped producing Betamax units. Didn't they know how many of their loyal customers had invested in that format? I purchased my Betamax unit and tapes in good faith and they needed to honor their implied commitment to support that technology ad infinitum. How dare they! I still haven't gotten over that.

:rolleyes:

You keep repeating this 30 percent areal coverage statistic. Is that just a guess on your part? Or do you have an actual source to corroborate it? If the former, stop it. Your guess appears to be way off. If the latter, please cite a source.

Or just use these sources. But the maps do not seem to bear out your 30 percent assertion. 10 percent difference? Maybe. And the native coverage advantage is highly variable. Yes, in some states, native Nextel iDEN has a definite edge. But, in other states, native Sprint CDMA1X takes the lead.

http://coverage.spri...icenextelUS.gif

http://support.sprin...n_map_v1_en.jpg

So, sorry, your complaint for possibly 50,000 subs on a network of about 50 million subs is going to fall on deaf ears. What is good for the whole is far, far, far more important than what is good for those arguably unprofitable 50,000. And, like it or not, that is just utilitarianism.

AJ

Thank you for your reply, You and I know how much bigger Sprint iDen coverage is over CDMA... I can see the same maps... Just zoom in South of Atlanta, Georgia , or even compare I-16 and I-75,

When Sprint announce Network Vision back in late 2010, they said they will pick the best coverage towers, upgrade to Network Vision and get rid of the overlapping ones..

Now 2012 , they are saying the will treat CDMA towers with Network Vision and shutdown ( not treating ) ALL iDen towers, leaving many, many ( do you want me to count them in your maps ) without sprint service , Unable to upgrade

They don't tell you this in the press release...

FCC just doesn't allow merger of wireless companies just to leave any market with less competion, all together....

Also, you are just assuming Government and/or business employees don't travel outside their home cities... ROAMING is not the answer as many Sprint suscribers get kick off CDMA for excessive roaming...

You know, I felt the same way back when Sony stopped producing Betamax units. Didn't they know how many of their loyal customers had invested in that format? I purchased my Betamax unit and tapes in good faith and they needed to honor their implied commitment to support that technology ad infinitum. How dare they! I still haven't gotten over that.

No, you are wrong... I'm a tech enthusiast , There are towns where there is iDen coverage and no CDMA coverage... this iDen sites should be upgraded to Network Vision, not just abandon those markets... Roaming is a smoke curtain that Sprint uses pretty well...

Technology wise , I love that iDen gets discontinued so we can use the same local service for free, we all move to emergency mode, and can talk 6 miles away with each other before starting paying for minutes...

Lack of competition and spectrum storage is a different issue

:rolleyes:

Wow, I didn't realize I said all that in my other post. I didn't know the quote feature added words. Now it will look for all posterity like I just told myself I was wrong. However shall I reclaim my reputation?

FCC just doesn't allow merger of wireless companies just to leave any market with less competion' date=' all together...[/quote']

You say that, but the FCC has agreed to all this. The FCC understands that tens of millions of customers benefit, however not 100% of customers will in this instance.

Your logic is flawed, because you focus on only these 50k customers. You fail to reference with what the FCC has approved, they are bringing more LTE competition to millions of people.

It sounds like Sprint is no longer going to meet your needs.

Also' date=' you are just assuming Government and/or business employees don't travel outside their home cities... ROAMING is not the answer as many Sprint suscribers get kick off CDMA for excessive roaming...[/quote']

PTT roaming is planned to be unlimited for business customers and very high limits for personal accounts. So long as the User is not permanent roaming.

• Like 2

Thank you for your reply, You and I know how much bigger Sprint iDen coverage is over CDMA... I can see the same maps... Just zoom in South of Atlanta, Georgia , or even compare I-16 and I-75,

You are focusing on coverage in one small area of the country. Yet, you are making assertions about coverage footprint nationwide. Moreover, you are dodging my question. What is the source of your 30 percent nationwide areal coverage difference? Back it up. Or retract it.

FCC just doesn't allow merger of wireless companies just to leave any market with less competion, all together....

What merger is this? The Sprint-Nextel merger? The FCC does not consent to a merger, then impose conditions on that merger fully seven years later. So, if you are referring to the Sprint-Nextel merger, that is irrelevant.

Additionally, you obviously fail to understand the FCC licensing scheme for the ESMR portion of the SMR 800 MHz band. Markets are defined by Basic Economic Area (BEA). Sprint is not leaving any BEAs. Yes, Sprint may reduce coverage in some BEAs, but Sprint will remain a competitor in all BEAs in which it currently offers service. See the BEA map:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/data/maps/ea.pdf

AJ

• Like 1

I have come to the realization that iDEN zealots are a lot like the Gelgamek Catholics...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104227/an-attempt-at-reform

Their "needs" are way out there. And what works for them may not work for the rest of us. So, despite their rabble rabble, we may have to just forget about the iDEN zealots for the moment.

AJ

• Like 1

I have come to the realization that iDEN zealots are a lot like the Gelgamek Catholics...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104227/an-attempt-at-reform

Their "needs" are way out there. And what works for them may not work for the rest of us. So' date=' despite their rabble rabble, we may have to just forget about the iDEN zealots for the moment.

AJ[/quote']

I'm thinking AT&T Advocate, myself.

• Like 2

50K subscribers is 0.1% of the total subscribers serviced by Sprint.

I think lisandroacostas' uncle must work for nextel.

Did you do an iDEN speed test getting 3 Gbps?

• Like 1

50K subscribers is 0.1% of the total subscribers serviced by Sprint.

I think lisandroacostas' uncle must work for nextel.

Did you do an iDEN speed test getting 3 Gbps?

Some people are still angry that Sprint bought Nextel all those years ago, so they will take it out on Sprint until Nextel is finally shut down next year.

Some people are still angry that Sprint bought Nextel all those years ago, so they will take it out on Sprint until Nextel is finally shut down next year.

Nextel was awesome, until text messaging replaced PTT. I think I would stab someone if they sent an alert to my phone today...

• Like 2