Network Vision Explained

• 1 month later...

From reading these post and watching vids about Network Vision, to me it's almost like Sprint is admitting that their Current Network Sucks. Wonder why they waited so long to listen to the loyal custys? Will NV Roll out before they lose another half $billion

From reading these post and watching vids about Network Vision, to me it's almost like Sprint is admitting that their Current Network Sucks. Wonder why they waited so long to listen to the loyal custys? Will NV Roll out before they lose another half $billion

You are new here, so you get a little leeway.  But these issues have been hashed out many times over in numerous other threads.  A few search queries and some reading are your friends.

Long story short, many people fail to understand that the losses you speak of are mostly paper losses and actual losses from continuing to operate the dead weight Nextel iDEN network.  The Sprint CDMA2000 network, on the other hand, is profitable.  But the Nextel iDEN network goes the way of the dodo in less than a month.  The losses will soon come to an end.

As for the Sprint network, Clearwire's WiMAX deployment was supposed to absorb a lot of the growing data traffic.  But Clearwire ran into financial problems and failed to follow through.  Sprint's plan to keep its network current was fine; Clearwire's execution of that plan was not.

AJ

• Like 6

Yep I'm a newbie and I don't know the tech jargon. Since experiencing NV I've found myself addicted to looking at Cell Towers hoping to see a few good ppl dangling from 1 and it be Sprints

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question...so I know its been discussed in other threads that sprint is upgrading every single tower in their network (thats the very basics of knowing what NV is) and that sprint 4g lte will have an advantage because instead of doing a "blanket" treatment of LTE like att does they will upgrade every tower.  My question is will the towers that have been upgraded and are 3g only, will they some time in the future see LTE?  For example Phoenix, AZ is getting a ton of 3g updates and it looks like they will get the LTE "blanket" effect.  Looking at other markets there are a lot of just 3g tower updates instead of 3g/4g updates.  So I'm just wondering if that is how it will stay or if all towers eventually will have 4g turned on because they are capable of it now with the new backhaul and equipment at the site.

Thanks for the response!  I was just under the impression that when a NV 3g tower came on that the backhaul was already in place.

It may be, it may not be (most likely not). Alcatel-Lucent seems to enjoy updating 3G only first then going back through 60-90 days later and getting the LTE hooked up. This may be a planned design due to backhaul delays. They can get all of the equipment installed and if backhaul is available, awesome; if not, they already have a second visit preliminarily scheduled that should be far enough out that backhaul will be in place at that time.

I know a site near my house that has been upgraded and obviously has new backhaul installed (100kbps before, 2.5mbps after upgrade) but 4G LTE is not hooked up yet. Other sites may not have the backhaul available and may just get hooked up to the legacy backhaul if it can be, or left alone with no connections until backhaul is available.

Network Vision is a living breathing thing. We know the end result. However, there are hundreds of things that all need to be in place to complete even a single site. Any one of these things can delay a part or all of a site's upgrades. This is why a specific map of specific tower upgrade plans is not available I don't think even the vendors really know what order everything is going to happen. They're just working on whatever tower they are able to get access to (rooftop access by landlord, etc.), with the equipment needed for the site (I'm near the IBEZ and we have quite a few GMO sites here as well, each have their own unique characteristics), the backhaul in place by the vendor (CenturyLink in my area mostly), and the contractors in place to get the actual work done. Add to that the Arizona heat where I'm at, storms in other areas of the country, etc. and it all can be even further delayed or otherwise slowed compared to the initial plan..

• Like 3

I have a question...so I know its been discussed in other threads that sprint is upgrading every single tower in their network (thats the very basics of knowing what NV is) and that sprint 4g lte will have an advantage because instead of doing a "blanket" treatment of LTE like att does they will upgrade every tower.  My question is will the towers that have been upgraded and are 3g only, will they some time in the future see LTE?  For example Phoenix, AZ is getting a ton of 3g updates and it looks like they will get the LTE "blanket" effect.  Looking at other markets there are a lot of just 3g tower updates instead of 3g/4g updates.  So I'm just wondering if that is how it will stay or if all towers eventually will have 4g turned on because they are capable of it now with the new backhaul and equipment at the site.

It will be like San Diego.  We started seeing 3G accepted sites 4th quarter 2012 and didn't see our first LTE live sites until Feb 2013.

Phoenix should be quick because Cox can deliver back-haul within 30-60 days.  Most of San Diego's LTE sites that were live quickly were most likely back-hauled by Cox.  Anything back-haul provided by AT&T are taking at least 6 months.  If Sprint was union it would be 2 months delivery instead of 6 months.

Phoenix should see LTE this summer.   :tu:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Im hoping bucdenny prediction will come true for Phoenix Az. Ive been waiting for any 4g since I bought the epic 4g lol when it first came out what 3 years ago? With the Sprint stores saying to me the whole time frame "its just around the corner" and "should only be a couple more months". I purchased the galaxy note 2 last summer with the hopes lte would be out my ends year last year.. Maybe this year?? I predict no later than the end of 2014. Well see.

I actually don't live in the Phoenix market but I used that as an example for my question. But from what I'm seeing you should have 4G LTE pop up by the end of this summer and you should have quite a few towers done by the end of this year with the backhaul. NV should be fully completed by I think 2nd or 3rd quarter next year so you definitely don't have to wait till the end of next year for it!

Phoenix should be quick because Cox can deliver back-haul within 30-60 days.  Most of San Diego's LTE sites that were live quickly were most likely back-hauled by Cox.

Oh yeah!  Cox is gettin' da hookup!

:P

AJ

Im hoping bucdenny prediction will come true for Phoenix Az. Ive been waiting for any 4g since I bought the epic 4g lol when it first came out what 3 years ago? With the Sprint stores saying to me the whole time frame "its just around the corner" and "should only be a couple more months". I purchased the galaxy note 2 last summer with the hopes lte would be out my ends year last year.. Maybe this year?? I predict no later than the end of 2014. Well see.

We were in the same boat for San Diego market with 3G accepted work in 4th quarter 2012.  On the sponsor maps, Phoenix has many sites 3G accepted.  It is a matter of plugging in the 100Mbps+ fiber from Cox or CenturyLink.  

My prediction will be summer 2013 you will start seeing sites with 4G LTE.  Cox and CenturyLink are faster than AT&T when it comes to delivering the back-haul.

This a comparison of Cox and AT&T in San Diego market.  If we had more Cox fiber area's, I think we would had more LTE sites live.

So now that Nextel is shutdown and NV is going on all over the country... When do you think we will see the finished product? End of 2013 or 2014 or 2015?

On going major project.  Sprint is replacing everything.  Most likely over 75% completed throughout the US by end of 2013.  I believe this week they reached milestone of over 50% completion.

We were in the same boat for San Diego market with 3G accepted work in 4th quarter 2012.  On the sponsor maps, Phoenix has many sites 3G accepted.  It is a matter of plugging in the 100Mbps+ fiber from Cox or CenturyLink.  

My prediction will be summer 2013 you will start seeing sites with 4G LTE.  Cox and CenturyLink is a lot faster than AT&T when it comes to delivering the back-haul.

This a comparison of Cox and AT&T in San Diego market.  If we had more Cox fiber area's, I think we would had more LTE sites live.

Wait.. It's not the summer of 2013 yet?!??!?!

vbJLH8u.png

Wait.. It's not the summer of 2013 yet?!??!?!

vbJLH8u.png

Seems about right. People up here are complaining about the heat. Me, I'm a transplant from the LA area, so I'm good and comfortable!

Screenshot_2013-07-01-18-34-39_zps193ec6

so i have been having very very very slow 3g speed as of two weeks i always got 1.16mbps  i contacted sprint and they said service advisory network vision in progress? what does this mean i know my tower near my house hasnt started NV yet so???? they where on the tower about two weeks ago but left because it as raining here in nj  everyday!