Galaxy Nexus vs GS2

P_M_G

So my 14yo dropped her Epic 4G (slider) and spidered the screen. Sprint won't fix it and no insurance.

My options are buy a used/refurb one off eBay for $75-100 or, because she's got an upgrade, get her a new phone.

I'd prefer not to spend anything if possible and see BB has both the Nexus and the GS2 for free with upgrade. I'm looking for feedback on:

Battery - she's a hog so I like the extended battery available for the Nexus

Radios - the Epic 4G sux so any improvement is good

I know the Nexus has LTE which is a plus though it's not lit near me yet (soon) and has a much higher res screen while the GS2 has WIMAX (very very limited in my area) and a better camera (so I've heard). 4G is not really much of a selling point as she streams mostly at home on WIFI anyway.

I welcome all opinions...are the radios in the Nexus so bad it's worth the Sprint bloat, lower res screen of the GS2 paired with no chance of 4G for another couple years?

I wouldn't look at either one. The galaxy nexus has horrible battery life and a horrible radio.

The GS2 is just old at this point.

Have you thought about the samsung victory? Those go for a penny on wireless.amazon.com and elsewhere.

That's my vote for low cost + good battery life + good reception.

If you can get a deal on the GS3 or the EVO 4G LTE, those are better choices.

• Like 1

So my 14yo dropped her Epic 4G (slider) and spidered the screen. Sprint won't fix it and no insurance.

My options are buy a used/refurb one off eBay for 75-100 or' date=' because she's got an upgrade, get her a new phone.

I'd prefer not to spend anything if possible and see BB has both the Nexus and the GS2 for free with upgrade. I'm looking for feedback on:

Battery - she's a hog so I like the extended battery available for the Nexus

Radios - the Epic 4G sux so any improvement is good

I know the Nexus has LTE which is a plus though it's not lit near me yet (soon) and has a much higher res screen while the GS2 has WIMAX (very very limited in my area) and a better camera (so I've heard). 4G is not really much of a selling point as she streams mostly at home on WIFI anyway.

I welcome all opinions...are the radios in the Nexus so bad it's worth the Sprint bloat, lower res screen of the GS2 paired with no chance of 4G for another couple years?[/quote']

I agree with irev210 about the Galaxy Nexus. If I had an upgrade available, my Nexus would have been thrown against a brick wall at this point. I wish I had kept going with the LG Viper, then I would at least have usable data all the time at home. As for the GS2, too old to use an upgrade on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Look on Amazon Wireless. Phones are generally cheaper there than at Best Buy or Sprint stores. Free 2 day shipping too. No way to get out of the upgrade fee though.

Don't waste an upgrade on the GSII; they're cheap on Craigslist and eBay. The Nexus has a poor radio and poor battery life.

I agree with irev210 about the Galaxy Nexus. If I had an upgrade available, my Nexus would have been thrown against a brick wall at this point. I wish I had kept going with the LG Viper, then I would at least have usable data all the time at home. As for the GS2, too old to use an upgrade on.

LOL, tell us how you really feel about your nexus. I am not gonna lie though, my nexus frustrates the hell out of me as well. When I first got it it was so awesome but once the newness wore off it began to show its true colors and with that being said it will get replaced with either a note 2 or whatever sprint comes out with next. As for the topic at hand, I agree with both responses, the gnex and the gs2 are a total waste at this point. If I am not mistaken you can get an evo/gs3 on amazon for a penny, I think thats your best option.

Edit: That might be for a new line of service only, it may be a little more when using an upgrade but check it out and see.

Edit 2: Nevermind, upgrade price on amazon for a gs3 $99 and for the evo its $49

LOL' date=' tell us how you really feel about your nexus. I am not gonna lie though, my nexus frustrates the hell out of me as well. When I first got it it was so awesome but once the newness wore off it began to show its true colors and with that being said it will get replaced with either a note 2 or whatever sprint comes out with next. As for the topic at hand, I agree with both responses, the gnex and the gs2 are a total waste at this point. If I am not mistaken you can get an evo/gs3 on amazon for a penny, I think thats your best option.

Edit: That might be for a new line of service only, it may be a little more when using an upgrade but check it out and see.

Edit 2: Nevermind, upgrade price on amazon for a gs3 99 and for the evo its 49[/quote']

I really want to plant some explosives on my GNex and watch the fireworks fly!

I wouldn't look at either one. The galaxy nexus has horrible battery life and a horrible radio.

The GS2 is just old at this point.

Have you thought about the samsung victory? Those go for a penny on wireless.amazon.com and elsewhere.

That's my vote for low cost + good battery life + good reception.

If you can get a deal on the GS3 or the EVO 4G LTE, those are better choices.

The updated 4.2.1 radios is far from horrible.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry but the radio's in the galaxy nexus are in fact pretty bad.

• Like 1

If she wants the keyboard, i picked up the Motorola Photon Q for both my wife and mother. Solid device, penny at amazon wireless

I forgot about the photon q but the penny price is for a new line of service only, its 39.99 if upgrading or adding a line.

I really want to plant some explosives on my GNex and watch the fireworks fly! Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner
Sorry but the radio's in the galaxy nexus are in fact pretty bad.

Making me nervous since I just ordered one off of eBay. :unsure:

That's because you are in Chicago. I have 30 to 50 ft tall trees my signal has to pass thru before it gets to me from the tower. It makes for really bad service on this VIA chipset. My Viper did better in terms of signal interference.

I forgot about the photon q but the penny price is for a new line of service only, its 39.99 if upgrading or adding a line.

Sometime after new years it went penny for upgrades, that is what I paid for my wifey's upgrade.

Well my speeds and MY signal ISN'T bro lol.

I am not saying you will get bad speeds or have a bad experience with the gnex, what I am saying if you had another phone to compare it too the nexus will show that its signal strength is weaker at any given moment. I am in atlanta and at any given moment my evo will have a stronger connection than my gnex, whether it may be 1x, evdo or lte, I have also done this same test with a gs3 with the same results. When I am in St. Thomas at my office, where I am lucky to get 1 may be 2 bars, my evo will make and receive calls and texts just fine where as my gnex will be delayed because of the signal being even weaker on that phone or it will be roaming all together while my evo will still be on sprint just fine.

• Like 2

Making me nervous since I just ordered one off of eBay. :unsure:

I mean if you are way out in the middle of no where then you should be nervous but if you are in an area where sprint has decent coverage then I wouldn't worry so much, battery life is another thing though.

Sometime after new years it went penny for upgrades, that is what I paid for my wifey's upgrade.

Oh ok, guess they must have had some sort of special or what not. I checked it last night when I selected upgrade or add a line and it switched to 39.99.

I have a gs2. The phone is fast and great, but no lte. Id get gs2 over nexus it has way more software features. My wife has the nexus and the radio is awful! Plus the nexus has no gorilla glass or sdcard slot. Its fragile and very poor build quality vs gs2 and s3 You can get a s3 for $50 right now through best buy. Id pass on both. Your locked for 2 years and with Network Vision spreading like wild fires get an lte phone. Shop around you can upgrade cheap to a newer lte phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by miketucky350

When it comes to radio performance, my GNex was the worst phone I've ever had. It was extremely frustrating living in a rural area. I spend half my time in mediocre signal areas, and the GNex would be unusable.

It was sad for me, because it was a great device. I loved it. I still do. For people whom spend most of their time in urban areas, the GNex is probably fine, though.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

thanks guys - real world data is always better than just guessing.

I looked at the Photon Q but no removeable battery is a deal breaker for her ...

half me says hell no to getting her a GS3 since her phone would then kick my phone's @ss (Evo 3D waiting for .... )

• Like 2

actually 99 at BB with the $50 gift card reward makes a GS3 more palatable...though the victory would be nice for free and similar to her current phone (less the slider but plus LTE for future)...argh!

thanks guys - real world data is always better than just guessing.

I looked at the Photon Q but no removeable battery is a deal breaker for her ...

half me says hell no to getting her a GS3 since her phone would then kick my phone's @ss (Evo 3D waiting for .... )

Keep the s3 for yourself and hand down the 3D. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Not a fan of the S3 honestly....prefer LCD to amoled and have never liked TWIZ...hoping the M7 does the trick for me and then my 10yo gets my 3D (she's on my old BB Curve since her handed down Samsung Rant just died).

I mean if you are way out in the middle of no where then you should be nervous but if you are in an area where sprint has decent coverage then I wouldn't worry so much, battery life is another thing though.

Oh ok, guess they must have had some sort of special or what not. I checked it last night when I selected upgrade or add a line and it switched to 39.99.

Maybe I should be grateful that the seller never sent the phone and I had to process a claim against him. :P

Maybe I should be grateful that the seller never sent the phone and I had to process a claim against him. :P

I hate when people do that. As long as you get your money back, then that is a good thing.